Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Art Feather Bumblebee mods

Reply Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
Herald of Unicron
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitron View Post
This looks fantastic! (Funnily enough, I was wondering only the other day when you'd be posting the mods you mentioned you were thinking of making a while back in the AF BB thread.)

Would you be at all willing to post a couple of extra detail shots of the new hinge you've made, and how it's attached? I'd love to have a go at that backpack mod myself, as I ended up with two of these. Either way, looks great!
Thanks! Sorry I only have the one pic, but there's not much to it really. As you can probably see it's just roughly cut styrene strips, with holes where styrene rods hold it together. A hole in the central spine at one end and some glue fixing it to the underside of the head at the other. Works surprisingly tight, so I didn't even need anything to secure the chest in place (thought I would need a rod across the shoulders for my pylon c-clips to attach to in bot mode, but no).

Styrene is great for experimenting with like that; I drilled all the holes by hand twisting a drillbit between my fingers, it's so soft the bit goes in almost straight away. Get a lot more precision that way too.
Attached Thumbnails
Art Feather Bumblebee mods-bbwip4.jpg  
OptimusTimelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Combaticon
News Credits: 1
Thanks for the reply! So it's just glue holding it to the base if the head? Out of interest, what sort of glue did you use? (I've tried all sorts with mixed results. I see a lot of people recommend epoxy two-part glue, but that never works well for me, and Humbrol model glue works better but can melt the plastic too much and depends on the plastic. It works great for gluing styrene together, but not always for gluing styrene to something else.)

I take it the parts of the hinge are each three layers of styrene with a single layer for the joins?

How did you do the actual swivel between the two pieces of spine once you'd sawn the spine in two? Is it a pin or a screw, and what is it holding? I took a look at the spine of mine, and at the point you have cut it, I can't see anywhere to put a screw or rod through - all I can see is a slot. I just can't see any way of putting it back together once it's cut...

Sorry for all the questions! I just really like this and am desperate to have a go at copying it.
ambitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Herald of Unicron
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitron View Post
Thanks for the reply! So it's just glue holding it to the base if the head? Out of interest, what sort of glue did you use? (I've tried all sorts with mixed results. I see a lot of people recommend epoxy two-part glue, but that never works well for me, and Humbrol model glue works better but can melt the plastic too much and depends on the plastic. It works great for gluing styrene together, but not always for gluing styrene to something else.)

I take it the parts of the hinge are each three layers of styrene with a single layer for the joins?

How did you do the actual swivel between the two pieces of spine once you'd sawn the spine in two? Is it a pin or a screw, and what is it holding? I took a look at the spine of mine, and at the point you have cut it, I can't see anywhere to put a screw or rod through - all I can see is a slot. I just can't see any way of putting it back together once it's cut...

Sorry for all the questions! I just really like this and am desperate to have a go at copying it.
I have several different glues at hand, I never seem to be able to predict which will do a particular job! For this occasion it was Hobbycraft own-brand 'Super strong glue', a liquid with a brush in the lid, I guess a bit kinder to styrene because of being meant for arts & crafts. The hinge starts as one layer of styrene (the right thickness fits perfectly between the hollow sides of the yellow frame). Then two identical parts clamping either side for the next section, then a single layer between at the other end, which I built up with more strene to give extra grip area for the base of the head.

For the spine I ended up using two plastic washers from the axel of a car kit and gluing one each above and below the join, and found a metal pin in my parts box with a head at one end (don't ask where it was from, I've no idea! Must have come from some junker). Glued the flat end into one of the washers with the head threaded through the other, thus 'permanently' attaching the spine.
OptimusTimelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #24
Mini-Con
I love it
tibhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #25
working working working
bellyboy's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 800+
Send a message via Skype™ to bellyboy
I love it
genius
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/junkio...-bellyboy.html

Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
bellyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Combaticon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusTimelord View Post
For the spine I ended up using two plastic washers from the axel of a car kit and gluing one each above and below the join, and found a metal pin in my parts box with a head at one end (don't ask where it was from, I've no idea! Must have come from some junker). Glued the flat end into one of the washers with the head threaded through the other, thus 'permanently' attaching the spine.
Thanks for all the information! Very much appreciated. I'm definitely going to have a crack at this. The hard parts are definitely going to be the swivel and getting the right glue to take, so fingers crossed...

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
TWINTURBO's badass :)
Collection Count: Not enough.
Send a message via Skype™ to mandiprime97
Looks great
mandiprime97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #28
Dutchman!
News Credits: 15
Send a message via AIM to Ra88 Send a message via MSN to Ra88
100% improvement. Great job!
Ra88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #29
Exclu-DEAD
ohhhh i want this i want this i want this!!!!!!

PLEASE make a goldbug!?!?!?!?
Want/Need: MP09 Rodimus Trailer MP Ratbat
Feedback
stprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Combaticon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stprime View Post
PLEASE make a goldbug!?!?!?!?
<slightly_off_topic>

I think the mould works well for goldbug without altering the backpack, seeing as Goldbug always had a protruding backpack behind his head anyway - xaviercal did a great job at turning this mould into Goldbug here:

MP Goldbug

</slightly_off_topic>