How Could Roadbots Be Better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, in light of this thread, I journeyed over to Happy Well's website just to see what I could find. Although I didn't find any more information regarding the proposed 1:24 scale Roadbots, I decided to see how far a direct contact would get me.

Surprising, I've had a few email exchanges regarding the 1:24 Roadbots specifically (for some strange reason/sarcasm). I mentioned that I am "a fan of transformable robots" and active here (e.g. "a Transformers website"). By doing so I received this response:

The previous "quote" is actually pieced together from 2 e-mails. I added emphasis to generate discussion here.

If you guys would like to generate the discussion and have me compile the suggestions to email back, I can do that. If you wish to contact Happy Well directly for your suggestions, I don't see anything hindering that either. Anything you guys can add will be helpful for me, as I don't own any of the Roadbots (since up until now, there was never a 1:24 scale made). Hopefully, this can be a good thing! :) 

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Wow! This is cool...

Well, off the top of my head, my concerns are...

-focus on 1:35 and 1:24 (established size types already popular with TF fans)
    (of course, this one already seems to be covered... damn, they're fast! :)  )

-less parts-forming, more integrated transformations

-electronic gimmicks not as important as good articulation and detailing

-case assortments!!

This last one I feel is important, as many retailers that might normally carry Roadbots are reluctant to take a chance when they can only buy large crates containing one particular model. This hurts distribution, which is probably one of the big problems for Roadbots... we can't buy them if we can't find them for sale anywhere!

Of course, I've gotten the impression that Happywell is very slow to fill orders and ship out their product, so that probably doesn't help either. :( 

zmog

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Distribution. if i could hold a roadbot in hand at a brick and mortar, and just see for myself instead of staring at a BBTS image, i might be more inclined to at least impulse buy them.
    (the motorcycles i saw look...well, hideous. but that Jag looks sweet.)

personally, i also think they should take advantage of the vacuum created by the alts/BT's disappearance and do as many molds/vehicles as they can.
    the H2, for example is a good touch.
    makes me wonder why they didn't do prime as an H2 instead of a pick up truck....

my one crazy pipe dream would be either:
    1. teams of roadbots or gangs. like a group of 3 or 4 alts from a certain decade or style. Can you see 70s muscle cars roadbots? Or like a ferrari testarossa mold with the bot having a 2 tone pastel thing like Sonny Crockett going on as an 80s thing?

2. tribute 'bots. funky or iconic cars as roadbots. Am still waiting for a caddy hearse....

but technically speaking, all i want is easy transformations, i don't mind kibble as long as it isn't like those RiD brothers cars, and they can keep the prices reasonable.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This are realy nice suggestions.

The distribution is the main problem, because the Western Europe, Northern America and Asia are the greatest markets. The distribution probably isn't a problem in Asia, but people in NA and WE certainly have a problem with findings these puppies. And yes, 1:32 and 1:24 should be the only scales from now on.

I can live with partsforming, just remember Blurr, Octane and some other transformers.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Seconded

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I love the 1/32 scale, since it fits well with most deluxe sized TF cars. But, the parts forming, and the wonky articulation are deal breakers, for me.

7. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Articulation. The parts forming ain't a big issue for me, it makes some things cooler. But the articulation needs to increase. I love how the 1/32 scale ones come armed to the teeth.

8. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    they need guns and not the sole melee light up combat weapon/engine that 99.9% of them have already...

better looking heads and alt type hands

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Not having to remove half of the vehicle and combine it into a wonky looking weapon (or just not put it back on). Integration of parts into robot mode and cutting down of parts removal would be awesome.

10. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    * less parts formers
    * more articulation
    * less gimmicks

Otherwise, I think they are great. AAAAAND BBTS just put up a preorder for the 1:12 Ford GT roadbot I have been wanting....

11. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    I really like the GT and the XJ220.
    I hope a Ferrari lands in the mix..

12. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

Question: How Could Roadbots Be Better?

Answer: They shouldn't be made period.

13. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I agree with the suggestions here (except for the one that they shouldn't be made).

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Summed it up pretty much right there.

I'd like to add that kicking up the quality of plastic a notch would help too.

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    To re-emphasise what has been said:
    Less parts forming
    Fewer gimmicks
    Ability to be found at retail somewhere.

I'd pre-order the Jag from BBTS, but I'm afraid it will be like any other Road Bot and get pushed back.

16. SMOG

No kidding... I have to wonder how many of us are in the same boat. I e-mailed BBTS about their seemingly UNENDING Roadbots preorders (how can they advertise NEW Roadbots when the preorders from 6 months ago still haven't arrived??), and got this answer from their customer support...

I understand their position, but it's not very encouraging. It really comes back to Happywell, and their sketchy distribution. :( 

zmog

17. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I can echo just about everyones statement here....

I would agree with:

Better articulation....i.e. articulated hands (Alt style at the least)
    Less gimmicks....don't need a light up sword for every one of them..its cool, but not a must have.
    Less "partsforming".
    Continue with the obscure models....venture into car lines that the Alt line did not.

18. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I was pretty impressed with the plastic quality on the 1/32 GT. It seemed to be made of pretty dense plastic.

19. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the summary for this whole thread is this:

"make them more like TF BINALTECH!"

-1/24 scale and 1/32 scale
    -rubber tyres
    -die cast parts
    -missile launchers
    -ball joint arms and legs
    -less part forming
    -MG gundam hands
    -less fancy chrome everywhere?
    -remove electronics?
    -better robot heads (unreleased TF characters, just don't use the same name)
    -more guns, less melee weapons

did i miss anything?

20. SMOG

Uh, don't Roadbots already have rubber tires?

The new ones seem to have too much chrome, but the earlier ones were pretty restrained that way.

The heads seem to get better with each wave of Roadbots!

Ball joints would be nice in the smaller ones, but I don't see what the big deal is with the articulated hands. They're cool and all, but hardly a priority.

The 1:35 guys actually come with really COOL guns, in addition to the electronic gimmick weapons and weird melee stuff. The Ford GT has something that looks like Robocop's pistol, and the Pajero has something that looks like a shotgun an ALIENS marine would carry. So in the smaller scale, I gotta say, I LOVE the guns. :) 

zmog