David Kaye Interview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Dark Ramjet, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Dark Ramjet

Dark Ramjet Waiting patiently

News Credits:
    David Kaye the voice of Megatron in Beast Wars/Machines, Armada, Energon, and Cybertron sits down with TFW2005. Mr. Kaye is currently voicing Optimus Prime, Grimlock, and Lugnut in Transformers Animated. See what he had to say below.

TFW2005: What were the events that caused you to change from being the voice of Megatron for the past 12 years to your new role as Optimus Prime in Transformers Animated?

David Kaye: There were auditions that came through William Morris Agency in LA for the new series. I of course, really wanted at least the opportunity to audition for the role of Megatron and maybe anything else that might be available. I found out Sue Blu was the Voice Actor director and I love working with Sue so much I HAD to be on the show. I read for the roles from my home studio, emailed Sue and said to be on the look out for the files from William Morris and the next thing I knew I was back for the call backs. I figured, here we go...another Transformer series as Megatron. I certainly didn't even conceive I'd be even READING for the role of Optimus, let alone be cast as that character. As soon as I read for Prime, I could sense something was up and 2 weeks later I got the call that I'd be playing 'the good guy' now along with a couple of other regulars on the show. Lugnut and Grimlock.

TFW2005: Has it been hard switching gears from being Megatron to Optimus Prime?

David Kaye: Yesssss !! Just getting the rhythm of the character and finding out who he is took about a half dozen episodes. Even then, it was sometimes hard to keep him on track once in awhile. Completely different with how I handled Megatron in the Beast Wars, etc, series.

TFW2005: Transformers Animated Optimus Prime is supposed to be a younger incarnation than in previous shows. How would you describe the character you are playing in this series?

David Kaye: Well, funny thing was, they did want him younger, but as I became more comfortable with Prime I kind of dropped into the character to where he was closer to my own voice. They really liked how Prime was sounding. We actually went back and re-recorded a few episodes where Prime was originally sounding 'younger'.

TFW2005: Peter Cullen visualized John Wayne when he voiced Generation 1 Optimus Prime. Do you have anyone that you have based Animated Optimus Prime on?

David Kaye: No. I just wanted Prime to sound natural. It remains a bit of a battle, because you want to 'put it on' sometimes. I mean he's the 'Hero,' right?

TFW2005: Now that you have voiced both Transformers leaders, which one did you enjoy most, or were they equally satisfying?

David Kaye: Megatron was always my favorite character. He was so fun to do. Prime was a struggle for me at the beginning but after seeing the first three episodes, I can't wait to get back in the studio for another season or 2, or three or 4...

TFW2005: How difficult was it for you to originally land the role of Megatron in Beast Wars?

David Kaye: It didn't seem that difficult. I was just doing an audition for a cartoon show. It seemed like it was going to be pretty cool. Megatron just 'showed-up' I guess.

TFW2005: Was it hard to keep the role during the Armada, Energon and Cybertron shows when many other parts were recast?

David Kaye: Yessssssssssss !!! The animation was already drawn and there isn't much room to really play in that situation. You have to make the best of it sometimes and just try and fit the dialog in.

TFW2005: Out of all the Megatrons that you voiced throughout the years, what series was your favorite or most fun to do?

David Kaye:The first one (Beast Wars) and I quite enjoyed playing 'Noble' on the darker Beast Machines.

TFW2005: How do you feel about voicing characters originally pioneered by the likes of Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, and Gregg Berger? Does this affect the way you approach the roles?

David Kaye: I try not to have any preconceptions going in. These guys are MY heroes and people I look up to. I don't want to sound like, or take anything away from anybody. It's my job and one that I love immensely. So just to be able to work with these people and meet them is fantastic.

TFW2005: What did you think of Michael Bay's take on Transformers?

David Kaye: I really wanted to be a part of it. I mean, so did ALL of us that have been involved in the Transformers franchise at some time or another. I would have been a glorified extra if I could screaming "nooooooooooo." I thought it was pretty cool. It was totally amazing how far technology in film making has come. I went with my son and it was a great movie too see together. I especially loved Scorponok. The only thing was, even though it was AWESOME to here Peter Cullen speak as Prime, I kind of thought to hear the Autobots and Deceptions speak, took away from the mystery of them a bit. Hey that's just me, but overall, I thought it was a blast! Get it....blast ! Ha I KILL me!

TFW2005: Out of all the roles you have voiced over the years, which one is your favorite?

David Kaye: Megatron from Beast Wars and I kind of dug Professor X in X-men: Evolution.

TFW2005: Could you cite sources of inspiration for your voice work and describe how each of them inspired you?

David Kaye: Number one is Mel Blanc. A Master. My other mentor is Don La Fontaine. Had a chance to work with Don teaching a workshop. What a great man and I was totally in awe.

TFW2005: Is there any specific character archetype you're still itching to play
    that you've somehow avoided thus far in your career?

David Kaye: I'd love to be involved in the Star Wars franchise and to work with Seth MacFarlane would be my dream come true. I think he's completely BRILLIANT!!!

A special thanks again go out to Mr. Kaye for the opportunity and a few moments of his time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Nice Interview!

I like seeing Mel Blanc on his inspiration list. That's cool.

3. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

Fun to read! Thanks!

By the way, Dark Ramjet, can you send me the full version of your avatar? I don't think I've seen that one before. :) 

4. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I can imagine it must feel odd to switch from playing the role of the bad guy to a polar opposite hero role. Now he has to turn 180 degrees and play the rival of the evil character he's been for years. That must certainly be challenging. But i think it's quite refreshing to hear a new non-diabolical voice from Mr. Kaye in Animated. He has managed to capture the likability factor in Optimus Prime i think.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Wow, first time Ive heard someone say that Scorponok was their favorite from the movie; thats celebrities for you

6. IamPRIMUS

IamPRIMUS God among mortals

I would have loved to be on the other side of that interview. How he kept putting in the yesssss, just makes me keep invisioning Beast Wars Megatron, who is one of my favorite TF characters ever. It would be pretty funny to hear Kaye at one point in time ending a sentence with a very Megatron yesssss.

On a side note, I heard from somewhere a while ago that Kaye originally tried for the voice of Primal but instead got Megatron. No, wait, I think that might have been Garry Chalke who tried for Megs and got Primal. Damn, can someone help clarify that with me?

7. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great interview & it's nice to know dat Peter Cullen & Frank Welker are also his heroes.

Thanks Dark Ramjet for the interview.

8. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can practically "hear" this interview in my head, especially the obvious parts... and I love it... Kaye's cool...

... still have no interest in the show, but you know...

9. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I was stunned to be watching TV with my kids. "Noddy," a show about a group of toys, and elves, and dolls or something was on. I happened to see that David Kaye did the voice of Noddy the young boy elf on the show. Sounded just like a little kid. Good versatility!

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Great interview and nice work DR!

I thoroughly enjoyed his voicework as Prime on the animated movie :D 

11. shifty02

shifty02 This is the way

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Great interview! I've always loved David Kaye and he seems like a really great guy!

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome. Interesting that he wants to get into the SW franchise.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Nice interview, Dark Ramjet. Thanks for sharing it with us.

But I must add three corrections:

1. There is no "i" in Predacon [from the front page news blurb].
    2. Seth MacFarlane's name is spelled incorrectly.
    3. Peter Cullen did not "visualize John Wayne" when he was performing the voice of the Optimus Prime. Cullen has stated in several interviews that the voice is based on an imitation of his brother, Larry, who served as a Captain in the Marine Corps. And most recently, MTV asked Cullen in an interview if he based the character on John Wayne, to which he replied:
    Also, if you recorded either audio or video of your interview and could upload it as well, I'm sure I speak for many who would love to see/hear it. Interviews with VAs are infinitely more interesting if you can hear and/or see them.

14. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    So I guess we are going to have to wait to see more of animated before we hear Prime's "real" voice?

unless the first three episodes are among those they re-recorded.

15. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Great interview! Go Mr. Kaye!

16. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

David Kaye just got Brownie points for liking Cullen and Welker. Still don't like his Megatron though.

17. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup! i agree i was watching dat same show with my daughter when the credits start to roll, i saw it was his name as noddy.
    WTF! dis guy is good & versatile. his voice was like a five year old kid.
    I thought i was the only who noticed.

18. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Thats cool, I still prefer the original voice but his isn't bad.

19. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Good interview. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Kaye at last year's Botcon, seems like a pretty likeable down to earth guy and a very talented VA.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    You missed Sue Blu, not Blue. :D 

Great interview, DR! Thanks!