Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

FOC Onslaught Upgrade Kit (Shapeways)

Reply Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Mr. Combaticon
Onslaught24's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,999
Location: Floriderp
Collection Count: managed to pass 200. but who cares? I have FP Colossus!
News Credits: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Onslaught24
that hinge thing looks like a decent filler for his alt mode


Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot Burnout View Post
No, no, no, now you're getting off track again. You can NOT put the toy's foot into its mouth. That was not in the concept art.
Onslaught24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
What's in a name?
9.8m/s^2's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,405
Location: Urban Sprawl, IN
Collection Count: Stopped counting at 500
Looks awesome! The barrel on the Hinge Blaster seems quite thin, though, especially between the ribs on the barrel. The Shapeways sturdy plastic has been good to me so far, but I'm worried about this one because it's going to be stressed rotationally as well as longitudinally. Guess I'll find out when I order mine!
9.8m/s^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Autobot
Rexidus's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,521
News Credits: 1
Oh man, I have been wanting an upgrade kit for Onslaught since the day I got him. Unfortunately this doesn't scratch my need. I think you've made some really cool weapons for him and their effect in vehicle mode is definitely a plus.

But I have a few issues with Onslaught that I need an upgrade kit to fix for me to consider it. First off it has to do something about his arms. His arms suck right now. If some new upper arms could be made, perhaps using the combiner plugs, then I would be very interested. That crotch plate also is an issue, but I'm not sure specifically how to fix it. His gun needs a way to store on his back in robot mode. Resting it there isn't a good solution. And my final issue is the only bullet point your kit addresses. His vehicle mode needs something to fill out the back end of it.

I don't mean to sound negative so I apologize if I am coming off that way. These guns you've made look really cool and they store in vehicle mode rather nicely. But a couple cool guns doesn't fix the issues I have with the figure.
Burnout V4 - Free papercraft energon cubes made by me

Plan D Avalon- playing games and being dumb - Ode to my sister-in-law
Rexidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #14
Or just 'A1' for short...
Treadshot A1's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,466
Location: Australia
Collection Count: 1000+
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoptimusprime View Post
This works so well. Just wish i had onslaught to get it for.
Thanks wwoptimusprime. Onslaught's a cool figure, worth it for Bruticus. Now if only I had the money for all five! (I only have Brawl and Onslaught so far... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molina00 View Post
Me like! As if I didn't have enough stuff on my shapeways want list already. Great looking pieces there.
Thanks Molina00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG hailstorm View Post
I like these! the backpack further back really makes onslaughts alt mode much better
Gotta say I agree with you SG Hailstorm. The new position of the Hinge Blaster really grabs attention. I just find most of my figures who stare at it too long have a habit of needing a medic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHavok View Post
Wow man it's been really cool to see your skill develop over time
This might be my first purchase from your store
Job well done
First time for everything! Thanks for the kind words MegaHavok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixliger View Post
great work i like the engineering you put into this
Thanks, glad to hear it phoenixliger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrongerlupus View Post
Very nicely done, this is a very cleverly designed kit!

The parts are all very aesthetically pleasing too.

Great job!
Always appreciate it D/L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetor71 View Post
Nice add-on. I like it.
Thank you cheetor71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymiru View Post
Looks GREAT!!! Also looks like the Shapeways site is not loading right at the moment though. But great job.
Hmm...the link works for me. I've not seen any server issues with Shapeways recently. Weird.

Thanks for the kind words though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockoff View Post
whoa.... you are incredible!
As if that wasn't already well-established...



Thanks knockoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught24 View Post
that hinge thing looks like a decent filler for his alt mode
Decent?

DECENT???

Good to know at least it improves the vehicle mode somewhat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.8m/s^2 View Post
Looks awesome! The barrel on the Hinge Blaster seems quite thin, though, especially between the ribs on the barrel. The Shapeways sturdy plastic has been good to me so far, but I'm worried about this one because it's going to be stressed rotationally as well as longitudinally. Guess I'll find out when I order mine!
Good point 9.8m/s^2. I did check that part on my sample when I got it. Can't say I wasn't at least slightly concerned the first time I twisted it, but after only a few uses the grip loosened enough, and now I can rotate the gun with little worry at all.

The ends of the gun are also cut (the rear end is a 3mm clip, the gun barrel's actually got part of the barrel bored into the design). That leaves the plastic room to move, which further lessens the stress on the gun in my experience.

Knowing that, I have no concerns with my WSF print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoku View Post
Oh man, I have been wanting an upgrade kit for Onslaught since the day I got him. Unfortunately this doesn't scratch my need. I think you've made some really cool weapons for him and their effect in vehicle mode is definitely a plus.

But I have a few issues with Onslaught that I need an upgrade kit to fix for me to consider it. First off it has to do something about his arms. His arms suck right now. If some new upper arms could be made, perhaps using the combiner plugs, then I would be very interested. That crotch plate also is an issue, but I'm not sure specifically how to fix it. His gun needs a way to store on his back in robot mode. Resting it there isn't a good solution. And my final issue is the only bullet point your kit addresses. His vehicle mode needs something to fill out the back end of it.

I don't mean to sound negative so I apologize if I am coming off that way. These guns you've made look really cool and they store in vehicle mode rather nicely. But a couple cool guns doesn't fix the issues I have with the figure.
No problem Ryoku. Can't say I'm amazed with the Onslaught figure either. It's a neat figure, but I have to agree some of the design choices are just downright horrible. Though I give some allowance for Bruticus' needs, I agree the arms are a bit awkward.

That said, I think my kit fixes most of the issues with the figure. Filling out the back of the vehicle mode was definitely a priority (without it, this may as well be FOC Kup, not Onslaught), but the kit also addresses the need for Onslaught to have two cannons in robot mode pointing up. While the shoulder-mounted Cannons obviously take some artistic license to the concept of "cannons aiming upwards", it at least gives Onslaught the cannon-dominated silhouette he deserves.

As for the arms, good luck with finding a replacement for those and let me know when you do. This kit was made to be completely modification free (no mods, not even reversible ones were allowed) and as such I left the arms out of the firing line.

That said, thanks for the input Ryoku.

^^Click to go to the A1 Kitbashing Shapeways Shop^^
Latest Release: 02-ASV "Recon" || A1 Kitbashing Facebook || TFW Thread
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Mr. Combaticon
Onslaught24's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,999
Location: Floriderp
Collection Count: managed to pass 200. but who cares? I have FP Colossus!
News Credits: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Onslaught24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadshot A1 View Post
Decent?

DECENT???

Good to know at least it improves the vehicle mode somewhat!
it doesn't make it 100% game accurate but it definitely improves the alt mode


Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot Burnout View Post
No, no, no, now you're getting off track again. You can NOT put the toy's foot into its mouth. That was not in the concept art.
Onslaught24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
Or just 'A1' for short...
Treadshot A1's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,466
Location: Australia
Collection Count: 1000+
Thanks for the feedback everyone! The FOC Onslught Upgrade Kit has received an update, with a new Hinge Blaster!

Update 24/03/13: Hinge Blaster v1.5





Changes:
  • New Hinge Blaster barrel design
  • Increased diameter for increased strength


Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this kit!

The Hinge Blaster has been redesigned and features a new barrel, to allow it to function better as a hinge in Onslaught's vehicle mode.

^^Click to go to the A1 Kitbashing Shapeways Shop^^
Latest Release: 02-ASV "Recon" || A1 Kitbashing Facebook || TFW Thread
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Predacon
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 439
Big fan of your work dude, got the Breacher cannons and swords myself, gave the cannons to GDO Brawl and Breacher got the swords, very awesome
Hellscream85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Or just 'A1' for short...
Treadshot A1's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,466
Location: Australia
Collection Count: 1000+
Update 02-05-13: FOC Onslaught Upgrade Kit

I have released the newest version of the Hinge Blaster separately on Shapeways. For those who have the original kit, the new blaster is optional. The new design was made to be more durable, but the original model is still more than durable enough to function as intended.

As has been the case since the 24th of May, all FOC Onslaught Upgrade Kits are currently produced with the new Hinge Blaster design.



The new Hinge Blaster is available separately here:




Thanks for the continued support with this kit everyone!

^^Click to go to the A1 Kitbashing Shapeways Shop^^
Latest Release: 02-ASV "Recon" || A1 Kitbashing Facebook || TFW Thread
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Terrorcon
Spyne98's Avatar
Spyne98's Ebay Auctions
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,627
Location: New York
Collection Count: More than I can count
News Credits: 1
Very clever! I might be picking this up!
FEEDBACK THREAD
Sale Thread
Want List
Spyne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Big Bad Toy Store