“We believe that this one has the same exoskeletal structure.” *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, I can’t remember the original line, but it was something like that.

I’ve been rolling this around in my head since the second time I saw the film and I keep coming back to something –

When the teaser trailer broke, waaaay back in 2006, we all rushed to eat up the pictures of the robot in the teaser. We speculated as to who it was, why they were on Mars, what they were doing there, etc. A common belief was that it was Bumblebee – which, I think, is because he was the only robot we knew was going to be in the film at that point – but nobody had agreed on it.

Now we find out that the US government/Sector Seven thought it was Blackout. Nooowwww…Blackout had a bigass rotor thingamajinger towering over his head while he was on Earth. The robot in the “Mars rover” pictures was, for the most part, “humanoid” in design – he didn’t have a huge-ass lump above his head.

Soooo…I wonder – are the Sector Seven guys just really good at deciphering the similarities in Decepticon exoskeletal design? Was it a plot convenience thing, allowing the writers to tie in that fun bit of plot point from the teaser trailer footage and put it into the full film? (Highly Likely) Or is Blackout just so dashingly handsome that nobody would mistake him as someone else? (Much more likely, Blackout is such an uber hottie! XD XO LOLOL)

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think they meant they were both robots.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I go with that answer. It's funny that the two pictures in that scene look similar but neither looks like Blackout to me...at least that I recall.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That's how I interpreted it too. Remember that at that point (and indeed until Sam set them right) Sector 7 didn't know that there were 2 factions of Cybertronians at all.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, the fact that the Blackout picture from the Army base sorta looked like it was shot in broad daylight was another "Whaaaaa?" thing for me.

But hey! It's an action movie. They can get away with that. I just find that kinda funny. :lol 

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I think Blackout only has that "lump" and the rotors over his head since he turns into a helicopter and the rotors had to go somewhere. In a Cybertronian mode, he might not have had to have that kibble up there

7. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

Somewhat related/useless knowledge/observation:
    The bot attacking the rover in the teaser looks a LOT like G1 Megs with the fusion cannon on the right arm. In the movie, the same footage is shown but WITHOUT the fusion cannon.

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Nope, hes seen in the prequel comics, he still has the lump, but no rotors.

9. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still think that scene/ trailer would have been 10 times better if after the rover started to move, another rover rolled up to it, paused for a while then transformed and destroyed the real rover.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Bullseye!!!

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    It looks like either, Perceptor, Astrotrain or Soundwave

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I just took it to mean that it was the same type of "creature" -not exactly the same character.

As for the picture of Blackout, I just think they jacked up the contrast :thumb .

13. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll accept that.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I think the original teaser trailer *intended* it to be Bumblebee, because that's who it looks like. And in the movie they said they were of a similar design, but not the same exact one. But the prequel comic pretty much 'confirms' it to be pre-earth Blackout.

15. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

Don’t forget that the Decpticons hadn’t been on earth yet so I am presuming that they also had protofroms. Blackout took the form of the shot down helicopter which I presume was caused by him.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:

You see they're protoforms in the comic prequel.
    They all look awesome!

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    It doesnt make sense that it was suppose to be Bumble Bee; Why would Bumble Bee destroy it? He might jam it, but not destroy it

18. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too. (And also that the silhouette reminded me of G1 Megatron!)

As for "We believe they have the same type of exoskeletal structure," he's saying We think the thing on Mars, and the thing that attacked the base in Qatar (and the thing we have frozen in the basement) are all related, they're from the same place, have the same origins, etc. He's not suggesting the thing on Mars and the thing that attacked the base are the exact same individual.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I assumed who ever the bot on Mars was is in protoform mode.

An argument for why the government might think the Mars bot is Blackout is up t then the only TF the knew about was Megatron. They have seen one on Mars some years ago and now one is on earth killing peeps.

20. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I was to presume that government people can't identify between diverse robot forms because 1. Decepticons think most humans look alike, vice versa. 2. they're lot with TFW2005 >:/

The robot on Mars I thought could have been an Autobot trying to protect himself (or the humans) from discovering them, though not in a very good way. I don't it clarified whether the rover was destroyed, we saw the hand reach for it and static, maybe it was Jazz putting magnetic interference into the poor machine

But I do think it looked a lot like G1 Megs. One can only speculate....