1/100 Toynami Valks. Anyone got them?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pravus Prime, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I like Macross, I really do. I love Classics Jetfire. However, I've never found a VF that I actually liked at a price I was willing to pay. However, that was years ago, and I'd kind of like a nice Valk for my collection.

The problem is that I don't want to spend a fortune (I don't care if it's quality, I'm not spending that much on a toy), I don't want something huge, and I don't want to swap parts to "transform" it; as I've heard some figures work by swapping legs and nosecones.

So, when I saw these, I thought I may have hit upon something. But then, I searched, and found a single review, which talked about how you had to switch parts to transform it, and that they broke out of the box. Is this accurate? Another website lists all the parts, but doesn't list the extra leg/nosecone parts. Did they address it with Series 2?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about these: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TOY10094&mode=retail&picture=out

If that's not the case, is there anything out there that fits my criteria, or am I just out of luck in this area?

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

They're decent. They feel like Robotmaster Valks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    CM - do the Valks have perfect transformation? As in do I have to remove any parts when I transfrom them from jet to robot.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

The only things that need to be removed or attached in transformation are the heat shield and the fists. No reattaching legs like the Yamato 1/60s. The wave one figures came with shoddy sockets for the display stand that broke really easily. Many fans contacted Toynami about that and it seems that they've been replacing them without a problem. Apparently Wave 2 seems to have the fixed socket. For around $20 they're pretty cool, although the molded skull on the heat shield on the wave 1 Valks looks really silly.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's cool. Can you get an acc. pack for them, with the boosters and stuff? Peace out.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

They were shown at SDCC but they aren't out yet.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    What about the Masterpiece Robotech VFAs? Do they have perfect transformation?

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

No, they use the old Bandai swing-bar transformation. The only perfect transformation Valkyries are Yamato's 1/48 that will cost you a kidney. For $20 Toynami 1/100 Valks are great, much better than 1/100 Banpresto valks. I would certainly buy Toynami's 1/100 Valks if I could, it doesn't matter that they have replaceable fists. I owned the Yamato 1/60 valk, and apart from posing and displaying them, there's isn't much you can do. You can at least fly 1/100 across your room. Besides I think the way they transform is not that important compared to looks in plane mode and robot mode.

9. evrdazed

evrdazed Well-Known Member

i have one of the wave 1 ones, and i love it. for $20, you can't possibly ask for more. he's extremely poseable, the plastic feels a bit cheaper then most transformers, but only slightly.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I believe he was asking about the Toynami Robotech Masterpiece collection VFA not VF-1. A VFA or Alpha fighter is the Robotech name for the Legioss from Mospeada and has nothing to do with Macross. I don't know if it's a perfect transformation though.

11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reply as I was thinking of getting these because of their size. However their head sculpt seems er, abit off but then again USD$20 seems reasonable.

12. svennex

svennex Member

I got the VF-1S recently. I've previously had Bandais reissues of the 1/55 and Yamato's 1/60 Valkyries.

Overall impression is quite good. It does feel cheap but that's mainly beckause of the lack of die-cast which makes it feel really light. The qc is better than on the 1/60 Yamato and the transformation gave me less of a headache while still getting mostly the same results. Some other stuff (like how you connect the gunpod in fighter-mode) are also more easier to work whit.

The only real problems is the joint system used to connect the biceps to the shoulders and the lower legs to the knees. This is designed like the peg and socket joints found on most Gundam modelkits but the fit just isnt tight enough. Beckause of this the limbs tend to fall off, especialy when you transform the toy to fighter-mode. On mine this was worse than usual as one of the pegs was cut shorter than the others.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks for posting that piece of information so at least I can know what to expect.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Well, sounds like they finally made a valk for me. Hopefully I won't be disapointed.

Found a set of Series One (Since I wanted a VF-1S, preferably in Roy's colors) for $33 for all three on eBay. So, we'll see! If these are good, I'm hoping there'll be a Strike Pack for them in the future...

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I was in my comic shop today and going through a toy magazine (not Toy Fair) and Toynami is going to release the Blue and Red Valks - the ones that Max and his wife (er, I'm not into Macross so I don't know her name) and some form of armour...which I think are fast packs...think because the store was closing and I was flipping thru the pages.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Bought this guy for $25. Just like G1 Jetfire except for the head. Should still be able to find him for cheap, maybe cheaper

[​IMG]

that's him on the left
    [​IMG]

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Just found the SDCC Pics online. Looks like they plan to make 4 FAST packs, each thruster can be equipped how you want, they come with the beam cannon and the regular micro missle launchers. 1 for each of the color schemes (Blue, Red, kind of gray), and 1 in DYRL colors. Since I'm a big fan of Do You Remember Love, that'll be what I pick up when they come out. However, I still haven't found a release date for the packs. Anyone know?

I figure at $11 each for the three, even if they aren't that great, I won't feel like I was robbed, plus once the packs come out, that may even improve my opinion of them. However, thanks to all who contributed.