Generations Skrapnel and Reflector

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Acesan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Acesan

Acesan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thought I’d review Tailgate’s wave mate while I’m here seeing as how these guys haven’t really showed up anywhere else except the Philippines?

Anyway, Transformers Generations “Skrapnel and Reflector”. I prefer Shrapnel, who the hell thought of changing his name?!

[​IMG]

What it says on the back of the box: REFLECTOR and SKRAPNEL are always on the lookout. Reflector uses his lens to steal Autobot secrets from long range. The insecticon Skrapnel is also on the lookout… searching for the next victim of his supercharged electric current blasts.

[​IMG]

Anyway here they are. Don’t mind what looks like Skrapnel’s black face. He actually has silver paint there, but it doesn’t really come out in my pics.

[​IMG]

Back view Kibble galore.

[​IMG]

I actually kind of like Reflector though.

[​IMG]

Reflector in “gun” mode.

[​IMG]

Pew Pew on G1 version of “Shrapnel” who I think is still superior to this new version. Can’t beat die cast and chrome! I’ll take those over the articulation in this case.

[​IMG]

Camera mode. Skrapnel stealing the Autobot’s “Secrets.”

[​IMG]

Any Secrets here? ;) 

[​IMG]

Insect Mode. I actually don’t know what kind of insect it is – some sort of horned beetle? The transformation is actually a bit involved. I’m ashamed to say I had to look at the instructions to make sure I was doing it right.

[​IMG]

Not too bad. I felt like I was stressing the plastic insect legs when folding them however.

[​IMG]

Compared to G1. The only thing I like better is the legs compared to the wheels.

[​IMG]

Beetle Fight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm. I think I’ll leave it here… anyway, not too great an update on the G1 I think. Worth getting if you like the Reflector, but I’d say Skrapnel himself is pretty average.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'm surprised that you say its average, because I think in your picks he looks brilliant.

That insect mode is awesome. Basically everything you'd want from a Shrapnel figure. I've always felt Shrapnel had the weakest Insect mode of the Insecticons. Its basically a black rectangle with Stag attachments to the front, it really only has a passing resemblance to an insect.

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would agree...pretty average set.

gotta admit they sure did make it look like the G1 pretty well. Reflector looks great for what it is..

Ill buy every single one of these..This lackluster looking offering will be no exception, and Ill prolly love it in hand.

Thanks!

4. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bug mode IS pretty solid. I think this is one of those that you need in hand..

MAN they sure did nail the G1 feel on this.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    My favorite of the 2 new molds. Reflector looks cool too.

6. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know you might see it as average but I still think it looks pretty damn good. I already have the Fansproject Insecticons but I definitely would not be against picking up this version. For being a legends class figure it does have some good articulation, especially the head. Hopefully Hasbro will do the rest of the Insecticons because those needed updates for a long time now. Also I'm still calling him Shrapnel because the new name does seems rather stupid.

7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can't wait to eventually get one of these. It looks fantastic to me, despite the lopsided review. I just hope retail distribution isn't killed by army-builders.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review, and the fun pictures! :) 

Not really interested in this figure, but your pics make it tempting. I'm sure there are people more invested in the Insecticons than I am, looks like they're going to get their money's worth. :) 

Reflector is all kinds of awesome.

9. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    While I'd love them to do all three Insections, I'm glad that if we only get one, its Shrapnel. He was always my favourite of the Insecticons. I always thought it was weird that FOC only gave us Kickback when Shrapnel and Bombshell were far more memorable. (Even if FOC gave Kickback Shrapnel's quirks for whatever reason)

10. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    It's pretty cool that Reflector turns into Shrapnel's original grenade launcher weapon.

[​IMG]

His robot mode is a dead ringer for Viewfinder's package art, too.

[​IMG]

I'll end up with one of these guys since Kapow's only selling Tailgate in a two-pack with them, but I'm undecided as to whether I'll keep them yet...

Attached Files:

11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    looks fantastic. might pick this up in hopes of bombshell getting updated in the same scale.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that's even more awesome. :) 

13. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

News Credits:
    I think this is the set I'm looking the most forward to in this specific wave. Both of Skrapnel's modes look really good to me.

Reflector is cool, too. Having his weapon mode homage Shrapnel's original is a really nice touch, and I know I'll have to have my Thundercracker wield him in camera mode a couple of times in camera mode, too.

I know it's too much to hope that Hasbro will do the other two someday in the same scale, but, I wouldn't see that as a deterrent to picking up a set once they show up.

14. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    That's not pretty cool, that's awesome!

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good, as was expected. The Decepticons need more Generations toys that aren't seekers.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Narrowly losing out to Whirl as "most straight-G1 update of a character."

Except for all the ways you can.

Chipping. Oh, the chipping.

17. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK...awesomeness with this set just kicked up a few notches..I said how they NAILED the G1 look..They even made reflector turn into his OG gun?!?!?

That's just awesome.

18. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree..I know there is a certain "feeling" of diecast with TFs now..but CERTAIN parts now adays..I think don't really need it, adding costs no discriminate to the goal for any reason BUT for die cast.

Yea..the more I look at this one it IS cool.

For ONCE though, I would like to see a modern Insecticon where ALL the legs hid, and you cant really tell its an insecticon..Not just for this one..this is an homage to us..but I would like to see an fresh take on them,mand not the hardshells either.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Articulation, better detailing, more realistic alt mode > chrome and diecast
    The original might not have all that kibble, but that's because it didn't have any bug legs at all! Seriously, what kind of bug doesn't have bug legs?

I can't help but think those pins are the beetle mode's eyes, though I think the purple whatsits on the sides are supposed to be them, given that's where real stag beetle eyes are.

Reflector is pretty neat, especially since he retains his camera mode while also gaining Shrapnel's gun mode (which is ridiculous and awesome!).

Hope we get more Insecticons at this scale. We already got Chop Shop, (Prime) Hardshell, Waspinator/Venin, and now Shrapnel, I'd LOVE a whole swarm of them even if it's mostly repaints. 'Course I'd also love to see the other Insecticons and some BW bugs get updates too.

20. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    i'm so loving this set...Shrapnel is looking perfect...Reflector even turns into his G1 rifle...does make me wonder theoretically what targetmaster would Bombshell and Kickback come with since Reflector isn't a generic weapon...would've made sense to have redecoes of Reflector as the other components potentially be included with others (if there happening ofcourse)...