Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Custom Dinobots [WiP]

Reply Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Vehicon
Custom Dinobots [WiP]

I've always been (as I assume most of you have) fairly disappointed with dinobot toys we've been given throughout the years, so I thought I'd try to make my own. Having never done any bashing before, this would also be a major learning experience.

So far I just have a nearing-completion Grimlock and a still very WiP Sludge. Overall I think they're going pretty well. I know Sludge has always been an Apatosaur/Brontosaur, but I like Brachiosaurs, so that's what he's gonna be. And Predaking's body with Lazerback's forearms give him a nice front-legs-longer-than-back-legs thing going on.

Also, I see some of the other custom Dinos have Sludge as being biggest, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that made sense.

I've not even really thought about how I'm going to approach the other ones. Although I'm starting to look at turning a movie Breakaway into a Swoop because I really like the way his nosecone and wings end up in robot mode and the positions of his feet in alt mode seems like a good starting place for pterodactyl feet. Also, Breakaway's not real heavy in terms of movie-aesthetic, but we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Dinobots [WiP]-100_1046.jpg   Custom Dinobots [WiP]-100_1047.jpg   Custom Dinobots [WiP]-100_1048.jpg  

Last edited by justdd; 04-22-2013 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: more details
justdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Original Gestalt
Looking good. Keep at it.
Looking for universe countdown !
Destructicon 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: A ridiculous amount
Brilliant!
Stormvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Mad Scientist
The Diggs's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Continually in flux...
These are some incredibly innovative choices....I kept squinting at Grimlock trying to figure out what went into it...then I realized it was a BACKWARDS LAZERBACK. Way to think outside the box!! Will be actively awaiting updates!
The Diggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Vehicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructicon 1 View Post
Looking good. Keep at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormvapor View Post
Brilliant!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diggs View Post
These are some incredibly innovative choices....I kept squinting at Grimlock trying to figure out what went into it...then I realized it was a BACKWARDS LAZERBACK. Way to think outside the box!! Will be actively awaiting updates!
Yep! It's just Lazerback and Megatron. Megatron's missile actually became the flamethrower bit inside Grimlock's mouth.

I really love Lazerback's arms and they let me keep the Grimlock standard dino legs into robot hands thing. I ended up having to buy another Lazerback (luckily they are EVERYWHERE) and realized his arms would work great on Predaking to give him nicer arms (instead of Predaking's claws) and add some height to the front of his Brachiosaur mode.
justdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Terrorcon
Collection Count: 60+
Really Amazing!Q
FeedBack

Anti-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Destroyer of Threads
Collection Count: many
that.
looks.
bada$$.
keep it up and i'll give you a cookie.
nikinaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
Dutchman!
News Credits: 15
Send a message via AIM to Ra88 Send a message via MSN to Ra88
These are some great ideas and concepts. Can't wait to see what else you will do.

EDIT: If you want to do a Snarl, how about doing a backwards voyager Predaking? Then you have that slope that Stegosaurus builds have, and it'd allow you to try and come up with a tail that splits up and still manages to end up on his back.
Ra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Vehicon
Interesting! Has a TFP feel for sure. Grimlock blew me away once I realized who was used.
warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Herald of Unicron
News Credits: 1
good work on gimlock! I had said somewhere previously that the BH dragons would make good bases to make dinos off of and people blasted me for it.. Glad to see I wasn't wrong!
Demonss is offline   Reply With Quote