HBS THS Galaxy Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by danatureboy, May 10, 2005.

1. danatureboy

danatureboy Well-Known Member

In the package:
    At first glance this item looks very detailed. It looks like one of those painted warhammer figurine miniatures, probably because of its small size.

Specs:
    Truck Model
    Length 5" 9/16
    Cab width 1" 1/16
    Cab height 1" 3/8

Regular Convoy
    Height 4" 1/16
    Width (shoulder to shoulder) 3" 1/2
    Depth 15/16"
    chest width 1" 1/8

Regular Convoy head
    Width 3/8"
    Height 7/16"
    Depth 4/16"

Matrix
    Width 9/16"
    Height 1/4"
    Depth 1/8"

Super Convoy
    Height 4" 11/16
    Width (wing tip to wing tip) 7" 3/4
    Depth like 2"

Packaging:

Box itself:
    This is a book type box. The front flap has a picture of prime. On the inside of the initial flap are pictures of prime in his other modes. The window on the box are very clear allowing full view of prime. The box has flaps on top and bottom, and is made of a very high quality shiny glossy carboard, so taking the tape off will not damage the box at all. Opening a flap without damage takes a bit of careful consideration, because the flaps do have the slits at the end that prevent the flap from sliding out without hitting the side or "theft deterrent" flaps.

Insert:
    The item is sandwich to a pair of clear plastic trays that are molded to fit prime and his accs. This sits in a carboard tray that is taped together at the sides via flaps. The tray is carboard colour on the inside and black glossy, like the box, on the inside. There is a giant centred Autobot insignia in the middle of the tray, against a wallpaper background of Autobot and Decepticon insignias in the background. The Decepticon insignias are smaller than the autobot insignias.

Baggie Contents:
    -8.5" x 6" 10 page tranformation instruction booklet
    -A playing card sized spec sheet
    -A business card size piece of white paper with japanese writing on it.
    -A 4" x 3" white paper, with japanese writing on it, some boxes that look like they might be important, a website address, the phrases 'present 1' and 'present 2' on a couple of boxes with japanese writing on them. Anoher box with what looks to be a model number or production number, or password of somesort.

The item itself:

Metal Content:
    -Regular Prime's Lower legs
    -The shoulders
    -Really gives item heft

Wheels
    -Rubber

Changeable hands
    -Made of rubber and are exchanged via a ball and socket type set up. Very easily changed.
    - 4 pairs, fist, pointing, open and holding weapon
    -fist should be used for transformation into truck

Changeable head
    -Pull it off, it won't break. Not as easy to change as the hands, but still easy. Regular prime head must be used for transformation to truck.

Transformation
    -As precaution, transform slowly the first time so that nothing breaks, or stresses.
    -No hard parts to transform. Everything moves very nicely. Suprisingly fast transformation to any , all modes.

Manufacturer defects
    -On mine, the left arm for prime does not lock into place with pulling the shoulders forward.
    -The big silver guns have push button spring action, but sometimes the left gun does not come all the way out
    -The big guns, cannot come forward in flying truck mode, now I don't know if these is a manufacturer defect, or if its a design flaw, but there is clearly (you can see that it is supposed to lock if you look at the joint, but somehow, they are mismatched).

Design Flaw
    -This project was an astounding undertaking, never before have I seen attention to detail to a transformer as I have seen in this one (this includes masterpiece prime).
    HOWEVER! the one inexcusable flaw that takara should be ashamed of is the suspension on the rear wheels (the ones on the leg). Now, think about this, the prototype, probably did not have diecast in the legs when this idea was brought forth. What possible problem do you see with this?

H M

2. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for the review. I guessing the weight of the diecast mucks the suspension up. I was planning on putting up my thoughts on this figure once I get mine in the mail from HLJ. Its been a little over a week since it shipped. So the chest section isn't metal? One question, does it look like the rubber hands and head will break easily if pulled with excessive force. I have the SFC Prime and Megatron and some of the hand pieces tabs have torn apart when trying to switch them out.

3. danatureboy

danatureboy Well-Known Member

The hands definitely not. The head, it is possible, I had to tug a little, so maybe, probably not though. This isn't in the same league as the SFC series.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There was a thread earlier about fixing the guns so they could come all the way forward. It's apparently not that hard to do.

5. StarAngel

StarAngel Long live the Decepticons

Hybrid THS Galaxy Convoy

My husband and I just got Hybrid Galaxy Convoy yesterday. Since it was already agreed upon that this toy is to remain MIB due to the ultra cool packaging and so forth I cannot take him out and give you play ability on him. But I will give you a lot of info about him as possible.

First off you can't help but notice the ultra cool packaging. The CGI picture of Galaxy Convoy on the cover, the photos showing you what he can do are fantastic. I learned some info about him from there like the removable Matrix inside his chest.
    I was a bit surprised at his size. I thought he'll be as big as the GF Galaxy Convoy. Nope. He is about the size of a Mega PVC. But he can transform just like his big counterpart. He has six pairs of hands, two different heads, two keys and all parts to make him into super Convoy.
    It looks like he has metal in him. Without opening I cannot be for sure.
    We got him for $35 (or so) plus shipping from HLJ.com.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
  7. StarAngel

oh . . . someone else already did a review but in more detail about the figure than what I could have done.
    Very detailed.
    :cry 

8. Demaar

Demaar Banned

I'm really wondering whether I should bother getting him. How much better is his articulation over the full-size Galaxy Convoy?

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    He has about 50 points of articulation. I'm not sure about the big one, though....

10. StarAngel

Wow someone put my review in with his. :eek:  When I did it I didn't know someone else did a review. I just got the toy and did what I could on it.

11. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I finally opened mine up and: Wow. Cool toy. Very, very small...very jewel like.

Simple but effective transformation.. The misassembly problems are annoying but fixable.

Mostly, I am overwhelmed by the feeling that this is strictly a display piece.

Two thumbs up. :) 

12. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review. Decided to pick this dude up.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Is there a guide on how to fix this?

Anyway I just picked this little guy up the other day and I must say he is impressive. I still contend the price tag is a little to high but still if you have the cash this is one neat figure. Maybe could have made him a bit bigger but overall still very cool. He is very poseable with good articulation, love the fact as well he comes with several different snap on hands for both hands so you can do a whole bunch of different things with him. His super mode is a bit floppy but still nice just wish you could fold his guns to go up and around behind his back.

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

My first import and very very cool. I got 2 of them one for MISB and one to play around with.

15. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got mine in yesterday, he's a very nice figure to get. Great articulation and I love the packaging.