Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime

Reply Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Protectobot
Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime

Started this one, probably nearly a year ago, but put in on the back burner while I worked on the MP Prowl Trio...among other things. Finally finished him up a few weeks ago.

I wanted a decent G1 style Prime for my Deluxe Prime vs Megatron shelf, so I pulled this guy out from being shoved in the back, hidden from view, and started working to see what I could do. I had some basic ideas: Get the cab section to not look like mess in truck mode, replace the head, ball jointed ankles, and of course a new paint job.

I took a few WIP pics, so I'll start with them:

First thing I worked on was having the wheel wells collapse in further in truck mode. So I chopped into the waist sections, and eventually cut some guide slots for the well to slide in on.

Then I cut down the wheel well section some too.

Using the original swing pin as a slider, the sides can now slide in to be flush with the arms.

Now the grill needed to slide out to meet the front of the truck. I gutted the "punching" gimmick and added a polycap inside, and a rod attached to the grill. The grill can now slide forward.

After that, moving on to the arms. I built up the lower arms with some styrene, lengthening and widening them. I also added the cut out triangle and rectangle details to the top. New fists were added as well, from a junker Sideswipe.

Not shown, but I also built sliding blocks to collapse the lower legs, gave him ball jointed ankles from Hobby Base's Roll Swing Joints, rebuilt the front bumper, and built new headlight panels. The new headlight panels simply sit attached to the bumper on his back in robot mode...not the most elegant, but I think it looks fine.

The new head is the extra one from Maketoys Battle Tanker, modified to look a bit more G1 like, and with a ball joint added.

Painted with MM Dark Blue, Silver, and a custom deep, bright red.

Attached Thumbnails
Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05848.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04771.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04772.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04773.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04774.jpg  

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04776.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04775.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04777.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc04779.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05869.jpg  

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05867.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05868.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05870.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05871.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05872.jpg  

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05874.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05873.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05875.jpg  
Jarrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Protectobot
And robot mode:

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05851.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05852.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05853.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05846.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05848.jpg  

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05849.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05850.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05854.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05855.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05856.jpg  

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05857.jpg   Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime-dsc05859.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
TFW2005 Supporter
News Credits: 1
I never have never imagined that the Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime could look so AWESOME!!!

You did phenomenal work!!!
changepas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
pink stars are falling
Wow, now he looks cool. All he needs now are blue windows and he's perfect
I don't care if your world is ending today, cos I wasn't invited to it anyway.

visit me: murasame-music // soundcloud // youtube // last.fm // sysprofile
Murasame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
ThyVipera
thyvipera's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: not many, they're all in pieces
Quote:
Originally Posted by changepas39 View Post
I never have never imagined that the Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime could look so AWESOME!!!

This!!

You continue to amaze man! great work
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
thyvipera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Protectobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by changepas39 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyvipera View Post
This!!

You continue to amaze man! great work
Thanks guys, still amazed out how totally different he looks myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasame View Post
Wow, now he looks cool. All he needs now are blue windows and he's perfect
Yeah, to be fair, they actually are blue! Just not as blue as they could have been.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Quintesson
Collection Count: Two and a half 6 foot shelves full and growing
Youve taken wet poop and molded it to a gold brick. WHAT SORCERY IS THIS? Good show man...good show!
"Do it with style or dont bother doing it!"
Carpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
www.KINGBOTZ.com
KINGBOTZ's Ebay Auctions
Man, that looks SO much better!!!

KINGBOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
おもちゃは今とても暑いです
News Credits: 8
*wipes drool from the mouth*.......
TCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Getting a job to buy TFs.
Collection Count: Do limbs count?
News Credits: 1
It's hard to believe this is Classics Deluxe Prime, amazing work.
"Boo,
WAKA WAKA!
" -David Draiman of Disturbed
BLOODRAGED189 is offline   Reply With Quote