'07 Movie Figures: Lack of Detail?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Witwicky Camaro, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Since I've bought my first real Transformers Action figure/statue (Bumblebee Unleashed), ---Soundwave was kinda from the secondhand store and he's a bit worse for wear. Near Death actually--- I've steadily noticed the lack of quality in the other action figures for the movie. Its basically just from an seen-it only point of view, I'm kinda broke at the moment, but the Action Figures they sell down at Wal-Mart are mostly super-deformed Autobots and Decepticons, in the Rescue-Heroes way. There are dozens of them, whereas there's not so much of the Practical AFs.

Rambling, must get to the point.

Okay, the Leader series Optimus Prime looks as though he got his legs hacked. He's so fireakin' short! Why isn't there a 'Optimus Prime Unleashed' or any other Autobot/Decepticon statue/figure in existence or with as much attention to detail like the ones for Bumblebee?

(Okay, maybe the Ultimate Bumblebee figure they $128+plus for is kinda stumpy, though I figure its because of the '08 Camaro model they used for him.)

Most of the Voyager series AFs lack serious likenesses to their CGI counterparts, with the exception of Barricade and Ironhide. Starscream, Ratchet, Jazz, Megatron, Scorponok, Blackout, Brawl, Frenzy (who just looks like a bunch of plastic sticks stuck on a gray eraser like middle. Very ugly) and Bonecursher (assuming he's got one and I just wasn't looking at Brawl/Devastator twice) lack serious articulation in robot forms, while their vehicle look the best. Even the Protoforms lack detail.

Is it just me seeing what's not there, or wanting more than they're willing to give?

Opinions?

2. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I get what you're saying, but as I bought them up I was more concerned by the lack of good paintjobs. leader Megatron, Jazz, and 77 BB were all ruined IMO by their horrible unfinished/basecoat kind of look. Jazz and BB I do like as figures otherwise too. Megs just sort of sucks though (he's an ok bot, but everything else about him is stinky).

In Jazz's case anyways, that's why I repainted him as Tracks, and some people like (EDIT:)  SPLIT LIP (sorry that's who did it) have done great metallic repaints of megs:

[​IMG]

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There are OP and Megs unleashed.

Prime isn't short, his legs are porportionate, his leg kibble and skinny thighs makes them look shorter.

I find all the figures have very good articulation in robot mode. they can pull off numerous poses and stances. Plus, they're too fun to play with!

Also, I have no idea where you got this lack of detail. Do you even have any movie TF's? Just look at Prime's armpit! It has more detail than most older figures. The facial details and panel linings and layers, I have yet to find a movie figure with sub-par detail.

P.S. Robot Heroes rock and so does Leader Megs. (mind you, his paint could be better)

4. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:

I take it, Paint Jobs (repaint and original alike) are the a major detail, they tend to fail on a lot?

5. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:

I qoute myself: "Its basically just from an seen-it only point of view, I'm kinda broke at the moment,". I.E., I've made up my assessment of what I've seen at the store when staring through the plastic shield and back of the box.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not usualy.

Leader Prime, CC BB, Arcee, Ironhide, SS, and pretty much every movie figure besides the ones he listed have really nice paint apps. (I understand they could be better, but then the figures would be too expensive)

Swindle is an exception, as he is just so plain. :( 

Okay, I had no idea what you meant by that. :lol  (I'm kinda slow today, too much, well, you know...)

But seriously, you can't appreciate these figures till you have them.

7. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Well I guess there were 2 issues regarding paint jobs:

1) quality control of the paint jobs, which has been really bad for the movie toys, best examples I can think are 08BB (lots of people recently talking about his QC problems) and Barricade, my Barricade has blue-purple stains all over his white doors.

2) the overall colour/shine/look of the paintjob. The specific ones I named are pretty bad for their 'dull' and unfinished look. I know pretty much everyone would agree on that with at least Jazz.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think one reason is, most movie figures came so close to the movie models, it's sad they couldn't have gone closer. No other series has set standards this high.

Just look at cybertron Prime. He's great, but he also has waaaaaay less paint them Movie Prime, but it's okay because his show model didn't have a lot of painted detail.

9. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Dude, I'm broke as hell and still have the receipt for Leader Prime. I dont want to take him back but its so hot right now in NYC and I dont have an AC. I'm tempted to return him just so I can get a bigger fan but I know buying him back will be tough with him being virtually gone from all stores around here.

I felt the same way you do about the movie figs, and for the most part still do... that is except for Leader Prime. This toy is all that and a fat bag of chippos. He's very detailed, articulated, and fun as hell to play with. He's currently the only TF I own (the other 15 I have are across the country) and I've had so much fun with him. He's the only one worth the hoopla in my book. Though I might pick up 08' Bumblebee if I can find him at retail. The rest of the movie figs I can do without.

10. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    And even then it can difficult...stupid fat Jazz.

11. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Having had the opportunity to fiddle with almost every mainline figure so far, I can safely say that the detail is all there (in general, ok?), it's the paint that kills them. Take Leader Megatron: he's (subjectively speaking) so ugly with that bland grey plastic and underdetailed face. Why couldn't they pull an Energon Galvatron on him? :-/

And because of this paint issue, I'm not getting any movie figs. It kills my interest singlehanded, despite there being some genuinely enjoyable pieces among them (Ratchet!). And no, I can't paint them myself; I'm worthless with a brush nowadays and amateur (at best) previously. Well obviously my opinion shouldn't kill anyone else's enjoyment of the line and that's what counts ultimately. (Still, to pay $760 for a custom painted Leader Brawl, among others, speaks volumes about others who share my own mentality).

12. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I agree with most of what you said, but what makes some of the movie toys fun for the hardcore collectors is paiting/modifying them. My favorite was the Ironhide Voyager turned into a Nemesis Prime. When I get the 08 Bumblebee I think I'll add some silver paint to his grill and other parts, and maybe detail the hood of the car.

13. Samana Rombuca

Well you make a good point too. I could probably take care of small details like that, too, but some of the things that kitbashers/painters create feels like it should have been like that from the beginning. Let's be honest, most of us cannot paint up a Leader Megatron or Leader Brawl like we've all seen on eBay and on the boards. And that's more my point.

Furthermore, I've been used to collecting Alts and Classics which don't really have a point of reference (as in, a movie or a show) and Cybertron was pretty show accurate. Coming from that angle, it shouldn't be hard to see how the movie toys are a bit underwhelming in the paint department, having all seen the CGI models and just extrapolating (again, Leader Megs, Dlx Jazz as an example).

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    All down to budget, though. Only so many paint applications they can apply before the toy becomes unprofitable, unfortunately.

From what I've read, I think they tend to put more than they need, then scale it back for production.

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I find the movie figures to have extraordinary detail! Some of the best figs ever in that line.

They may look bland because the paint apps aren't there, but I understand that they have to sell these things cheap. And besides, that's why we own paintbrushes. :) 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Leader prime's legs ARE short compared to the movie's CG model, which has freakishly long legs. the leader class figure's legs are perfectly proportionate, and look fine as long as you're not directly comparing it to the CG model.

17. Samana Rombuca

So the story goes, anyway. They are trying to maximize profit so every extra penny or five times the production number is less profit, but it's all theoretical anyway. I'm not going to argue that the extra paint apps SHOULD be there, I'm just saying that they could be there, and in the past, they have been there.

18. Irv Gotti

Irv Gotti I'm Rick James B%#ch!!

I'm going to agree with Split Lip, surprisingly, many of the Movie toys are very well detailed. Now granted, the paint jobs are a bit lacking. As far as the toy transformation engineering goes, you are getting a great amount of detail for the price. More advanced engineering to match the CGI would take the toys way out of the Toy realm and smack dab into the Collector's realm ( Masterpieces; GOD, I LOVE 'EM! :p ) and out of range of a lot of fans' wallets. Perhaps; in a few year's time, either Hasbro or Takara will attempt to create a Movie Masterpiece line. ( One can only dream :)  )

19. Samana Rombuca