10 fave Robot designs from any/all series!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by badlander86, Apr 8, 2012.

1. badlander86

badlander86 Expendable Tactician

Hey fellas,

Figured I'd compare tastes with other fellow robot fans and share my 10 fave robots from all the anime/cartoons/sci-fi shows/games I've watched and enjoyed over the years. This isn't one of those 10 "Best" robots thread or a VS argument just sharing some personal favorites that might help other fans uncover some hidden mecha gems and designs that might be to their liking. Pics are optional but highly recommended. Also sharing a little background (series/game that robot is from) is recommended so that other fans won't hound you for too many details.

I'll get the ball rolling with my 10 faves in no particular order:

1. Grendizer (UFO Robo Grendizer)
    [​IMG]

When I was REALLY young, Grendizer was one of my first anime I ever saw without ever hearing the term "anime". I had no idea who or what Mazinger or Go Nagai was but Grendizer was something that always stuck to me mainly due to the UFO thing and I remember small carnivals offering these weird UFO rides with Grendizer's face on them. Not as well regarded as Go Nagai's other stuff like Mazinger or Getter Robo but I think Grendizer is pretty unique on its on.

2. Exia (Mobile Suit Gundam OO)
    [​IMG]

I don't usually like main character Gundams but for some reason Exia always struck me as pretty cool. The 7 Swords System isn't really the best weapons suite but I've always been drawn to the rather slim,sleek frame of Exia married to a big solid sword. I particularly like the non-Standard Gundam faceplate Exia sports. I mean, it was a fresh break from the SEED era where every other Mobile Suit design had wings or wing-like attachments.

3. Bartley-type Ride Armor/Cyclone (Robotech/Genesis Climber Mospeada)
    [​IMG]

I love Bike-formers but not many franchises can do it right. Genesis Climber Mospeada probably got the closest though some may argue that a Ride Armor does not constitute a "Robot". The Bartley is the female exclusive version of the Mospeada Ride Armor. It is also the source of one of my biggest heartbreaks when Beagle, the company that was putting out Masterpiece class versions of the Ride Armors, decided to kill the Mospeada line after displaying a very impressive prototype of the Houquet (or Rook if you like 'em Robotech) Ride Armor. Damn shame.

4. Soundwave (Transformers)
    [​IMG]

Soundwave not at number 1? Sacrilege I know but bear with me. Soundwave is one of those characters I always loved as a kid but I never ever got a decent toy of him. Even now as an adult, I can not bring myself to buy the G1 re-issues mainly because I want a better modern representation of him. I think Soundwave always had my attention mainly because of his darker colour palette and of course, that VOICE!

5. Dragonzord (Power Rangers or Zyuuranger)
    [​IMG]

WE NEED DRAGONZORD POWER.....NOW! Yeah, I loved the Green Ranger and your damn right I love the Dragonzord! It was probably what sparked my interest in Power Rangers proper and it still catches my eye whenever I see it. In fact, I've been carefully watching the Super Robot Chogokin line for a possible Dragonzord release. Long shot I know but one can hope.

6. Black Getter (Shin Getter Robo Armageddon)
    [​IMG]

This was a toss up between the regular Getter-1 and Black Getter but Black Getter edged it out with those spiked fists of his. Another Go Nagai-esque design (not sure if he designed this himself). One of the more brutal Robots on the list to be sure.

7. Optimus Prime/Convoy (Transformers)
    [​IMG]

Hey, I cried when he died in the old animation movie but his constant returns kind of dampened the feeling. Yes, I like Optimus Prime both as a character and design wise. The bright colors on him and the angular looks of his head and faceplate always drew me to the character. I guess from this list so far you can probably tell I tend to like my 'Bots with either faceplates or non-human features. Not much else to say except like I own 7 different versions of Prime. Probably not much compared to most collectors but 7 Primes is enough for me.

8. OO Qan[T] (Mobile Suit Gundam OO: Awakening of the Trailblazer)
    [​IMG]

I know, I know. 2 Gundams on the same list and both of them from the same series to boot. Qan[T] (pronounced "Quantum" for those not familiar") is essentially an amped up Exia with some spiffy new gimmicks and an awesome Shield attachment. I am glad that the producers of the OO Series did not decide to just slap a pair of wings on the Gundam and call it a day. WHat's more is that this Gundam isn't really a "Combat" type. It's apparently a Gundam created to foster understanding between all beings in the Universe. Oh and it can form a giant Gun/Sword when diplomacy fails. A lot of people tend to fart on the plot of the movie this design is from. Yes, I know, Aliens in Gundam...doesn't belong there bla bla bla...Science Fiction guys. At least they did it in a unique fashion...without someone singing.

9. Summoner/Thor (Battletech)
    [​IMG]

As a loyal janshi of House Liao, I would favored a more Capellan-based design such as the Yu Huang or the Lao Hu. But I like tearing **** up with Clan Autocannons more so suck on it stravag! Yes, the Summoner is probably one of the least recognizable Mechwarrior/Battletech since the Mad Cat/Timber Wolf gets all the love but playing Mechwarrior 2/3/4/Mercenaries, I could never tear myself from the cockpit of my Jump-capable Summoner as I delivered Death From Above (or at least tried to) on bigger opponents like Daishi or Atlas units. Good times.

10. Dark Horn (Zoids)
    [​IMG]

I was never really much of a model kit builder but Zoids always had a special place in my heart. My first kit was a Saber Fang which I screwed up, followed by a simpler RevRaptor. But the one I really remember building was the Dark Horn. An awesome design and it lumbered like a pro. I did try bigger kits like the Iron Kong but I think Zoids was always better at those medium class builds like the ligers. More customization options.

Hope to see more kinds of 10 faves on this thread soon! Evangelion, Zone of Enders! Super Robots! Real Robots! Droids! Whatever robot or robot-esque design catches your fancy, share it!

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds fun.

In no particular order, really:

TFPrime Megatron
    [​IMG]
    His design just reeks of power. No silly earth mode for Megatron.

TFPrime Insecticon
    [​IMG]
    Honestly, I really like the design and want more!

God Reideen
    [​IMG]
    One from my childhood, updated.

Deathscythe Hell Custom
    [​IMG]
    Scott McNeil for the win!

Warhammer 40K Banelord
    (this one was a custom posted at Dakka)
    [​IMG]
    Demon-driven titan of doom? Yes, please.

Transtech Blackarachnia
    [​IMG]
    Never to be. So sad.

Super Mecha-Godzilla
    [​IMG]
    Another from my childhood, updated.

Five Star Stories- pretty much any mecha, but this one's pretty wild)
    [​IMG]
    The designs for this series are over the top, but in a good way.

Sazabi
    [​IMG]
    Not the run of the mill Gundam. Always has been my favorite of the genre.

Dark of the Moon Shockwave
    [​IMG]
    So what if he had a weakness against parachutes. He was still one seriously bad-ass looking bot.

3. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

That's too hard. Movie Sideswipe, Mirage, Ironhide, Roadbuster, Jolt, Prime Arcee and Prime Cliffjumper are up there though.

4. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

1- great mazinger
    2- mazinkaiser
    3- combattler v
    4- voltes v
    5- gundam wing zero
    6- gundam epyon
    7- superion
    8- radien
    9- japanese fort maximus
    10- gundam x

5. badlander86

The Fire Star Stories design is pretty unique. And that Titan is crazy good. Some honorable mentions on my list:

Crisis Battlesuit (Warhammer 40,000)
    [​IMG]

I love the Tau units in Warhammer 40,000 Dark Crusade on the PC and usually got the Mont'ka route on the Tech tree unlocking the Crisis Battlesuits. Nice alien design.

Scopedog (VOTOMS)
    [​IMG]

An old school hard sci-fi design. I like the marriage of hard edges with rounded features on this design.

Popbot (ThreeA)
    [​IMG]

I recently got Popbot and Badbot to add to my overpriced toy collection. I like the uniqueness of the design. Not quite sleek, not quite clean. Love the wire guts feature.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I was obsessed with Raideen as a kid. Specifically, the giant Shogun Warrior toy and the little die-cast metal toy that transformed. I had friends who had both, but I never had either one and I don't think I ever quite got over it. Holy crap, I wanted those toys so bad.

[​IMG]

As for my own list, I'll have to come back to it.

7. badlander86

I think Reideen was issued a couple of times in the pricey Soul of Chogokin line. While I've never seen the show myself, I can always appreciate a robot with a bow.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. badlander86

Ha ha, well I suppose Chi counts.

I have never seen Phoenix Liger before. Which series is that from?

Notice most of your choices are different from mine in one key point: I kinda dislike Wing Attachments of any sort on a robot unless it is a Seeker or a Gerwalk veritech.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Just 5 for now:

My number one favorite of all-time would probably be Victory Gundam, from the great but ridiculously depressing 'Mobile Suit Victory Gundam' tv series:

[​IMG]

2. Kikaider. One of the greatest robot comics ever produced, one of the seminal tokusatsu tv shows, and a pretty great animated series as well.

[​IMG]

3. Den'an Zon from the movie, 'Gundam F-91'

[​IMG]

4. Zaku II. Possibly the most iconic robot design of the entire Gundam franchise, if not the entire Real Robot genre.

[​IMG]

5. Giant Robo(t)... I used to love this tv show as a kid.

[​IMG]

_________
    And a couple choices from my wife:

Grendizer again (or Goldrake, as she knew it), and Jeeg:
    [​IMG]

...both of which she grew up watching in Italy.

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    G1 toy Ironhide
    Beast Wars transmetal tarantulas
    BW Retrax/BWII Powerhug
    HFTD Brimstone
    ROTF Devastator
    ROTF Demolishor (wheelman)
    BM Deluxe Optimus Primal
    IDW G1 Thunderwing
    G1 Sky shadow
    Armada Thrust

12. badlander86

Just keeping the ball rolling with more robot designs to share. Interesting tidbits on a few as well:

Destroid Tomahawk (Macross)/Warhammer (Battletech)
    [​IMG]

Interesting sidestory about this Robot is the legal battle this and other designs have been caught up in between FASA and Harmony Gold. In the recent Mechwarrior Online trailers, one of the 'Mechs featured was the Warhammer and in the Battletech fiction which I am more familiar with, the Warhammer is one of those top-tier machines piloted by some of the best warriors in the Inner Sphere. Here's hoping Harmony Gold eases off the rights. I doubt they'll be doing much with them anyway.

BearGuy (I don't know where it came from)
    [​IMG]

I seriously thought this was some crazy cool custom but apparently I've seen shots of the boxed kit on sale in Gundam shops online. It's a hilariously cute design from one of Gundam's lesser known units (AcGuy)

Neith (Zone of Enders)
    [​IMG]

This is the one Orbital Frame I'm hoping Revoltech eventually gets around to making. I wish I could say I expect a ZOE in the works soon but I really doubt Kojima is interested at the moment.

13. badlander86

Your wife has impeccable taste if I do say so myself.

Sadly I'm not familiar with Jeeg, will need to look that up at some point.

14. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    In no particular order:

Metal Gear Rex

[​IMG]

The Cylons

[​IMG]

The Terminators

[​IMG]

God Ginrai

[​IMG]

The Iron Giant

[​IMG]

Mechagodzilla, specifically the Millennium version

[​IMG]

Legion from Mass Effect 2

[​IMG]

Prime Vehicon

[​IMG]

Prime Soundwave

[​IMG]

Overlord

[​IMG]

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    No particular order:

G1 Overlord
    G1 Sixshot
    MS-18E Kampfer
    MSN-04 Sazabi
    ROTF Bludgeon
    R2-D2
    Invid Shock Trooper
    Patlabor J9 Griffon
    Eva Unit 01 (not technically a robot, but what the hell)
    Ifurita (hey, she's a robot, too) :p 

16. badlander86

I've been a little on the fence with Prime Soundwave. There's something...Evangelion-esque about him and Starscream's design. Maybe its the Skinny. Might want to pick up the toy just to see how it works.

Good Call on Metal Gear Rex. Can't believe I left that one out.

17. badlander86

I might need to add the rule that if you are planning on adding a sexy fembot to your list, pictures are MANDATORY. Also you haven't mentioned which Ifurita, the OVA or the TV series version??

[​IMG]

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Mea culpa, my friend - I got uncharacteristically lazy. :p 

I'm a sucker for the dark hair and the cute personality (there's something about sweetness and innocence that gets me all fired up). The TV series girl gets my vote.

[​IMG]

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Evangelon - Unit 01: Test Type (Rebuild model shown)
    -This thing is less a robot and more a force of nature. Ghost or God in the machine in equal measure, especially here where its in the process of becoming a godlike extension of its pilot's will.

[​IMG]

Terminator - Cyberdyne Systems Model 1000 Advanced Prototype

A cunningly implimented villain who, under the careful direction of James Cameron and the hands of Stan Winston became an exemplar of sequel escalation done right.

[​IMG]

To​

[​IMG]

Optimus Prime. What more need be said?

[​IMG]

Johnny Five, proof that excellent special effects are better when paired with clever film making and faith in your product.

20. badlander86

Oh man, Johnny 5 from Short Circuit...completely slipped my mind.

That reminds me I haven't mined my Marvel/DC memory for some decent robot designs to post. Hopefully will add a few pictures sometime tonight.