IDW's Tranformers Movie Adaptation twice in same week?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Primal, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    So, I'm just scanning the lists for books out next week to get the previews ready and I noticed that IDW has the weekly 1-4 issues starting June 6th but they also have a TP coming out June 6th as well. They both have the same writer and artist (according to Graham Cracker Comics - Midtown also lists both items out next week). What's the point of the individual issues if the trade is coming? I doubt they would have different art for the same material.... by the same artist.... If they are the same, wouldn't the trade cut into the sales of the individual issues?

Here's the solicit for both:

Transformers: Movie Adaptation TP
    Kris Oprisko (w); Alex Milne (a)

Our world. Their war. The long-awaited Transformers movie is upon us, and now you can catch the entire saga in comic book form right here! Picking up directly where the Movie Prequel leaves off, this adaptation of the big-screen blockbuster sees the TRANSFORMERS bring the brutal war to our world, putting all of mankind at risk. Our salvation depends on the burgeoning friendship between a robot from beyond the stars and a young boy whi just might hold the key to ending the war forever. Also includes a photo and character gallery, comic book cover gallery, and more.

Transformers Movie Adaptation #1
    Kris Oprisko (w); Alex Milne (a)

Kicking off a month-long spectacular event to celebrate the July 4 opening of the big-screen TRANSFORMERS movie! The official adaptation of Transformers: The Movie picks up directly where the Movie Prequel leaves off—the TRANSFORMERS’ brutal war has come to Earth and perhaps our only chance for survival may be with the young boy who just might hold the key to ending the war forever. Each issue of the adaptation will offer 32 ad-free pages and include concept art, interviews, and additional never-before-seen material. Subsequent issues of the official adaptation of Transformers: The Movie will be released on a weekly schedule throughout the month of June. Issue 1 features a special wraparound cover by interior artist Alex Milne (The Transformers: Megatron Origin)! Issue 1 will be in stores on June 6.

2. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

News Credits:
    Dark Horse did the same thing with at least the last two Star Wars movies' adaptation comics. (I don't recall about Episode 1.) It's just marketing. They can put the collected book into bookstores more easily than comics, for one; some prefer to read a comicbook than a collected version, and vice versa (I fall into the latter camp); and some will buy both regardless.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

...Huh. When I saw the listing for both in my store's newsletter, I just figured the trade was the Animated Adapation. Go figure.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    It's my understanding that the individual issues will have additional content not in the trade. That makes sense if the trade actually comes out first, although it's backwards of how they usually do it. I sort of assumed the trade would come last though...this is interesting.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know Primal, I was wondering the same thing. I guess you and I do the same thing, too (I look at Graham Cracker and Midtown for the next week listing). Can anyone confirm?

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Maybe there will be 2 different versions of the TPB.

7. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Checked out the IDW boards, seems someone already picked up the Prequel trade (also due out June 6th) and the Movie trade for $17.99US each at Waldenbooks/Borders in Huntsville.

[​IMG]

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

That is the case according to IDW's ads for the movie adaptation.

9. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I got the movie one ordered on Amazon, but if I can get it nowish, IE, before Tuesday I'm all over that.