2 Roadbots : 1/18 Toyota Celica & Land Rover

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Sep 22, 2006.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Was able to score 2 Roadbots tonight in the Vancouver area : the 1/18 blue Toyota Celica (tuner version) from Ages three and up and the 1/18 Toyota Land Cruiser from Real Canadian Superstore. Unfortunately, we lost our camera but give me the time to open them and I will give you guys my first impressions.

1-Both are packaged in bot mode and are fairly heavy. You can test the lights and sounds in package.

2-Starting with the Celica. Robot has back quibble that limits the poseability of the arms and the legs. You can't really spread the legs apart (jut a bit), but they do have knees. Head can turn. Arms themselves has a good range of poseability. Sword (with lights and sounds) is huge. Kick ass weapon. Colors apps (blue, silver, black and red) look fine to me. Head has some rubber to it. Tires are rubber too! Retractable guns on left forearm, and a claw on the left one!

3-Transformation is pretty alternator-esque, but also involves detaching and reattaching some parts (hood/chest, back section, the parts under the doors). Transformation is a cross between Windcharger (shoulders), Sideswipe (arms) and Tracks (legs). Pretty clever. You can store the sword under the car and the handle/soundbox becomes the engine.

4-Car mode is really solid and nicely detailed. Chrome wheels, detailed interior, fairing, turning wheels. Push on the hood and you hear a siren; push on the engine and you hear the weapon sound. Lights are flashing too. Really cool!

5-Land Cruiser is HUGE in robot mode. Reminds me of Energon Ironhide, but REALLY different. I love how you have to form the feet. Hard to explain, but really clever. Sword makes lights and sounds. Rear door becomes shield. Better poseabilty overall (head turns too), arms, legs that can spread and be posed pretty how you want them to. Good joints. Premier faux pas : robot has too right fists!

6-Transformation reminds me of Energon Ironhide too, but with several new twists. Difficulty is between a very good mega and an Alternator. Everything pegs in perfectly.

7-SUV mode is huge. Feels more plastic than the Celica but is very solid. No clear windows on this one, all are painted black. No detailed interior either. All 4 doors can open, rear one and hood too. Trunk has some storage space. No painted/chromed side mirrors. Chromed front grill, wheels, Toyota logo on spare tire (which also activates the sounds and lights).

Overall, I'm happy. I take this as a new line on its own. It's not Alternators, it's not Energon/Cybertron/whatever, it's something new and different. The vehicles look good, the robots are imposing, they have cool weaponry and gimmicks, challenging transformations, decent poseability.

One thing that feels weird : the toy feels semi-floppy when you're in-between modes, but both finished modes are really solid.

Btw, A3U had more Roadbots on display, including the 1/12 Ford GT. That thing is HUGE. 17'' tall in robot mode, you have to see it to believe it! And it looks awesome. Car mode is 16'' long. A very promising (and affordable!) line.

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    :useless 

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    You've seen pictures of all the Roadbots already, so I don't know why you're complaining.

4. racnruin

racnruin Decepticon

Nice review I give it :thumb  :thumb  :thumb  :thumb  :thumb  I liked your coment:"Overall, I'm happy. I take this as a new line on its own. It's not Alternators, it's not Energon/Cybertron/whatever, it's something new and different. The vehicles look good, the robots are imposing, they have cool weaponry and gimmicks, challenging transformations, decent poseability."
    I'm :ev:  got to save for tail end of cybertron, titaniums and classics:banghead: 

5. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    product pictures are no where near as comprehensive as actual owner pictures, they don't show the true qualities and certain shortcomings

i.e. Spencer's 1/12 Ford GT pictures revealed that it doesn't have double jointed elbow, so the arm is always at a permanent 90 degree bend.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'll bite - it's because some of us are still trying to grapple with the size of these guys. Pictures really help, especially ones similar to the pictures posted of the GT roadbot in the "Let's See Some Cool Stuff" thread.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Alright, I'll post a few pictures tonight, we bought a new camera yesterday. :)  I also exhanged my Land Cruiser for a new one (the first one had 2 right fists).

8. tassadar zeratul

tassadar zeratul predatorial humanoid

i have seen them on ebay pretty fucking cool i wonder if they'll make hot rod or rodimus as an alternator??

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    First of all, thanks for the pictures!

Wow, he sure has a lot of back kibbles, they are all plastic right? if so, that's a nice paint job, looks all nice and shiny, is that a scissor on his arm? Also his head reminds me a bit of Gundam, is it a swipe? The arms looks like they are in a weird bend as well, can that be straightened?

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    All plastic yes.

Shiny, yes. :) 

Scissor... sorta! Pretty cool.

Head is all rubber btw, but very firm rubber.

Arms are weird but be straighten, yes.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I really want these, but the scale is just so different.

Has anyone seen the H2 or Landcruiser next to Binalts? Is that workable at all?

13. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    looks awesome :)  I can't wait to get em!!!

14. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow...with spoilers that big, it better fly.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Megatroptimus, thanks for the photos...these guys are big, but boy are they neat!

16. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I just got in samples of the Hummer last week but since the store is going through a location move, most of my things are packed. Next week after we get all settled again, I will have new photots of the Hummer as well.

Spencer