‎2010 botcon Generation 2 Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SteadyMobin, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SteadyMobin

SteadyMobin BreakBread

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Unless they're limiting purchases to 1 per person, they only have 1 in stock. Not really news.

3. SteadyMobin

SteadyMobin BreakBread

Even if there is only one in stock that is still news, I haven't seen this figure
    available on any website (if im correct) and at only $300. I have heard people dumping
    $700 on this figure, here is your one chance to get him cheaper then norm.

4. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    That's... Not good. FunPub specifically requests that these things not be sold in public if the person feels the need to sell them. It could harm the chances of us getting a customs class in the future, much less one with unique mold colors like Sideswipe.

Also - I'm pretty sure that this still doesn't count as news. Per the "do not post as news unless it's the first time we've seen it for sale" clause, we've seen this for sale before. Just not outside of the official channel.

I'm guessing this will be locked soon.

5. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if they are selling kit or figure. It seems to be just the kit, but the figure is pictured at the top. Hmmm.... Can't tell if that is the complete kit or not.

6. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    It's not a completed kit. I almost considered buying it having 2 myself already, but it's sold now. :D 

Randy

7. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Not really news.

I wish FunPub would sell "Home customization class kits" at Botcon. But then no one would actually sign up for the classes.

8. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

This sold immediately after it was listed. I must have just missed it. I was up early and went on facebook early to see how my friend fared in his Muay Thai fight. When I saw this it just posted, I could remember my auto-generated password, had to start up my laptop, and by the time I went to check out it was gone. I cried..... for realz. Powered Convoy you wanna sell or trade one of your 2? I got lots of stuff. :thumbs2:  :D 

9. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can someone tell me the history of this toy? why it's rare and why it's a DYI/pieces?

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    It was the figure for this years bot con customization class and less 100? were made , I am not real clear on the exact production number. Its still on the sprues as it was meant to be assembled and customized in that class and most were which make unassembled ones that much rarer and more sought after and therefore valuable.

11. BraveMax

News Credits:
    The customizing class toys aren't usually that sought after except by a niche group, though, since they're just customized versions of an existing figure that the class does at Botcon. Sideswipe is special because he's the first time (and maybe the only time, considering that they apparently didn't know this was going to happen this year) that the customizing class toy has ever been molded in exclusive colors. That makes him the only customizing class figure that people can't just make by themselves after the con if they want.

Well - I suppose you COULD make him after the con, but you wouldn't have clear green windows, etc...

And there might be more than 100 of this figure since it's molded in unique colors... FunPub also handed them out to their convention volunteers as their "thank you" present this year. So there are probably significantly more of them than usual sitting around in their "unassembled" state as some of the volunteers might not have the inclination to assemble the toy and paint it.

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    True but i was giving him the history of this particular figure.

13. BraveMax

News Credits:
    Yeah... And the bit about Sideswipe being molded in unique colors really is the most important differentiator between Sideswipe and the other customizing class toys - the reason why the toy is so valuable.

The unassembled kits for the other customizing class figures really wouldn't be worth that much. At least, they wouldn't be worth much more than the toy they're based off of is worth. I think that might mean that the most expensive one to replicate yourself would be Shattered Glass Nightbeat or Thunderclash, both of which were based off exclusive toys.

The others - Overkill, Inferno, Rumble, etc... - are all based off essentially mass-market toys, with the exception of Rumble's "Coby Ramble" head. It wouldn't be very expensive to buy the toy they're based off of and paint it into the customizing class exclusive yourself. Then no one would really be able to tell the difference between yours and a cust-class exclusive.

Some people might pay more for the ability to build the toy from the sprue, but probably not many people.

14. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just to put it out there, the other kits still fetch very large numbers when they sell. Even though the kit is molded in the standard production colors, the big aftermarket niche is nor for people who actually want to build the figure, but for people who value something as rare as a complete, unassembled parts kit for a figure. Unpainted samples and other such things get leaked, but these kits are the only way that complete, unbuilt toys have ever made it out of the factory.

15. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Its also worth noting many people were disappointed when G2 sideswipe wasn't one of the regular botcon toys so that adds demand as well as it being a well liked mold.

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Thanks but no thanks. One is my girlfriend's actually.

Randy

17. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So for the one that was for sale on igear, was that the entire toy, just not assembled? Or were there parts/sprues missing? Maybe its just that its not really a closeup picture, but it doesn't look like there were enough parts on the sprues there to make an entire figure.

If that listing had all the pieces, it looks like a steal price-wise.

18. BraveMax

News Credits:
    I've never even seen one for sale. Where, exactly, are you getting your information?

19. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks for the info folks.

20. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i have been looking in vain for the custom class overkill version...seems no one is selling theirs... :(