Heavy/Scratch: 1/18th Scale Bumblebee Project (part 2) Now Finished!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jedi_Master_Ben, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to start a new thread so I can show more pictures of this project's progress. So the first thread will showcase the making of and this thread will showcase the painting and and soon to be finished figure. To see the first thread, go to this link:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/211021-1-18th-scale-bumblebee-project-5.html

Ok, to get everyone up to speed, I had run into some structural problems with the type of plastic I was using. It turns out it was softer type of plastic, kind of like the Star Wars and Joe figures are currently being made from. The legs were buckling under the weight of the top half. I could not get the first cast figure to stand more than a minute or two. After talking with my friends, I made the decission to recast the bot in a harder type of plastic and not to abbandon him. I had invested too much time and money not to see him completed. I will admit, I was in a slump of dissappointment at first, but with this new plastic, I had hope. I recast most of the parts in the harder plastic and also played arround with the color dies to try and match the yellow to the delux model. The first parts were a bit light in yellow, but the second set of parts I think I nailed it. (Note: I only had one trial kit on hand, so I did not have enough to redo the lighter shade of yellow plastic. I might have to paint them, we'll see.)

Once I had casted the parts, I started to assemble the figure. During the last stage of assemble, I notice that the left arm mount was the same as the right. I had accendently double casted the right side (this is the hinge part that holds the arm pin and the front wheel fender and). I had to recast the correct part in hydrospan and regrow it. Once I had the part grown, I molded it and casted in grey plastic. (Note: In addition to this part, I also remolded the right roof and window. Their mold was damaged due to over preasure and deformed the parts. I also put in the weapon that I filled with wax to make it water tight and stuck in the closed possition. More on that later.) Once I had the correct part made, I finished assembling the figure.

At this point, I used some fixit sculpt epoxie and filled in some air bubbles. And here his along with Sam (at least he will be as soon as I get him painted)

[​IMG]

Next will be to paint him. Also as I mentioned earlier, I had made a cast of the weapon that came with the delux model. I compared the size of it to the replica figure and notice that I did not need to grow it for it was currently closer to 1/18th scale than what it was sculpted for. I dremeled it and cut it up and I have a plan to glue a ball joint simular to the current hand so I can swap out the right hand with the gun by just unscrewing part of his arm. I will have pics soon as the epoxie drys.

That's it for now, Let me know what you think so far.

Update 26-OCT-08:

AT LAST, HE IS FINISHED!!!!

Almost a year later and now he is finished! Since the last time I posted, I had painted Bumblebee in gunmetal paint with some bronze highlights. I also casted up the last pieces finish him off. I went down to my local Hobby Lobby and picked up that Testor's decal kit and printed out a set of items that I could not paint by hand. I also found the Strokes logo and add a decal to Sam's shirt. I still want to take some more pics later this week when I can get some decent back drops behind him and Sam. Here are a couple of pics to tie you all over until then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you would think that I would be done and ready to move onto something else. Well, you are almost right. I am going to call this next bit "Phase 2" of this project which will include the battle mask head and a more movie like blaster attachment for his hand.

Update: 28-NOV-08

I have finished modding a second head cast to make the battle mask version. I also finished growing, casting and modding a the hand gun. The gun was modded to look like part of the arm. The hand clips to the side of the gun.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Update 27 AUG 09:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    nice, you mention things like pressure problems, are there any size constraints with what you can do with this hydrospan stuff? eg. could you cast unicron, blow him up, then cast the blown up one again, then blow that up too?

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that is so awesome. I'm surprised the detail came out so well

4. Jedi_Master_Ben

The the preasure problem came about making the molds. I found that leaving the mold in a constant preasure longer than 6 hours, risk the deformation of the mold like a deep sea diver coming out with the bends. Hydrospan handles well under preasure just like any other resin product. As for your other question about hydrospan, they say you can make mold of it and cast the larger size and grow that. Their website showed them growing something twice, it did not look like it lost too much detail. I guess it depends on how far do you want to keep molding and casting to achieve the size you want. Also keep in mind, the ratio of growth is 60% larger than the origanial size. There is no good way to regulate the growthing process. If you are looking at a precise size, you may have to look into 3D scannig and rapid prototyping measures, but I have to warn you, it is not cheap. Rapid prototyping is in the thousands of dollars, so hydrospan is the cheapest method to achieve oversizing of your parts. I hope this helps.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

6. Sideways

Sideways Banned

looks badass man. any plans to do other TFs in the future?

7. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Awesome.

8. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    glad to see that you've completed (almost) this project. i'm looking forward to seeing this painted. :) 

9. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

WOW!! A Unicron 120% larger than he is already!! :bay 

10. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Man, this is looking so sweet! Sounds like it's been a lot of hard work, I'm sure I'm not alone is saying I really appreciate seeing the hard work you've put into this! Can't wait to see it painted.

11. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Awesome, bute the Windows is broken?

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks good. Im curious though, are you still planning on selling these thru the other site that was GOING to sell them, or can we just go directly to you if we wanted one of these?

13. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    WOW!!! That's looking really really nice! Can't wait to see Bumblebee painted! I love the fact that he looks like Ultimate BumbleBee but has none of the bulk :) 

14. Jedi_Master_Ben

Thanks everyone how has replied so far. I appriciate the comments. I just started to paint the body and spotted some areas that still needed to be cleaned up, so this may take awhile.

Yeah, I agree. I saw the size of him and realize that he was too big (at 1/16th scale) for the Joes. Plus the design they used to over come the electronics just throws it off for me. This may be a bit smaller than 1/18th scale (car mode compared to a DUBcity model) but I think of him more to scale with the measurements based on the video game (which I played the heck out off, and still do). Also, in the other thread, I did see the Spanish thread that showed the oversized KO of both versions of Bumblebee and I am glad to see that they were both larger than the 1/18th scale that I was shooting for.

Ok, back to work for me. I will keep you all posted on the devolopments.

15. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any chance you could use this material to reproduce classic camaro bee in a larger form & make his xform more complicated/movie accurate?

16. primetime109

primetime109 special ops medic

looks very good man!

17. primetime109

primetime109 special ops medic

dude! you should compare it with ultimate BB!:) 

18. Jedi_Master_Ben

A couple things about that. One is that the scale between the two models are not the same so the parts would not be interchangable after growth. Plus there is no way to regulate the growing process to try and make then close. But if you are looking at growing the whole model by itself, then it would not matter about the scale difference. I personally did not care for the bot mode of the classic model. The process is not that difficult to do, it's just time comsuming and the cost of supplies.

The second thing is that once the parts have been molded, grown, molded again and finially cast, you could do anything you want at that point. In theory, once the parts are grown, they should fit back and the functions should still work (except for the automorph feature. You will have to find the larger springs to make it work). If you are looking to treat this like a model kit, then I would suggest using Smooth-Cast 305 (for 7 min cure time) or 310 (for 30 min cure time). The product comes out like styrene which is great to cut on with an exacto blade or a hand saw. At this point, it's just a matter of engineering the parts to make it look movie acurate and functional, but that's a task that I am not interested.

19. Jedi_Master_Ben

I would, but I don't own that figure. I did not care for the design of him. I am close to finish the paint job on him. I will take some more pics having him pose with other things in my collection. Stay tuned.

20. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    is he already transformable?