Wal-Mart Will Phase Out Layaway Program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DevilzFan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I know some people use layaway here for toys and such. I used it for the WalMart Marvel Legends line.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060914/dath033.html?.v=65

2. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    that sucks.. guess I'll just be hiding toys more :p 

I like layaway because up here in Canada, we hardly get any thing good for toys. There's only half an aisle for action figures, so if you want a particular brand like Transformers, and want to collect them, its almost impossible to find them. They will order a few cases of each wave, sometimes only one wave, and some times, skip waves completely.

I don't always have a lot of money, so when I go, if I find something awesome that I've been wanting, like Alt Mirage (who would dissapear almost instantly from when put on shelves) I can lay him away, and come pick it up later.

most times, lay away is the only way I'll get toys for retail :( 

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Never used it.

4. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never had the need for it either. If I don't have the money and I must have something, I'll put it on the old credit card.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

never used it either

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I use it maybe 2 or 3 times a year. There have been several times over the years where I only ever saw a figure once at retail and didn't have enough money at the time to pick it up. Walmart's layaway made it possible for me to get them without paying ebay prices later.

I do understand the reasoning behind it, there's no real incentive for them to do it in the first place.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I work with a dude that lives off layaway, he is going to be pissed when I tell him about this tomorrow.

I can hardly wait. :ev: 

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Yup.

9. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    walmarts just giving me another reason to shop at zellers now

they're transformers are just as cheap, zellers stocks more often, and with newer stuff, plus have a larger toy section. they don't have layaway, but neither will walmart now, taking away their only advantage over zellers (transformers wise anyways)

I only shop at the two department stores for toys. dollar store pretty much has everything else, and price choppah for food! oh yeah and randy river for clothes :p 

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have used it EVERY YEAR for 10 years now for Christmas, that way I get all the shopping done at once then pay on it for a few months, this sucks.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Funny I just used today for Primus w/ the Unircon Head. First time that I've layawayed anything since I was 12, and the same day I hear they are phasing it out.

12. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I think this will cause more crime honestly. It's already bad enough at Wal-Mart as is, and then you cut someone off at the knees (especially in a store directed at the poorest of the poor)...you're gonna get massive negativity in return. In the form of more theft.

Here's something else...my girlfriend just quit Wal-Mart (got a massage therapy job) and she told me they have a new policy, company wide....

If anything is stolen and it totals $25.00 or less and you get caught, they won't press charges. It actually costs them more to punish you than to slap you on the hand and send you home. So now, they just slap your hand and move on.

"Price rollbacks, stupid practices, stupid people. That's the Wal-Mart way. I'm one of Mr. Walton's many hillbilly inbred relatives, and you've got my word on it!"

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've never used layaway. Anyone can get a credit card these days, and that allows for instant gratification.

I like instant gratification.

14. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Whoo hoo. Way to get even more people into the credit card debt hole. The only winners here are Walmart and their thugs... I mean debt collectors. Nice social responsibility they have there.

I use lay-by quite often, currently got one going for cybertron 4 voyagers and a leader. No way I could afford them front up, and I'm trying to pay off my CC, not add even more to it, and I have a special until christmas lay-by going, so it really is preferrable to buy toys this way. There's been quite the bulk of my cybertron collection I've bought this way too, as you really can't just save up for these toys either, you have to get them when you see them as you risk someone else buying it from under you, and the store not getting any more in ever.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't say I've ever used layaway either. If I don't have the money at the time to purchase something, I just don't buy it.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I guess you'll all just have to buy what you can afford at the time now, like everyone else in the world.

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I dont blame them. My friend had a VHS copy of scarface on layaway.. I mean how the hell could you not go and pick that up.. VHS man!!

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Thats like that at most retailers. At Target it's $20 or less and most times they won't even stop the person. My old boss when I worked for Target security would stop anyone regardless just so it would scare them out of doing it again.

Most stores don't have to press charges thats up to the DA and they generally won't pursue small cases like that so its more of a waiste of time/effort than money since the stores generally don't have to pay any court costs. The only cost to the stores would be sending a person to court but the head AP person's at Target were on salary anyway.

As for layaway I've never used it. I had a Wal mart credit card for a while but they like to randomly change my minumum due (as well as increasing my limits which could get people in trouble) so I just paid it off and was done with it. If I don't have the funds in my checking account then I just pass it or call my wife and tell her.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It always seemed like a weird concept to me. Most stores offer their own company credit card anyway. Which is a win for the stores.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm kinda pissed. They have helped me out a bunch on ML figures. I did almost an entire line of WM Giant man series and all the 2 packs when they first came out. I probably use it 2-3 times a year.