A little dissapointed with one thing...

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Simian, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    I noticed that when the bots transform "sometimes" the transformation just consists of a flash of light, the TF sound and whala...alt mode........

Half the fun of watching TF's is seeing the transformation....so let's see that instead af the cheap wanka version...

edit: and my spelling.........................errrrrrrrrr......!!!

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally prefer these faster transformations. While not perfect, it's definetly a lot better than half the show consisting of stock footage of the same transformations over and over and over again (even longer if more than one transformed at the same time, and they then combined).

3. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The transformations add a bit of dynamic "punch" to the fight scenes, like when BB transformed in mid-air all Tazmanian Devil style in ep 1. I hate to make another Gurren Lagann comparison but its the same kind of "transformation"

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are just skipping drawing it so they can create faster animations. Yes I'd still prefer that we see the sequence. I remember pausing my VHS player just to see how G1 Megatron transforms... ah the 80's....

5. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone here misses the "flashing lights and stock footage of a transformation that focuses on the hands coming out of the arm, feet straightening, and head popping out of the neck" transformations.

I think what the OP means...and certainly what I mean...is that there is a bit more effort in the transformations than "bright flash and transformation noise" or a Tasmanian-devil-like spin. It can even be the same number of frames, I just like to see the parts shift and, well, transform. I always felt cheated in G1 when the animators got lazy with the Transforms (like Return of Optimus Prime, where the combiner limbs just melt into cubes), and I felt cheated in Beast Machines with the lame "I am transformed" sequences.

Still, I am aware that the "Tasmanian devil" and "lights with noises" transformations are only part of the show, and there are still a few traditional transformations too. Just wish there were more of the traditional transformations.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    if I had to look too far into it, I would probably theorize that the varied styles of transformation are a way of showing how "alive" the characters are, instead of just being robots who go "ctrl+shift+t" to initiate transformation sequence. Meaning that if Bumblebee needs to hit the ground running, he'll transform differently than if he needed to transform to catch something. But then I'm not the type to look too far into things.

7. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Yeah,

I definetly don't want the same stock footage over and over...like all the cg animated series were....but come on...just a lil' effort would be nice...G1 when it first began had nice transformations though they did get lazy in the end....just a tiny bit more elbow grease in the transformations and I'll be fine.

8. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

I am happy just hearing the G1 transformation sound just like G1... different speeds, pitches and stages...

not masked in (*ahem* RiD) or layed over the transformation animation! Puts smiles on my face... then again I'm getting old (30 in 18 more days)

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The transformation seems to go with the situation. There's the introductory "Anime make a presentation out of it" TF, the standard G1-ish matter-of-fact TF, and the gotta-gettit-done-quick zip-blur TF, usually seen in the middle of action scenes.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The transformation revolves around the plot. When it's a race against the clock, you gotta go fast. But when there's more time, it's okay toslow it down with reasonable limits.

It's not cheap at all. The "flash of light" thing happened once and will probably remain exclusive to that scene.

Sometimes a transfgormation is just seen from different angles in real time like one of SS's transforms.

My favorite kind is when you can still see major parts of the body, but some parts blur to give just that little intensity.

This is probably the only show where we've had more than two different styles of transformation s that go around the plot.

Honestly, we've only seen four episodes, so I have no idea how you're saying that the entire show is going to consist of these. These aren't lazy or not thought out, they're done on purpose to fit the action at the time.

"Just a little effort"? Have you seen episode four? I hardly can see how you can say any animation in that ep was effortless. (Episode one was a little rough around the edges, but ep four fixed that and more)

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watch the STILLNESS... AND STRIKE part again and tell me: Would the normal transformation sequence really work for a scene that's supposed to be fast?

12. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I think TFs have been neglecting real use of alt mode for years now.

Unless needed for transportation or explicit use of an alt mode item (crane on smokescreen) they don't use them. So they only transformed once per episode and were just large fighting robots most fo the time.

It feels like the alt mode is part of their identity a much more than before. They think as a transformer and not just a robot with a semi-unuseful alt mode.

More transformations mean less time for complicated transform sequences. I think we will see them but not as stock footage.

13. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

I like that they choose to omit the full transformation sequence at times. Full transformation scenes tend to get a little cheesy to me, especially when all space, time, actions and acts of violence from your enemies stop just to watch you do some 'cool' flashy transforming/ combining.

14. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

I think as long as they use a mix of full and quick transformations, that will be fine.

I actually like how they are letting them do mid transformations like pulling out their arms to help them like when prime yanks out his arms to hold himself still on the conveyer belt.

15. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's good that they aren't doing huge overblown transformation sequences, stock footage or not.

Transformers transform all the time. It's not some special thing, they just do it. "Hmm, I think I need to be a car so I can drive over there faster", a couple of seconds later, bam, they're a car. They aren't transforming just for the sake of getting to the battle, and then fighting. They can transform mid fight, without disrupting the flow of everything.

And in that sense, it's similar to g1, and I like it this way. They don't have to vogue after they transform, they don't have to scream a catch phrase every time, there's no super japanese robot henshin! sequence, etc etc. They just transform and go about their business.

And the half transformations are a nice touch, like sticking an arm out in car mode to do something. As well as using alt mode kibble in bot mode(bumblebee in episode 4) to get something done as well(is it really kibble at that point if it has a use?)

16. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

I like it, needless to say.:) 

Especially when they are dodging some enemy or laser rays.

17. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    You mean 'voilĂ ', n'est-ce pas?

Anyway, the G1 transformations usually weren't much to look at either, so I can't say we've lost anything. Besides, I think watching a gratuitous transformation sequence for the hundredth time would get dull after a while, so I understand and appreciate the animators' decision to shorten it.

18. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

I believe, and this is only my opinion, that the quick 1 second "twirl" or "flash" animation is far more repetitive and flat out lazy compared to seeing the mechanics do what they're supposed to do while transforming, i.e.: seeing parts shift from one place to another, hands popping out of the arm slots, etc..

19. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Before Animated started, people were afraid of the 'Tasmanian devil' style transformations, but i think after seeing some eps now, it's quite clear that: 1) those are not the only types of transformations we observe in episodes, and 2) there is value, effect and appropriateness to these speedy blur transformations. They are used along with slower, more detailed transformation sequences and real-time transformations are different times for different effects.

And i'm so glad the bots don't always have to scream out a "transform!" command before they transform. That kinda ruins their chances of subtlety.

20. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But the twirl and flash animation isn't used every time. Plus, having to watch a 20 second clip with background music lightning bolts in the background etc etc every time(they aren't going to make more than a couple detailed transformation sequences for a cartoon) gets old. Plus you're also limiting the number of times you can really have transformers transform in a 20 minute show when you do that. You can't have big huge complex transformation sequences for 5 robots that each transform a half dozen times in the course of an episode.

edit: just went throigh episode 4 at 4x speed, so it only took a couple of monites to check. 9 transformations, 8 of which occurred within the 6 minute long battle scene towards the end. Complex 20s animations times 8 means 160 seconds, 2 minutes and 40 seconds of transformations. That would have been more than 1/3 of the entire sequence just to do that, and it was only autobots in that battle as well(2 of which didn't transform at all for the entire episode).

I want to watch a show, not a string of long-winded transformation sequences.