alternators mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by KA, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Very late to the party on this one, but glad to be here.

Super sweet alt mode. Perfect color for me. Damn, I want to see more of these on the roads. Actually, I'd love to even see one in person.

Bot mode is pretty cool too. Love the head sculpt. Shoulders are uber-hawt. Guns are cool, if a little small. Legs are interesting and different from the other alts, so that's good. The hood is the slight problem with it not hooking in very well and thus being kinda floppy if left loose.

On my particular Mirage, there was some odd glue or something that was applied on the lower triangular tabs that you flip in under the lower chest. Not the ones that supposedly hook into the hood, but the ones underneath that. I flipped one without a problem, but it was tight. The other one broke where it's supposed to swivel. So the black plastic that holds the metal peg broke off on the lower part. It still can hold in the piece without a problem and is passable so as to not really affect the look of the bot mode, but I hate broken things. That's why I always use the instructions so as to not break things. I don't know what the substance was that was on both of those tabs to make the transformation there so tight.

But other than that I love him. I don't know where to put him, but something's making space for him. This could also be my second Alt that I have a duplicate of (the first being my BT and Alt Tracks) since I love both modes so much. Now to get another Meister/Jazz so I can get the Reprolabels set...

2. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I'll still take the Meister/Shockwave mold as the best, but this one is pretty good. Fix the chest and some floppy limbs, and we're talking A+ material.

3. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Well finally got this bad boy today but he was missing 3 tires!!! :cry 

Aside from this really annoying QC issue, he's my favorite mold. It's a frigging Ford GT for goodness sake! How can you NOT like the car mode?

Even if you don't like the car mode, the bot mode will make up for it as I believe he is the most articulated Alt to date. He has waist, knees, shoulders, bicep, wrists, ankles, neck.

I like the dual pistols too. That's a cool concept! They're a bit small but still awesome.

The only thing I don't like (besides the missing tires) is that the back and shoulders feels too "junky".

It's definitely worth buying. Just make sure to inspect before you buy!

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    missing head, now missing tires? wtf? o_O 

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I got mine. The bot hood flaps work fine, as does the back kibble! Maybe in another couple of years the engineers can FINALLY do a correct F1 car that transform into a great looking robot...

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I got one today!

Vehicle Mode

Love the vehicle mode, as expected, a realistic depiction on a Ford GT, right down to the gear shift and console, the only "problems" I have with the alt mode are that when you open the rear hatch the "proper" way it's rather loose and floppy, and the strut over the engine is light blue, they should have painted it silver, it would have looked better, but other than that, beautiful car, and it holds together very well. It's molded in blue plastic with tiny sparkley flakes in it. This causes a little bit of "swirling" but not so bad as to hurt the over all look of the car, he has chrome rims, withe racing stripes and a big 'ol ford emblem on the front of the hood, I also love the silver Autobot symbol stamped onto the hood, as it's almost unnoticeable in car mode.

Vehicle Mode - 9/10

Transformation

I really like the way this guy transforms, it's intricate without being overly complicated. The legs have a lot of little twists and turns, and pieces that are on jointed posts, the rear hatch wants to flop all over the place, but I folded it up under the roof of the car and it stays put.

Basically, the front fenders separate from the hood, the arms fold down from them (leaving pieces of the front bumpers on his elbows - which I find really cool for some reason). The fenders then become his shoulders, with the doors still attached to the back of them, though they do fold downward a bit. Some of the undercarriage folds under the car, then the hood comes around over the chest, there is that little piece that can be flipped around to reveal robotic looking details on the end of the hood, but I left it facing forward on mine.

The steering wheel folds under the dashboard, then the seats fold forward, and like I said earlier, I folded the rear hatch up under the roof of the car.

The back end of the car becomes the legs, first, I removed the engine, then two panels flip open from underneath and the rear bumpers fold out of the way. Then each side of the back of the car flips around revealing the upper legs. After this you turn the hips around so that the blue "crotch" area is facing forward., then turn the legs so the tires are on the front, the bumpers are able to rotate around by being on multi-jointed posts to hang down in front of his knees. Finally the feet fold down, twist around and have a small part that flips out from under them to provide stability. You also close the panels that were on the undercarriage of the car back up, and now they are on the insides of the legs. Finally, the engine splits apart into two pistols, the one with the silver engine detailing on top has the top piece rotate around to make a longer pistol, the other piece looks like a very short hand gun.

Transformation: 9/10

Robot Mode:

It's funny, in robot mode he looks nothing like G1 Mirage to me, not even the head, it's not a big deal though, as many of the later Alts look nothing like their G1 namesakes. He does remind me a lot of CR Speedbreaker/RID Sideburn. Though it's probably because he shares the same basic color scheme.

The head sculpt looks really nice though, and he seems to be proportioned pretty good, and is probably one of the most articulated alternators to date. I do think the bumpers hanging in front of the knees looks kind of funny, and I wish there was some other way of placing them, but it's about the only place they can go.

Overall, he doesn't look too bulky or too skinny, his lower legs have a slightly odd look to them due to the way he transforms, and he has a bit of a back-pack, but none of his "kibble" gets in the way of his articulation.

He has ball jointed ankles, bends at the knees, rotation just above the knees, full side to side forward and back hip movement, hip swivel, the same hand articulation as the rest of the alts, elbow bends, bicep swivel, shoulder rotation, and outward rotation at the shoulder (though this is accomplished by moving the fenders, which are his shoulders at the joint where they attach to the main body) and his head is on a ball joint, but it has limited up/down movement.

The knees on mine are slightly loose, but not nearly as bad as Alt Optimus's knees were, and he his still able to stand without falling backward.

Very nice robots mode, great colors, great articulation, and over all very "cool" looking.

Robot Mode - 9/10

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I just got Mirage today as well, and the exact same thing happened! Only on mine, it was on both sides. It made me so mad I had to leave the toy sitting and go do something else for a few hours before I could even touch it again. Now though, I really like him. Also, for anyone that the break may happen to, it's not too big of a deal. It doesn't effect anything.

8. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    My Mirage is awesome. Love himto death. Best Alt since Tracks.

9. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

Wait, the chest is suppose to lock into something? did I miss that on the instructions?I just have the black chest peices folded partly and the the lower black swivel piece extend into the chest part- with the blue cover folded up...kinda like Prime's chest...loose, but looks okay...

btw, he looks sweet as hell...have him next to Grimlock (who I think looks like the G1 Grimmy...) cool...

10. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    I hate his chest cover. The idea of making those two black panels hold it in place is stupid. I STILL haven't been able to get it "locked" in place...and I took it out of the package last night!

And loose leg and knee joints don't make for fun posing times...

He always seems like he either stands looking like he's leaning forward, or he stands looking like he's leaning back. He can never just stand straight up, unless you contort his body and legs in a funny way.

If only he held together as tight and snug in bot mode as he does in car mode.

Other than that, he's badass. Easily the best Alt, imo. I am thinking of just putting him back to alt mode, since he looks best in that mode.

11. Cradok

Cradok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, broke my Mirage too. Looks like the seats were glued into position, and I guess they were a little sloppy with the glue gun... Damn annoying, I never break stuff.

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Okay, skipped pages 7 and 8, cause, well, I can't contain it anymore.

I just got this guy. I'm in love.

The objective descriptions are all done... been said many times.

The trunk (or boot, if you prefer) on mine is a little loose on the hinges, and the hood (bonnet, you silly Europeans) is just slightly less loose. The arms and legs are fine.

I love this guy - even the kibble looks appropriate, but as someone said before, the knee kibble isn't QUITE as well-handled as Grimlock's. The transformation is about as involved as Grimlock's... minus the pieces that tend to fall off. Alt mod locks in SOLID. I had trouble getting the doors, trunk and hood open... a little force (not too much, of course) got em open though.

Any gripes I have about this guy are very, very minor. He's not 100% perfect... but I'll give him a 98/100. That's an A+. First A+ I ever gave out.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Boy, I'm glad you weren't one of the graders on some of my college papers, Renidragon. First A+? Harsh, man, just plain harsh. ;-)

My complaints with Mirage are on his racing stripes on the top of the cabin. They "scratch" off easily and care needs to be made when Transforming and "playing" with the figure. The same can be said for his Ford logo on his bonnet (hood). Overall, after having him for a while now, I'm still impressed with the figure and I have a hard time transforming such a beautiful car mode. A vehicle mode this damn hot would be more fitting for the vane and narcissistic Tracks, who prefers his vehicle mode over robot form.

14. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

I just got mine...really nice figure, easily in the upper echelon of nice alts, with the Mustang, Mazda, etc.

Mine has all its parts, but has some issues with the lower panels on the "love handle" area.

Generally pretty tight, feels great in car mode. Swirly plastic, but not terrible. Stands up fine.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

After the long wait since last Botcon, I finally have Mirage in my hands. And he's pretty damn cool. The vehicle looks great, nicely detailed and realistic. Exactly what you come to expect from this line. Also a great car choice. Sparkly blue plastic like on Tracks so he isn't dull like Smokescreen. Robot mode looks great as well. Very nice articulation and the two pistols are pretty cool (even if one is pretty dinky). The hips are a little loose on mine but he still stands fine. The thing that bugs me about him is that the hood on his chest doesn't really lock into place, it just sits there. It can be a floppy and annoying at times. Also the back of the car doesn't lock together either, it just folds up but can come apart when picking up the toy from the back. Other than these minor gripes he's fantastic.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    FINALLY found this elusive bastard this afternoon.

Overall it's a nice figure. The GT vehicle mode is absolutely spectacular...the gorgeouns, deep blue with the attractive white stripe is one of the best car molds and color schemes the Alt. line has to offer.

The robot mode is good, not nearly as great as I expected though. articulation is decent (like the other alternators it seems articulation was planned pretty well but executed poorly. The joints on mine are a little loose, but it still stands and poses alright. The transformation was interesting, and not too hard. I like the head sculpt, even though it doesn't scream 'Mirage'. The guns...or pea shooters as I should say...are VERY weak and pointless.

Once again, overall it's a decent transformer, and worth the price for the beautiful car mode alone. Maybe I'm just used to the Rid Car Brothers, and great deluxes from the Cybertron line but I was a little disappointed in the robot mode. Great display piece but not very fun to fiddle with, just like the rest of the Alternators.

B

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Mine broke half way though transformation. The tabs on the pin joint for the body flaps that give him his shapely waist broke on the bottom next to his hips. It looks like the two pieces of plastic were hot welded together. Hell, I've not even finished TFing him, I just wanted to get that out there that it might break on you.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Mine just arrived today - wahoo! I've not opened him up yet, but he looks great in his vehicle mode sitting in his box on my desk. Will watch out for all these tough spots!

19. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I tend to give out Bs and As fairly often to figures that, for one reason or another, really strike me as well-done. Of course, not everyone will agree with me, which is fine, everyone has their own tastes. But I gave both C. Hot Shot and C. Crosswise A's... they just had one or two flaws that knocked them down from perfect, or just shy of it.

I really felt like Mirage is the first transformer I've bought that's hit every nail square on the head, save one or two, which it hit, but not perfectly.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I don't like him anywhere near as much as you guys. Yet another Alternator that has to stay in Robots mode. :( 

Prowl still wins for playability.