Star Wars Transformers Death Star/Darth Vader

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by tikgnat, Sep 14, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Righty, I'll be quick and get right to the point, Death Star Rocks.

Sure, its the worlds most obvious Shellformer, but I think we can expect that from Planet formers anyway.

The bot mode is very cool, its very articulated and reasonably solid. Press a button on his belly and he comes up with 5 different phrases. The voice isn't James Earl Jones, but its close. The best bit is when you put his Lightsaber in his right hand, it automatically lights up with a Lightsaber power up sound! With the Lightsaber in, press a button on his arm and it lights up and makes some noises, (I actually can't remember what they were, he's in planet mode at the mo', sorry) but without the Lightsaber, pressing the button activates a Lightsaber power down sound.

He has a little laser gun as well, that shoots his green missile. This gun actually stores in the Death Star and is how it shoots the projectile as well.

Transforming him into the Death Star is a pain in the ass, all the individual shell pieces are a nightmare to align properly, but once done (properly) he holds together pretty well. Press a button on the back of the Death Star and he comes up with 2 different firing sequences. The best thing about this is there are three green LEDs behind the dome, which signify the three lasers converging to the big laser.

The Death Star comes with 4 mini figures, 3 stormtroopers and Vader himself, there is storage in his shoulders and shins for these figures, but no space is set aside for the three TIE fighters. Actually, the only real dissapointment are these pack in TIEs, (I think they're meant to transform int some half assed mech thing?) the wings are misaligned, they fit together properly when the wings are rotated around so they are longer, instead of taller.

Also, I think there's meant to be a cape, the box has it, the instructions have it, but alas, my Darth Vader is capeless. Anyone else have a Death Star and no cape? Cuz if you do have a cape... well I'll be pissed.

But all in all, the best STWF so far. But thats not saying much admittedly. Eeeh, probably on a par with Primus.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow, but I'm too tired right now.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bummer if it's not James Earl Jones doing the voice. Man the U.S. needs to hurry up and get this. Looking forward to your pics tikgnat!

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    :useless 

4. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Agreed useless without pics.

And no cape? How I hope there is a cape in thsi as this is the only SWTF I intend on ever getting.

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I disagree with the useless. Light and sound effects? Neat! Also, not an obvious Piece of Crap(tm)? Awesome!

6. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I found the cape, it was packed in the box, hidden on the right hand side.

I'll take pictrues hopefully tomorrow.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    The only SWT I really have/had any interest in, just...don't see myself picking it up until its nice and cheap.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If the Mellenium Falcon was any indication, this guy is gonna be AWESOME!

9. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definately looking forward to some comparison shots.
    Is this guy taller then Primus?

10. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You said that the bot mode is "very articulated", from pics of this guy that we've seen so far it looks as if there is no articulation in his fingers (unlike the other planet Transformers) so I was wondering if he actually does have some or not.

Also, if he doesn't then I'm guessing its to do with electronics in the right hand for the lightsaber. If this is true then 1: does the left hand have articulation and 2: if one or neither hand has articulation, is the electronics a fair trade off in your opinion?

Mr K

11. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    More info on the transforming TIE fighters please, I thought they were just little toys, they actually do something else!?!

12. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Righty, in packaging. It looks like it says try me by pushing his penis, but its actually a button on his belly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a Saga Vader,, he's 3 3/4 inches tall, so the Death Star is actually quite small.

[​IMG]

With the Laser cone lit up, there are actually 4 LEDs behind there, but the top one can't be seen from this angle. When they are all on, it does a decent job of showing off the tri laser thing from the film. If you open up a hatch in the top of the Death Star and press the Mech head down it shoots out the missile.

[​IMG]

Vader mech in all his glory. I forgot to take comparison pics with Primus or Unicron, cuz, you know. I'm shit. I'll go back down once I've finished here and take another pic. As you can see, he's very articulated, but no finger articulation.

[​IMG]

Close up of the upper torso, the Lightsaber is actually lit, but taking pics in broad daylight to show off lightsabers FTL. Again, I'll go back downstairs later and redo another pic.

[​IMG]

Vader talking, the LEDs that make up the Death Star laser light up. Its a shame his eyes don't light up though.

[​IMG]

The Mini figures, 3 Stromtroopers and 1 Vader, who seems to be exactly the same as the other mini Vader figs from the rest of the line. 'Rock on' Stormtrooper pose optional.

[​IMG]

You actually get 3 little TIEs, the wings rotate around, but sit best as they are in the right hand side TIE, ie, not correctly. Also, the instructions say that the little head thing on the one on the right is the TIE fighters 'mech' mode. To that I have to say LULZ.

[​IMG]

Mech mode my ass.

Edit

Next to Unicron. Primus got cut out of the frame... bad boys stick together.

[​IMG]

Light up saber, it wasn't that dark but you get the effect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Articulated ankles = win.

He looks awesome, which is contrary to all of my previous SWT experience. Woo!

How is rubbery plastic content? Low? High? None? All? SWT's I've held in-hand had rather a lot of very soft, spongey, and child-safe plastic bits that felt more than a little disappointing.

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He looks awesome -- thanks for the pics, tikgnat!

The pic with Unicron reveals that he's a fair bit smaller than I was expecting, though.

15. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just found he has hangers in his shoulder bits foe the TIEs... sweet!

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    That will officially be the one and only SWTF I will ever own.

Looks awesome thanks for sharing Tik, let the hunting begin :rock 

17. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

consider the pics saved. even if i did not like vader much as a toy, i would get if for those tie fighters.

18. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sorry, I only just read other peeps posts,

His rubbery plastic content is low, he feels nice and stiff. (Oooer missus!) The only rubbery feeling thing is his lightsaber (Oooer missus!) but I think thats a deliberate safety thing, cuz you know, kids are stupid, and would doubtless find some way to castrate themselves with it.

No finger articulation because of electronics? Yeah, I'd say it was a fair trade off. This guy is far smaller than Unicron, and smaller than Primus, finger articulation isn't necessary as he isn't that big.

The electronics for his hand alone are super sweet, there's an action button on his right wrist. Press it without a lightsaber and it makes a sort of blaster shooting sound, I guess to accompany his gun. Put the Lightsaber in his hand and it automatically lights up with a Saber powerup sound and has a steady lightsaber hum, leave it long enough (a few seconds) and it runs a saber power down noise.

Press the action button while its lit and it cycles through Hasbros lightsaber sounds, (seriously, I think these are the exact same sounds that come with Hasbros toy electronic lightsabers, which are different to Master replica's sounds) 2 types of clashes and one arc wave sound. If you remove the Saber while its lit it automatically does the power down sound as well.

Its possible to store everything except the Lightsaber in Death Star mode, I folded up the cape into one of the storage hatches, and put the three TIEs in the other. I had to dissassemble one of them to get them all to fit though. The Death Star laser I put into the top of the Death Star in the Hatch, its not a proper storage place but it works.

Anyway, this fella is really fantastic. And TFing him back into the Death Star gets a lot easier once you've done it a few times.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    He looks small for the $49.99 pricepoint, which is the pricepoint I last saw for him. I have not SWTF thus far, and the TF movie drought even caused me to consider buying the Xwing Luke SWTF! However judging from the reviews here and elsewhere, I am very hesitant to pick that one up. Nonetheless, the Death Star and Millenium Falcon SWTF look to be worthy additions to the collection as well as the shark mouthed ARC-170.

This Darth Vader SWTF looks to be the best Vader Transformer ever.

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Awesome looking figure.

Don't know if he's worth the pricetag though.

Mind you, I got Primus at a steal.