Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)

Reply Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Dinobot
News Credits: 1
Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)

Here's a couple of things that I did with minimal effort to unlock the true majesty of Thundertron, making him the most raddest of robo-lion type pirate guys ever. First up is the pretty simple way that I freed his sword from a hellish clumsy existence. The second is pretty nifty and probably the greatest discovery in Transformers history.

Immediately out of the box, I attacked that Mechtech with all the rage that it deserves. I accidentally overdid the gear trimming that GogDog suggested, making it too wobbly, so I turned to one of the straws I had laying around(The kind that Jin mentioned previously). Rather that cut off the handle shaped bit entirely, I trimmed it down to fit inside of a bit of straw so it would be really stable once I glued it in there. Straw thickness varies, so I sanded it down until it was 5mm. I lucked out by having translucent blue. I may add another peg to the side of the hilt so the sword can be holstered to the 5mm sockets on his hips.

Next up is Thundertron's new Arms Micron: THUNDERBEAK. Thundertron is a pirate. Peg leg, beard, coattails, captain's hat for a forehead and now a badass sword. What would make him even MORE piratey? That's right! A ROBOT PARROT, suckas!

His name is Thunderbeak, or whatever the hell you want to name him. Fair warning Paw-ly (Paw + Polly) may seem like a good pun, but that will only really work in text, silly.

Okay, so all I did was take 10 seconds to paint some eyes on his foot, but man that dude looks surprisingly parrot-like for something convenient enough to be included with Mr. Pirate-bot. It's at the very least just as convincing as some of the genuine Arms Microns' beast modes and I didn't have to import or assemble a thing. That's called beating the system, my friends. And it feels so very good.

And the BEST PART? The translucent bit of Mechtech in the junk leftover from extracting the sword still has it's 5mm post. And because fate itself got involved here(which I appreciate since Thunderbeak has no feet) the gold claw/tail feather portion of this guy fits all snug and perfectly into the piece so Thundertron has a little crow's nest to hold his new Bestest Friend Ever in both robot and lion modes.

So...there you go. A bit more fun I had with Thundertron and 15 minutes of work that mostly uses only what you get in the box. There are 5mm points to be exploited and possibly ball jointed wings to be added. Heck, just using some more of the leftover Mechtech trash, I gave Thunderbeak a goofy Assault Mode of Ultimate Slashing. I'd like to do more and I hope to see someone make my dumb idea even better. Because I'm lazy and obviously a cheapskate. Enjoy your stupid foot bird! And make sure to say "AARRrr!" a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)-e0fabbe0-c955-4843-a09b-9beeedd5afe7-11957-00000c5946819aff.jpg   Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)-0747b574-6f56-4a6d-82ac-f4c30ba76bbf-11874-00000c500860af4b.jpg   Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)-957cc83e-d039-4b83-8731-9f9bc2a5deed-11874-00000c4fccb1672a.jpg   Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)-08f8476b-3a48-47f5-bb07-aabb0d10ab92-11874-00000c4fef5d66e2.jpg   Thundertron: Micron THUNDERBEAK!! (and sword mod)-82c8bb3e-e01e-4b24-b6a0-e9749aa9eb9e-11957-00000c5932f81071.jpg  

FakeEyes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
May hope burn bright.

it works! did you do any modding for featherbolt's perch?

My Fanart My flickr My Junk needs
Ellamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Dinobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellamin View Post

it works! did you do any modding for featherbolt's perch?
Nope! I mean, I could do some trimming to clean it up more, but what you see is the piece straight off of the disassembled Mechtech.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Chaos Bringer 9
Unicron9's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: A couple of hundred
Heeeeeey... You know, with just a little mod and paint work, that could become a really NICE little "Pawly wanna cracker" parrot for this pirate. Mind if I jump all over that?
I'm thinking by sanding the peg to a beak shape, maybe even using some sculpt, then adding something that would pass for little feet or legs, it would really be a parrot. Also a pointed curved beak would make a much better back claw for the lion foot.
Nice creative discovery there.
Unicron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Doesn't have Quantron.
TJ Duckett's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: I don't know. Leave me alone.
News Credits: 7
Great job David. Extremely creative.
TJ Duckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Dinobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron9 View Post
Heeeeeey... You know, with just a little mod and paint work, that could become a really NICE little "Pawly wanna cracker" parrot for this pirate. Mind if I jump all over that?
I'm thinking by sanding the peg to a beak shape, maybe even using some sculpt, then adding something that would pass for little feet or legs, it would really be a parrot. Also a pointed curved beak would make a much better back claw for the lion foot.
Nice creative discovery there.
Go for it! I'm considering buying a second to get more elaborate with and paint Thundertron himself a bit.

I agree about a curved beak and if you look at the non-removable foot and imagine the gold portion of the heel cut off, the remaining blue bit on the hinge is a perfect shape. And the exposed hinge pin already gives it eyes. Maybe a heel transplant? Not sure. That extra gold bit helps him stand with the peg leg.

I stuck with the peg beak for now so the claw mode still works. I'd love to see what you come up with. Might inspire me if and when I do more to this.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
MUTO eggs, $1200 a dozen!
Location: Hong Kong, looking for my goddamn shoe! You seen it?
Collection Count: 1,954 preserved kaiju organs. Please, buy some. They're stinking up the place.
News Credits: 27
This is by far the greatest mod I have seen here in a very long time.

Well done Sir, well done.

netkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
AKA Chr0nus
Collection Count: Transformers merch: ~560
News Credits: 9
Send a message via Skype™ to rattraprules98
Noted to the ever-extensive list of things to do to Thundertron when I find one.
Steam Profile (Make sure you send me a message here if you add me, or I won't accept.)
rattraprules98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Constructicon
Collection Count: 40ish
............. Wow good eye.
HaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Maximal
Luscanun's Ebay Auctions

Well done! Very creative and original. I'll have to do this!
Luscanun is offline   Reply With Quote