Man arrested for recording Transformers.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

What a tool.

3. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

Idiot. That's a given. And let the punishment fit the crime. However, how can the film industry claim losses? They assume those who purchased the $5 bootleg would have instead paid $10 for a ticket to the theater? In that same vein, I should be able to claim a tax break at the end of the year because I would have spent 3 times the amount I paid in gas for my car had I actually done all the traveling I wanted? For that matter, the gas stations and oil companies should sue me because I didn't travel as much as they thought I would. Seems illogical.

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Intellectual property rights versus piracy.

There's still the DVD you know.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Cool. Transformers participated in a new law being broken for the first time!

6. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dude piracy is stealing and stealing is against the law. To challenge these ideas and think critically is completely obscene.

7. Autobot HipHop

I don't think he was challenging piracy laws, he was challenging the fact that companies assume the same people who buy bootleg DVD's will buy store copies if they had no other choice. Which is a valid point IMHO. They shouldn't be able to just chalk that up as a loss on some bar graph in a board meeting.

8. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Honestly, how could bootlegging not cause the industry a loss? Ticket sales, DVD sales, and DVD rentals are all adversely effected by movie piracy. I mean, do you seriously believe that if pirated movies weren't readily available, that those persons who typically buy pirated films would simply stop watching movies?

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Meh, people who can't afford to go to movies need bootlegs, and yes there are MANY people who cannot afford to go spend an assload of money just to watch a movie. It doesn't hurt the industry has much as they claim, but he got caught so yeah the punishment should fit the crime.

10. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Why would you pay to watch one of those awful cam jobs when you can pay to see it on a big screen? Especially a movie like this that's made for a big screen. Apparently this guy never saw that episode of Seinfeld.

11. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I can't afford it so stealing is okay!

Woot!

12. Autobot HipHop

Sure it costs the industry. Nobody is saying it doesn't. But to say that every single person who buys a bootleg copy would automatically opt for the real one if piracy didn't exits would be absurd.

Some buyers of bootlegged DVD's would probably just end up borrowing a co-workers or friends store bought version and make a DVD copy themselves.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    What a loser.

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    eh, this guy was suggesting piracy can help poverty couple'a pages back in MD forum.

yay for skewed logic!

15. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Theft / stealing is a crime and thus against the law. Why is this? When you steal an apple from a shop, they no longer have the apple which cost them money to buy. If you steal a DVD from a shop, they no longer have the DVD and have lost money. If you decide to download a film instead of rent it out, the video store loses money. If there's a film you'd never actually want enough to rent out but download it on a whim, watch it, like it, go out and buy it, tell your friends about it, they go out and rent it / buy it then... wait. The video store / film company ends up with more money instead of none! My black and white world has been thrown into a state of turmoil...

16. smkspy

So you wouldn't take a burned cd that your friend may give you?

PLease, Lets all get on our high horses now.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I don't copy movies or cds, I hate crappy cd-rs and dvd-rs. I stopped downloading free music years ago.

18. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

The differences are:

1) My friend is not profiting from letting me listen to a burned CD. (In truth, most of my friends would let me borrow the original btw.)

2) If I enjoyed whatever it was, I would subsequently go make a purchase, not make another copy of it even though I have the means.

Bottom line, being able to afford these types of products is NEVER an excuse for stealing.

(I don't want to get into an argument about if my family is starving and stealing a loaf of bread.)

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    YARRR!! Thar be pirates afoot matey! And we be taping yar movies!

Hey if the guy got caught. He'll have to pay the punishment. It is stealing, he intended to make a profit from it most likely and he screwed up. Case closed.

20. smkspy

Bootlegs have all been around and few industries have every really been hurt by them. I don't see people many people complaining about knock offs. And based on the amount of money that movies make I don't think they or the dvd industry are hurting.

Buying a $5 bootleg dvd isn't going to hurt the industry. If you like the movie enough you'll get the DVD because the quality on bootlegs is shit anyways.

And if you have a burned cd your friend gave that you liked, then your really going out to buy the cd just for jewel case? Unless, its some artist you have nearly every cd of then I sincerely doubt that.

You must just be the most moral man in America then.

Like I said though, he got caught so he should get punished, but to equate movie and music piracy has this gross crime against humanity is silly.

Yeah, taking it into the starving and loaf of bread thing is just silly also.