Hasbro Appoints Stephen Davis To Chief Content Officer

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Nov 16, 2014.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    Make some good changes, dude. The films could really use your guidance.

3. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since Hasbro's input for the films specifically is content suggestions this position makes sense, but my deepest hope is that this person actually knows the fiction and can be its advocate throughout the filmic process. The egregious beer commercial and other such product placement references in the latest film threatened to overtake the story and pulled this viewer right out of the action. Things like that-- if they are going to happen, and by all accounts I'm sure they will-- need to be balanced properly and intuitively with the story. Marky Mark grabbing and beer and all but breaking the 4th wall for the camera as he talks about how much he enjoys a good Bud Light just about turned my stomach. Anyway, I'm muddying the point. Product placement will happen, but please not at the sacrifice of the story. And keep the stories balanced with the better aspects of the fiction while also serving the 'new'.

4. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

They just need to give the helm of the TF movies to someone distinctive and let them do whatever the hell they want. It worked with Guardians of the Galaxy, it worked with Iron Man 3, it worked with Godzilla (conceptually at least)... Hasbro needs to exercise as little control as possible, preferably none.

5. MindChamber

MindChamber Multi-Media-Masta

Naming it "allspark Pictures" already puts it on a shaky ground, storywise for me... heres hope to me being wrong

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well I hope he can deliver.

7. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand this statement. If you're comparing it to Marvel movies, in that case the parent company is in direct control. You really think Shane Black and James Gunn had any sort of autonomy? Not at all. Kevin Feige and Marvel are fully involved in every movies' production.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    They did. His name was Michael Bay.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

If this means the films have someone who says "hey, we need to sell toys of the Decepticons. Let's not make them generic monsters" then I'm all for this.

10. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Agreed. I'll add that Transformers are toys first, and the movie designs need to reflect that. In other words, don't make the toy designers create based on the movie designs, make the movie designers create based on the toy designs. Better yet, have the two teams design together!

Have fun, all!

11. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    and so this news is kind of worthless until we find out who this guy actually is.

12. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Wishing him Good Luck ..

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Yeah, that would be great. The AOE designs were pretty much impossible to replicate in toy form. Although, I don't want it to become like RID15, where all the designs are samey and bulky.

14. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Even if they were to do that method I don't think it'll mean we'll certainly have some of the toys be better representing the designs from the movies. I mean shows like Beast Wars had to sometimes tweek some of the toy designs in order for the animation model to look good and not look like a lifeless toy making it still not as spot on to the original toy. I get what you mean about having both teams worked together and I'd be for that too but I'm not sure if doing toys first is any better then the other around when it comes to the movies.

15. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tbf i thought the first movie designs were impossible to do at the time...then in a couple of years we got ROTF Leader Prime, Battle Blades Bee, Human Alliance Jazz and Leader Starscream. A few more after that we got Leader Ironhide xD

I'm actually surprised AoE leader Optimus has near enough the exact transformation as he does in the film (Arms coming out of the doors, rear of the vehicle ending up on his back, granted it doesn't compact, but it's accurate)

Give it a year or 2 and we will have much better figures, they won't abandon them movie designs until tf5, they never do :p  Wouldn't be surprised if they were doing a Sandstorm level of retooling and remolding to give us Drift using Springers body.

16. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Well no shit. I didn't think Shane Black just picked up a camera and decided to make an Iron Man movie. What I meant was that they were each given a lot of free reign to play around with the movies, do what they liked (Gunn a little more than Shane, since GOTG didn't tie into the Avengers as much). They were allowed to make the movies their own. When you see GOTG, you don't think "Oh, this is a Marvel movie", you think "Oh, this is a James Gunn movie he made for Marvel". The studios have some control over the project, sure - Tony couldn't drink in Iron Man 3, and that was fine - but for the most part they allow the directors to make it distinctive.

Let me rephrase that - they should give the helm to someone GOOD and let them do whatever they want. I'm sorry, but after 1 decent movie followed by three shitty ones, Michael Bay's run out of chances.

17. Kenai

Kenai She-bot

News Credits:
    Best of luck, Stephen!

Light our darkest hour :D 

18. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    What do you mean by that? Just because it's named "Allspark Pictures" it's gonna be on shaky ground? What ludicrous notion!

Lolololololololol :lol 

19. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Sounds like the finallllly heard the fans. The want more story and character control. Sounds to me like they weren't happy with bay rewriting characters for no reason.

I look forward to what comes of this, gotta wonder if the finally realized the popularity in the classics as 3rd parties are making g1 bank right now. This may be why they finally started making combiners again that match g1.

If they capitalize on nostalgia and in movie format we all win. Probably marvels success is what made them shift focus but one can dream:)