Destroy/Lost/Unusable TF mold list

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Destroyed/Lost/Unusable TF mold list

I was wondering if there was a accurate, or at least up to date list concerning the known molds of G1 that are no longer available. Whether it be because of licensing issues (Shockwave, Deluxe Insecticons) or because of destruction, such as the Takara factory fire years ago.

This is the list i've compiled so far:

Autobot
    Mirage
    Sunstreaker
    Wheeljack
    Grimlock
    Sludge
    Snarl
    Swoop
    Slag
    Jetfire
    Omega Supreme
    Roadbuster
    Whirl
    Silverbolt
    Air Raid
    Sky Dive
    Slingshot
    Fireflight
    Hot Spot
    First Aid
    Blades
    Groove
    Streetwise

Decepticon
    Shockwave
    Chop Shop
    Barrage
    Venom
    Ransack
    Soundwave (current release is reverse-engineered)
    Scrapper
    Scavenger
    Long Haul
    Bonecrusher
    Mixmaster
    Hook
    Motormaster
    Dead End
    Braekdown
    Dragstrip
    Wildrider

Molds i'm assuming are gone:
    Rumble/Frenzy
    Technobots
    Terrorcons

If anyone can add anything to this list, i'd be really greatful. As I understand it, most of these were lost in the Takara fire, or are molds that were borrowed from other companies and cannot be reissued.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Aerialbots, Protectobots, Stunticons and Constructicons all ought to exist still - they were all reused for G2, they'd just be so expensive to reissue that it hasn't been done yet. You're probably about right on the rest, though.

3. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    Pretty sure they got burnt down in the Takara factory fire - and they could've been reissued in Universe like the Combaticons/Seacons have been. Far as I know, the Takara factory fire was AFTER G2 - hence we saw those molds then but never again.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Has Sunstreaker ever been confirmed? I thought they only said Wheeljack and Mirage at BotCon '05 or '06.

RiD Side Burn, Prowl and X-Brawn apparently also belong on that list, as do Beast Wars Basic Rattrap and Terrorsaur.

And the Armada Space Mini-Con Team is also unusable now according to Takara.

Oh, "Brakedown" is the name of the Cybertron toy. The G1 toy was named "Breakdown". :) 

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    K.O Mirage is out, it's every bit as good as the original.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

(current release is reverse-engineered)Soundwave

If one would be so particular about it, the original Optimus Prime mold is also lost.

I believe there is more than one of each mold for the most popular G1 characters.

7. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    I'm not 100% sure on Sunstreaker but we've seen most of the 1984 lineup that wasn't destroyed (well, Trailbreakers mold was used as hoist) and we haven't seen him yet. Could be wrong though.

The other ones you mentioned i've noted, but mainly looking at the lost G1 toys for now. Do you happen to have any other information as to what might've been lost in the fire Nevermore? You're somewhat of a oracle of TF knowledge so if you know any more that'd be great.

Also, anyone found any news links on the Takara fire, I just want to get a date that it happened more than anyway, did a quick search on google and couldn't find anything.

8. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Beast Wars Transmetal Ravage is lost too (I think Hasbro mentioned they would have stuck him in the BWX line but couldn't find the mold).

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    How do you know? just because they're using the magnus cab (different front wheels) for all the releases after G2 doesnt mean they don't still have the original. they obviously still have his gun, roller, and the trailer. doesnt seem like they'd just lose that one part of him. if the prime cab mold was worn out, the trailer and roller would be too, since they have always been used together. they'd all have the same amount of wear and degradation.

10. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...then why the hell couldn't they be troubled to...I dunno...make their own? It wouldn't be that hard for them to put in the effort to recreate X9 Ravage, after all wasn't he just a really good remold of Transmetal Cheetor? And wasn't the damn mold used just a few years prior to BWX for the Botcon Tigatron. I swear Hasbro and Takara need to learn some organization skills with their molds...

11. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Didn't hasbro said at botcon astrotrain's mold is gone?

12. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Damn,I had no clue that many molds were gone.If they reverse engineered Soundwave,then why couldn't they just do the same for all the others?

13. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Astrotrain's mold is gone? O_O;; Didn't they only just re-release him not too long ago...I know Takara had like 8 thousand different reissue version but still...

14. Soot

Soot Member

The dinobots from the recent Q & A panel. Hasbro never really elaborated if its all 5 or not but at least its an official statement.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Cause the "reverse engineering" was from Soundblaster's mold. In essence they remolded Soundblaster back into Soundwave.

16. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

OMG.....:yuck :banghead: 

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    gah, people keep saying this, but it is not true.

the exposed hinge is from japanese G1 soundwaves. it's a variant. some japanese G1 soundwaves had exposed hinges, some didnt.

I used to have an exposed-hinge soundwave, but I sold it in 2000. the exposed hinge confused the hell out of me because I never saw it before.

soundwave was reverse-engineered from soundwave. they used the exposed hinge version so they'd only have to change a single part for soundblaster.

they took an exposed hinge soundwave from their own collection (they keep mint copies of every TF on hand, as we've seen before in takara's displays at conventions), took him apart, used his parts to cast new molds, did a shit load of error correction, and then they had a new mold for soundwave.

soundwave was reverse engineered because of his popularity. they knew it would sell extremely well. they were able to recoup the costs rather easily. other characters are more risky.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't know where to find the specific info, but I remember when the Japanese toy/hobby mags were reporting the first instance of the Japanese reissue COnvoy, the articles (supposedly) went on about how a number of mold elements (primarily the ones that were used for the metal parts) were remade/reverse engineered. You're right that it doesn't prove the molds are lost or destroyed exactly, but it stands to reason they were dinged-up enough that Takara wanted to make new ones. (and knew Convoy would sell enough to justify the cost)

As far as this goes, I'm not sure what the point of making distinctions about toy molds being lost/destroyed when new ones were funded by Takara (I'll leave the knock-offs out of the discussion for now, since the home companies presumably can't use 'em). The way I see it, if TakaraTomy and/or Hasbro can use a mold, remade or not, it's not "lost", since I would think the primary purpose of this thread is to inform about which molds are currently unavailable for reissues or repaints, and by that criteria, Optimus and Soundwave are available, even if the first versions of their molds might not be.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I never heard of the "Takara fire" prior to this thread.

20. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Popular molds, such as Optimus Prime, Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp/Dirge/Ramjet/Thrust, Soundwave ....

Those figures have multiple molds now. If they begin to lose a few, they create new ones, because it's a guarantee profit no matter how you swing it.

Reverse engineering is no longer "incredibly difficult to do" ... it's just incredibly time-consuming. The cost isn't even that bad these days, it's more along the lines of getting the resources together to spend the months of time to do it, and the man-power that goes into it (literally buy 6 to 7 figures, take them each apart, get the best piece from each one, etc.)

Hasbro and Takara can literally release anything if they really wanted to (ie: saw the profit in it)