Cybertron/Universe Superion

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Prowlus, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Prowlus

Prowlus resident goldfish

Superion is a repaint of the micromaster team known as Destron Sixwing . Ironically , the original Sixwing was a Cybertron/Autobot to start off with and now the mould will finish as its first faction .
    The individual figures themselves are each repainted as a homage to their corresponding character with the exception of "Silverbolt"(who should have been skydive) and Rotor(Possibly Protectobot Blades homage here) "Silverbolt" is actually the only one who sort of resembles his past incarnation of "Falcon" (operation combination) in terms of color scheme which is only offset by the white on his fuselage .
    Speaking of white , this guy better stay clear from the sun . When combinned he has a very uniformed color scheme of gold, red black and alot of white ! Even his fists which were black in the original and destron releases are now painted white to match the color of the space shuttle and SSTs they are connected too . The homage is very well done . very much on par with Devastator and not irrevalent like Defensor . I can even say he beats both his predecessors in coloration hands down and he comes from Hasbro . A very well done piece and highly recommended

You can find some comparison images here

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2529

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2533

2. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Thoughts (also at my review site linked below):

Phil's Cybertron/Universe Micromaster Superion Review
    Ah more Micromaster combiner goodness. It may only be repaints but more additions to the army are good. In this case it's the Six Wing combiner recoloured as the G1 combiner Superion. This is the third colourscheme for this toy: The original Japanese version in 1992, The Japanese Decepticon reissue and repaint of it which I reviewed at HERE and this new one.

But first I need to get some related items off my chest:

1) Autobots are cars and Decepticons are planes, right ? If so why did the Autobots get the jet combiner and the Decepticons the car combiner ? surely the other way round would make more sense ?? This slight compounds the following point, namely

2) Why did the Decepticons never get any small size jets ? The Autobots had the minibots from the word go, followed bvy the Throttlebots and others. Do yopu know when the first range of small Decepticon jets was ? 1992 and the Predators, the smaller jets in 1993 (were hey called Air Raiders ?), the Cyberjets and th flip changers.

I've said it. I feel better now.

We know the form by now - 1 toy with a piece of the combined bod. I've also included the Six Wing name:

Air Raid (Missile Run): Black Jet (forms chest) with Bronze Upper Legs
    Fireflight (Flanker): Red Jet (forms right leg) with White Right Foot
    Sky Dive (Super Sonic): White Concorde (forms left arm) with White Left Fist and Mainly Black Head
    Silverbolt (Falcon): White Jet (forms left leg) with White Left Foot
    Stormjet (Raker): Space Shuttle (forms right arm) with White Right Fist and Bronze Gun
    Ro-Tor (Chain Gun): Red Helicopter (forms back) with White Body

Some effort has been made here to make them match the colours and shapes with the original names, shapes and colours. Air Raid and Fireflight are spot on with the names and the colours with minor liberties being taken with the jet forms. Colouring and naming the opposite way round would have given a perfect match and made Superion a red chest but may have had some impact in colouring the other pieces. This will more than suffice. Sky Dive and Silverbolt should be swapped round namewise - I sense a cock up in the packaging department. Again. See Flywheels and Battletrap - the names perfectly match the other jet's shape which are both coloured right. I don't know what happened to the Slingshot name, but Stormjet while (obviously) jet related doesn't really match the shuttle so well. However corrupting Slingshot to Spaceshot gives us a perfect match so either of these name should be attached to this toy. Ro-Tor is just plain wrong, previously used on the RID Bruticus repaint Ruination. A better choice would be Quickstrike - in red the helicopter nearly matches last year's Energon Ultra repaint, or alternately to use a G1 combiner hommage: Blades.

The body pieces combined into a jet look very striking with a stark white rear and body, and a gold forward and gun section. Top marks.

The combined form just shouts Superion - perfect mix of colours. I was going to complain about the head, thinking it was white but having dug out a G1 1986 leaflet I happened to have here in London I see it *was* black on the original toy.

Overall: Worth the £21 I paid to get it delivered from the Entertainer, a steal at the £12 you can get it in TRU from on their 3-2 offer. Superbv repaint, buy it and then get hold of a Japanese SixWing repaint for it to fight against.

Repaints: Hmmm, 3rd version already but how about one using the colours of the original 6 G1 Decepticon Jets ? Or a blue G2 Superion Version ?

3. Prowlus

Prowlus resident goldfish

£21? I could buy 2 sets for that amount in TRU
    Oh and that getting a Japanese sixwing to fight against? Howabout the whole set? ;) 

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2533

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) Based on the cartoons and commercials (methinks) The Aerialbots and Stunticons were both made as a counter to the other factions' superiority in the air or on the ground, respectively. Stunticons also had the occasional job of ruining the Autobots' rep ("Cars doing bad things!? The Autobots must have turned EVIL!!")

2) Before the nineties, there were Micromaster Decepticon jets, small Targetmaster Needlenose, Triggercon Windsewwper, and probably a few other things. Not exactly a range or small jets, but it's something.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to MM Superion in the US ... eventually.

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I ordered them TRU hadn't had them in. My local one still hasn't.

And I think 2 sets on the 3-2 is 23.92 (assuming £2.99 each)

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    The first point was spelled out in the cartoon. I don't remember the exact episodes but the above reasoning from Frealstorm is correct.

I'm pretty sure the Aerialbots were in Key to Vector Sigma. The Stunticons were just before that, IIRC.

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It still doesn't make sense toywise. You introduce a new concept - combining - and it would make sense for the first toys on either side (ignoring Devastator the year before) to appeal to the percieved strengths of the sides ie autobot cars and decepticon jets.