Masterpiece Ultra Magnus with Trailer?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, May 7, 2007.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

Since we got Prime with/trailer, is there chance that takara will decide to make UM with trailer as a giftset?

2. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Who Friggin knows. I would bet on no, since it was produced in much smaller numbers.

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Unlikely. I don't think Magnus is as nowhere nearly as popular as Optimus Prime. Magnus' trailer would also be more complicated than Prime's, having to transform and that, therefore bumping up the price way past MP-04's, which makes it really a bit of a non-starter in my opinon.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Wasn't there a thread about this just last week?

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aside from probably not being anywhere near financially worthwhile to develop, the mold doesn't seem to lend itself to being fitted with armor. Where could it go so that it wouldn't interfere with 95% of the articulation?

Still, it would indeed be cool.

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some things are just better left alone.

8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Leaving Ultra Magnus as just a white Prime repaint is not one of those things. He really needs that trailer/armor.

9. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    agreed. also, your sig is @#$%ing hilarious.

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'd rather have a MP Grimlock than a MP complete Ultra Magnus.

11. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    Actually it was an extremely stupid idea to design MP Prime WITHOUT the ability to merge with an eventual Ultra Magnus trailer/armor. The 'white Prime cab = Ultra Magnus' thing is just ridiculous IMO.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The trailer itself would be a lot more complex than the oversized THS Convoy trailer that was included in MP04. Instead of just folding open/closed, it would be required to hold together as a trailer, and fit the arms/legs/chest etc securely without any significant compromise to the articulation of the figure. Considering what MP04 cost thanks to the addition of a simple trailer, it's a fairly sure thing that a 'Perfect edition' Ultra Magnus would cost
    quite a bit more than MP04, and MP04 is hardly cheap. So, it would be a case of a toy that costs more than MP04, but is a less well known character.

I strongly doubt they'd ever release a separate trailer for MP Magnus. They didn't for MP Convoy.

Perhaps Ultra Magnus does 'need' a full set of armor, but they need to make a profit and that will always be their first concern.

13. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely believe they would make MP Ultra Magnus complete version! As far as complexity and articulation, I’m not worried. So many people thought it was impossible to create a show accurate G1 Megatron but we have MP-5. Anemis has already created one custom version, update the first one and is in the process of finishing the “perfect grade.”

Sidebar: He’s work is just incredible!

Cost will definitely be a factor but you know that collectors will spend the money! I also believe it will cost more money separately. MP-2 value has increased considerably since it was 1st released. A complete version of MP UM would be the best version by far.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As impressive as that is for a scratchbuild/custom (and I really mean that, I have no skills that even remotely compare), it's not for me.

The Masterpiece Convoy mold simply doesn't leave room to attach armor without destroying the asthetic of the toy. It just becomes a brick, like G1 Magnus. While I think that was passable back then, I don't believe armor that almost completely eliminates articulation (and gives the figure strange proportions) would be well-received if released at retail.

And again, MP-02 was just a quick way to cash in on the mold. There's no reason for TakTomy to go back and develop something new like that when they can just repaint MP-03 half a dozen times for the next few Masterpiece releases.

15. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe this comments address those concerns but time will tell!

16. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

G1 Magnus's trailer looks like ass in both modes. Doesn't belong on an MP toy.

Bingo.