Should I buy Star Wars Battlefront II? And for which platform?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by netkid, Oct 16, 2006.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I have my Ps2 set up for online play but I also have a new more powerful computer (I do not own an X-Box). So I'm wondering if this game is worth it. I can buy the Ps2 or the PC version for $20.00.
    The real question is, which version is better? Ps2 or PC? I know I can switch back and fourth from 1st to 3rd person in both games so that is not an issue. Basically what I am saying here is that I don't want something that would lag while playing online. Which version would be ideal for the best online play? Thats all I really care about.

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

PC is better because of game mods.

Though for me SWBF 1 is better than SWBF 2.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

It isn't worth bothering with at all if you've got a decent PC, there are far better FPS games with bigger player bases out there. The Star Wars licence is no cover for it being a medicore game, which is all the more obvious when you stack it up against real competition rather then whats available on consoles.

4. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    well thats quite the pickle. Depending on how many people actaully play it online i'd prolly go with pc, plus the mods. PS2 would be awsome just because it's ps2.

but in the end Mods and custom maps probably make the game sweet, if it has custom maps. Plus probably heck of a lot more people online at ounce with PC

5. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

PC allows MANY more guys on field than the others. It's max 64 human players, and you can set it to put all 150 minions on field at once.
    And Yak, you say it is mediocre. It all depends on how you look at it. What other FPS games allow for tons of bots to be on field? I for one love that aspect of the game, and the control node gameplay. Ya, you can't pick up weapons and things, but that isn't a big FPS selling point. What FPSs do you prefer? Just because you prefer the aspects of the genre that they emphasize doesn't mean that they are better, they just better match your tastes.

6. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've always been a fan of star wars. Not a big fan but A fan. I enjoy the games, movies, and figures but I'm not the one to go to a convention or dress up in costume. I don't even own a toy lightsaber or any role-play toys like that. Just SOME action figures, games, and the original triology on vhs (before Lucas f***ed around with it). The only reason I've been thinking of buying this game is because:
    1. It looks fun.
    2. I like star wars.
    3. Friends I know who own it really enjoy it.

So after hearing all your opinions, I think I'll go with PC mainly because I fear that with PS3 coming out now the PS2 version's online play will eventually go away before the PC online play ever does. Plus the PC has sharper graphics, more people can play in each level, mods, and it doesn't slow down at times like the console games do. So, does anyone want to change my opinion? Is there anything else I should know about before choosing a version? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

7. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Well if you go with pc,then check out the starwars filefront website for maps,mods,and other things.

8. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm pretty sure my new PC will meet the requirements for playing the game. If they don't then I'll be pissed. Oh well. Then I'd be forced to go with Ps2.
    Hey, answer this for me: for each console version (ps2 & x-box) EXACTLY how many (the max. limit) people can play in an online level and how many minions can there be?
    I know that PC's limit is 64 human players, and 150 minions at once.
    I heard that ps2 was 25? x-box 50?
    Am I right about this?

9. RabidYak

Battlefront 2 is still mediocre when you take it within its own subgenre, Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike Source are both better class-based team FPS games. Not to mention the hideously low rent engine or the fact that they tried to pass it off as a PC game when its just a cheap console port.

10. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ^Listen, I know about other BETTER games in this genre. But I also like star wars and I'm willing to give this game a try even if it's not better than battlefield or counter-strike. I'm also going to buy all the battlefield games(and expansions) and all the half-life and counterstrike games as well (and possibly doom 3). I've just been waiting a while because my current computer is not strong enough to run them and also because I'm more of a console gamer. I do own PC games but only when they are not available on a console. Now given the fact that half-life did come out on ps2 I decided not to buy it because I wanted the PC version which had all the expansions and counter-strike. I also did not bother with the battlefield game for ps2 because I heard it was crap and I'd rather play all the other ones on the PC because they have larger levels and also because the games take place during different wars where as the PS2 battlefield is modern warfare only. And since I do not own an X-Box & X-Box 360 (or will ever consider owning one) I would not buy Doom 3, Counter-Strike, or Half-Life for it since I can get more enjoyment out of the PC version and be treated to better graphics (for certain games).
    So thats how I see it. PC or Ps2.

11. RabidYak

I wasent ragging on you, I was responding to the qouted post from Dalarsco.

I wouldent rate the game even if it was the only one of its type, there would still be no excuse for its shoddy engine or the sheer laziness of the PC port.

12. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ^sorry if you thought i was ragging on you. if i sounded that way in my previous post then i did not mean it. it's hard to communicate correctly online than in person. people can easily misunderstand one another and get confused.:confused: 

anyways, i totally understand where you coming from. now i HAVE played(not beaten but played) all the battlefield(ww2, vietnam, etc.), half-life(including expansions and #2), counterstrike(and source), and doom3. my friend has them on his pc and he lets me play them whenever i want. yes i do want all these great games and i will eventually buy them.:D 

but now you've raised more questions for me. before i buy a game i try very hard to find out as much as i can about it. this especially includes and issues or problems there may be within the game. so please tell me more about this "shoddy engine or the sheer laziness of the PC port.":inquisiti  i want to know everything i can before i make a final decision. my only fear is that i'll make a wrong decision and regret it.:banghead: 

13. RabidYak

No problem.

The Battlefront engine feels dated and amaturish for games that were released in 2004 and 2005. Theres little in the way of interaction beyond standard movement and shooting, the physics arn't even remotely convincing and the visuals were about 2 years behind when the games were new. The vehicles arn't particularly entertaining to either use or fight against and the faux space combat missions in the second one arn't up to much.

The PC version is pretty much just a strait port of the console game with marginally better graphics, they did nothing to take advantage of the platform or bring it up to the standard of other games on the market. Because it isn't a PC game that was downported to less capable consoles, the PC version is stuck within the technical and design limitations of 5 year old consoles instead of being the sort of gaming experience that you should be getting on your computer and that you can find in almost every other recent title in the genre.

I'll conceed that its probably a passable game in the land of console FPS titles. From the standpoint of a PC FPS gamer thougth, I found it to be little more then a half arsed product put out to cash in on Star Wars and the increasing popularity of the subgenre. You'll get a few hours mild entertainment out of it, but not your moneys worth if buy it for $20+.

14. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ^ Thanks for the info.
    All I want to know now is how many people and NPC minions(the maximum) can play in online mode for the PS2. I know the numbers for the PC(I know that PC's limit is 64 human players, and 150 minions at once.).

And just to play it safe, I'll rent it first for my PS2. If I don't like it then I'll just forget it all together and save my $money$.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yo, netkid -

My little brother and I play SW: Battlefront 2 on our PS2 whenever he's home from his college. As a PS2 game, the controls are relatively easy to get used to, the number of AI players in the game is good enough for us, the challenge is nice - we have about an 80/20 win/lose ratio on the galactic campaigns and the graphics are all right. (They're not drop-dead, gamers-award fantastic, but they do look pretty awesome.)

It's a fun game if you can find it for cheap for the PS2. I don't know anything about it on the PC, but it's been a nice fill-in for beating the crap out of my bro from the Goldeneye days. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

16. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ^Thanks man but hey, since you own the game(PS2 version) I was wondering if you could possibly answer this one question for me:

In Star Wars Battlefront 2, exactly how many people can play and how many Non Playable Character minions can play in an online game for the PS2. I know the numbers for the PC(I know that PC's limit is 64 human players, and 150 minions at once, which to me is insane!(in a good way)).

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    If you're talking about how many characters spawn on the battlefield simultaneously, I'm not sure. It usually seems like it's between 20-30 of each team working together. Honestly, I'd assume the PS2 would be limited by the processor and the game engine and probably isn't capable of dropping 150 minions into the game at once. Again, I don't know.

...however, I can't see that as a selling point for the game. The 20-30 characters per team limit that SEEMS to be where my brother and I play at works well enough to keep the game challenging but enjoyable, even on the most difficult AI setting. I'll check later on tonight and see if the PS2 gives me a definite number of AI players.

18. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Damn you Wikipedia. Then again, ....."Thanks?" ehh.....now I am having second thoughts. Once again goddamn x-box gets everything -including patches!:( 

Downloadable content
    On December 19, 2005, LucasArts introduced a new downloadable level for the Xbox version of Star Wars Battlefront II through Xbox Live. The upgrade adds a Hero Assault Mode to Kashyyyk, which provides a new alternative to Mos Eisley for the Hero Assault mode.

Another Xbox Live download was made available on January 31, 2006, with two new playable hero characters (Kit Fisto and Asajj Ventress) as well as four maps from the original Star Wars: Battlefront. Each of the new boards (Yavin 4: Arena, Bespin: Cloud City, Rhen Var Harbor and Rhen Var Citadel) has Conquest, Capture-the-Flag, and Hero Assault modes (including the two new characters). Rhen Var Harbor also has a Hunt mode where the native species are wampas. In addition, Hero Assault modes were also added to the following maps: Coruscant, Mygeeto, and Naboo.

In late March 2006, the game was added to the Backwards Compatibility List for the Xbox 360, and is now playable on both the original Xbox and the Xbox 360. [1]

Lucasarts released a patch on February 15, 2006. [2]. The patch also included support for additional maps, and the modding tools were subsequently released on February 21. [3]

Critical response
    IGN claimed that the game suffers from problems remaining from the original Battlefront, such as a lack of challenging AI characters in single player mode. Computer-controlled opponents and allies tend to run headlong into gunfire, wander off ledges, and walk into walls. IGN felt that this, along with redundant use of planets featured in previous Star Wars settings, were problems carried over from the original Battlefront.[4]

IGN also noted that the complex controls and graphics of space battles and all-hero battles can make online multiplayer games virtually unplayable. Moreover, IGN felt that Lag times and high ping rates can cause the action to become choppy, objects and players to disappear, and weapons to become ineffective. [5] A related criticism from Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) is the longer load time needed between boards, which is also caused by more detailed graphics and larger maps than the original Battlefront.[6] For the Playstation 2 version, many have complained about the lack of a patch to resolve most gameplay issues, as well as having a server with large amounts of AI without crashing.

In addition the omission of fan favorite maps (e.g. Cloud City, Bespin Platforms) from the original Battlefront, and the subsequent XBOX Live-only addition of these maps have caused great disappointment among fervent fans of the game with other systems. However, many of the original Battlefront maps are available to download on some fansites. Minor fan complaints also mention the abrupt and inconclusive story ending of the campaign which stops at the Battle of Hoth without at least concluding with Return of the Jedi. A possible explanation, however, could be that since the Imperials historically lose the Battle of Endor, the player would have to also lose in order to conclude the war as it happened.

Official criticism of the PSP version revolves mainly around the platform's ability to handle the game, rather than the game itself. Although the graphics were slightly stripped down to improve load times, EGM found Battlefront's controls to be too complex for the PSP's simple controls. EGM cited further problems with the game's slowdown in multiplayer mode.[7]. Many players also cited dislike for the PSP version due to it's ommitence of the story-line mode from the console versions depicting the Rise of the Empire, and the ability to enter large enemy ships like the Star Destroyer and damage them from the inside, probably due to the technical limitations of the PSP system.

Glitches
    In the PC, Playstation 2, and Xbox versions, there is a glitch when playing as Han Solo. If the player has achieved the Award Pistol at Legendary, and switches to the fusion cutter, it is impossible to switch back to the blaster pistol. Also, on the Playstation 2 version, when playing on Hoth in Hunt mode with any character, the sky frequently becomes multicolored.

Another famous location for Glitches is Mos Eisley. In Hero assualt, when playing as Chewbacca, it is possible to Jump into the Boat's phyiscal being and whilst staying still, your phyisically falling forever infinitely releasing Health & Ammo 7 ect. There are over 15 other glitches on the level, some like this, and a lot allowing players to freely walk through Walls.

The game also contains a glitch where in space battles, landing a small ship halfway out of the hangar of a star destroyer or republic venator ship, allows one to exit the ship and walk out into space. This glitch also allows a Pilot to repair the ship's systems from the outside with a fusion cutter. Another space battle glitch is when the CIS Capital Ship's Targeting Control Bridge is destroyed it is possible to fly a ship through the top of the control bridge, in the middle of the mass of turrets. From there you can use a ship to shoot the internal critical systems or effectively fly into the parts of the ship, such as the shield generator room.

In 2006, LucasArts released a "reduced price" PC version of the game that did not come with a physical, paper manual -- the game manual is presented in PDF format on the disk. However, this version still requires a CD-Key from the back page of the not-included paper manual in order to install. The CD-Key is not included in the PDF manual or anywhere in the game packaging for this version of Battlefront II. This particular edition cannot be successfully installed on a PC unless the user first scans and e-mails (or faxes) a receipt and UPC to LucasArts tech support. [8] [9] [10] Tech support will only provide a CD-Key after verifiying a receipt and UPC (a process taking between 24 and 48 hours). As of October 2006, LucasArts has not announced any recall of these defective products.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefront_2

19. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Battlefront 2 was designed with consoles in mind so if you play it on the PC, don't expect it to be on the same level as say Battlefield 2. It's still a lot of fun though, especially the space battles or playing as a Jedi.

You're joining the party late though. The number of people playing online isn't near what it was when the game was released or even 6 months ago.
    Many people are sick of the bugs in the game, allowing people to wall glitch (hide in the walls), and the unbalanced characters (the engineer's shotgun is WAY too powerful). The few people remaining are the hardcore, and will probably whup your ass all over the place.

20. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Damn. I knew I should of bought this at christmas time! Well at least I still have my Metal Gear Online:D .

Star Wars Battlefront Math: Maximum number of players per online match.
    PS2: 24
    + 8 =
    X-BOX: 32
    + 32 =
    PC: 64
    There really isn't that much of a difference between consoles but the PC numbers speak differently.

The advantages of buying the PC version are:
    -sharper graphics.
    -more players per level.
    -patches and mods.

and let's not forget:
    ---"Moreover, IGN felt that Lag times and high ping rates can cause the action to become choppy, objects and players to disappear, and weapons to become ineffective.
    ----For the Playstation 2 version, many have complained about the lack of a patch to resolve most gameplay issues, as well as having a server with large amounts of AI without crashing."

I'm leaning more towards PC but if I buy one then I'll have to makesure it's not one of these:
    In 2006, LucasArts released a "reduced price" PC version of the game that did not come with a physical, paper manual -- the game manual is presented in PDF format on the disk. However, this version still requires a CD-Key from the back page of the not-included paper manual in order to install. The CD-Key is not included in the PDF manual or anywhere in the game packaging for this version of Battlefront II. This particular edition cannot be successfully installed on a PC unless the user first scans and e-mails (or faxes) a receipt and UPC to LucasArts tech support. [8] [9] [10] Tech support will only provide a CD-Key after verifiying a receipt and UPC (a process taking between 24 and 48 hours). As of October 2006, LucasArts has not announced any recall of these defective products.

And the heroes are not as strong on the PC due to:
    "Unless you're playing on PC anyway. It's actually pretty easy to topple Jedi over on that system because with such precise mouse aim comes great power. We found ourselves circle strafing Jedi and pinning them in the head with multiple pistol shots as they flailed about hacking and slashing with little effect."

Damn. Every time I come close to my final decision I see something new that &$@%# it all up!