Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Oversize PE Reflector WIP

Reply Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Herald of Unicron
Oversize PE Reflector WIP

Well I haven't done any customising for quite a while, but this seemed like a good project to get me going again! I'm using the large knock off of Perfect Effect Scouting Force. My main goal is usually to get as close as possible to G1 toon accurate, but in this case a lot of the choices have been made already; not necessarily how I would have done them if working from scratch, but well enough that I'm happy to go along with it.

The KO is made from cheapo colourful plastic and several features are missing from the PE original, like waist swivel and ankle tilt. It's fairly easy to add these back in, but while I was at it I decided to upgrade him a bit to better resemble the toon. So a new hip piece and new foot detail have been added, and I will be replacing the fists with fold away hands.

The legs have also needed some work to reinforce the flimsy plastic, and I've decided to alter the detailing on the shins.

Haven't started on the head yet, but already I think Reflector is looking a lot better (the new hip hopefully overcomes PE Reflector's short and stumpy design). By the way, the paint I used looks almost blue in the photos but is actually more of a lilac colour.

Attached Thumbnails
Oversize PE Reflector WIP-refwip5.jpg   Oversize PE Reflector WIP-refwip.jpg   Oversize PE Reflector WIP-refwip1.jpg   Oversize PE Reflector WIP-refwip2.jpg   Oversize PE Reflector WIP-refwip3.jpg  

Oversize PE Reflector WIP-refwip4.jpg  
OptimusTimelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Predacon
Collection Count: 600+
nice work!!
Optimus1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Decepticon
awesome work man, great to see you back to customizing, btw what did you use for viewfinder's chest?
Optimus0085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Decepticon sympathizer
Alloy Alchemist's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: KEEPERS? 16 MPs,10 alternators,15 classics/universe,10 3rd party ...20 in progress customs
looks great so far and I know they will be awesome when your done because of your preveious work.
Alloy Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Kaon Gladiator Champion
Collection Count: OF BODIES? I destroy ALL who oppose me!
News Credits: 2
I knew you would knock this out of park... No surprise there.

Cannot wait for the final version. A step by step tut would be awesome. Or maybe just price quote for a fellow collector and fan of yours.
Alucard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Herald of Unicron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus0085 View Post
awesome work man, great to see you back to customizing, btw what did you use for viewfinder's chest?
Thanks! You mean the circular detail in the camera lens? Believe it or not, it's a wheel hub from a junker Alternator Skids that I had lying around! Figured it would look better than anything I could build from scratch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloy Alchemist View Post
looks great so far and I know they will be awesome when your done because of your preveious work.
Ha ha cheers, I still consider myself an amateur compared to most of the guys on Radicons though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard77 View Post
I knew you would knock this out of park... No surprise there.

Cannot wait for the final version. A step by step tut would be awesome. Or maybe just price quote for a fellow collector and fan of yours.
Thanks Alucard, I was going to PM you about this thread cos I knew you were waiting for it! I'll try to keep posting what I'm doing so people can follow, it shouldn't be a particularly difficult project for most folks. As I say, I'm not some super pro or anything. A few cuts here and there and a few bits of styrene... I think anyone could do it really.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Nobody Summons Megatron
Megatron31's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Enough
Sweet I can't wait to see where this goes.

Cause looks fantastic so far

I Still Function!!!!!!!!

Megatron31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
World Smallest Mini-Con
G60Force's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 99+
LOL.... total genius using a wheelrim as viewfinder... gonna use take idea
WIP'S/COMPLETED/COMMISSIONS

MY WANTS / MY SALES... COMMISSIONS OPEN!
G60Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Prepare for extermination
Collection Count: 33
News Credits: 1
Man this is gonna be epic. Where'd you get styrene from btw cos looking at what you've done makes me wanna go back to my guys and follow your lead!
TigerBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Herald of Unicron
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlade View Post
Man this is gonna be epic. Where'd you get styrene from btw cos looking at what you've done makes me wanna go back to my guys and follow your lead!
Thanks dude! Artsy crafty sort of places... There's lots on eBay, it's just sheet styrene/plasticard. Comes in different thicknesses. Get some Pro-Weld liquid to join the pieces together, it literally welds them in place.