Scratch Builds: 04. Various Methods to Create Venting on Panels

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Wikkid, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Random panel cross drilling:

Using a styrene box panel that's been cut down to roughly 1/8 depth I set up my template by aligning a strip of tape to both sides of the panel. This will dummy-proof my exact center to the project:

[​IMG]

Using the same size tape, I measure off one side and drill my first hole. By doing so, these holes with be in exact alignment as well as exact spacing. Once your first hole on one side is drilled, you can use the same tape to measure from that hole to the next and go as far as j00 like. In this one, I went with three holes and determined the length of the overall piece by measuring from the final hole then cut the panel off there:

[​IMG]

Here's the part in place using the earlier outer edge cutout and a ribbed backing:

[​IMG]

Creating [More] Venting:

Begin with a nice ol' straight piece of flat styrene:

[​IMG]

Determine how much angle you want on all these and cut off a singular piece:

[​IMG]

Use that first piece as a template for the rest:

[​IMG]

Make as many as you want; I'll just do six for this tutorial:

[​IMG]

Glue them into place and eyeball the positioning. Try to make them the same distance apart. [The] best thing to do is start on each outer edge, then place the next on the inner edge. Determining the center from there is easy:

[​IMG]

Now set up some secondary venting using a couple pieces of styrene square rods:

[​IMG]

The angles on these ones can either be the same or different from the others; that's up to you:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.