Beast Hunters Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Twin Cast, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Twin Cast

Twin Cast Member

News Credits:
    Confronted with buying the rest of the Beast Hunters Wave 1 remolds (Bumblebee, Soundwave, Wheeljack) the only one I could bring myself to throw in the cart - without hesitation - was Wheeljack. I felt the PRID Wheeljack, along with PRID Vehicon, was one of those "pinnacle" molds that achieved an amazing balance of design, solid feel, innovative transformation, and elegance in transformation that made it as fun to pick up the 80th time as the first time. I'm glad to report that Beast Hunters Wheeljack adds an armory to a great mold while taking very little away.

VEHICLE MODE:
    The sleek form of the original PRID Wheeljack still hums underneath the surface of a newly spiked out, ready-to-shred Beast Hunters Wheeljack, and the thoroughness of the change makes it work. Nearly every external facing part of the car has some significant remolding, and most of these parts carry through to the robot form as well. There's a great "marble wash" effect on many parts of the figure (front hood of the car, wings, spear tip) which really gives a great effect and helps differentiate this version from its predecessor, particularly because the overall color palette is the same (although the placement is an evolution). The car form loses a bit of aerodynamics in the back with a big attachment port, but functionally this allows quite of a bit of addition in terms of armament. Also, the wings can be flipped out to achieve a larger "rear fin" which adds to the aesthetic.

TRANSFORMATION / ACCESSORIES / WHATS NEW:
    Unchanged since the original, with an added set of "wings / cape" attached to the original homage-styled wings. These fan out rather than rotate partways like the original, and can be positioned many, many ways - straight down like a cape, angled outwards like V-wings, or straight perpendicular like a T or Jetpack. Also worth noting the spear has can expand out from its compact form two a two-handled sphere which can pressure-shoot a white capture ring- which handily can be held like a Frisbee or data disc..

ROBOT MODE:
    Ol Jacky's looking ready to mix it up. Head design change is subtle, with the side crests now having a "serrated" quality similar to the edges of the car. Shoulders are more angled and prominent before (and again can be repositioned in a couple different configurations). On a minor complaint my figure's right arm and right shinplate are somewhat loose, which is noticeable primarily because my PRID was one of the most solid figures I own. The wings can actually add quite a bit to this mode, depending on the chosen pose.

VERDICT:
    One of my absolute faves from the original Prime line, this Wheeljack is definitely a worthy successor. Design and colors are consistent throughout, and the new wings, two-handed spear, and disc add quite a bit of weaponry to a formerly slim-bladed figure. Like Classics Jazz, this is one mold I suspect I just may never get tired of. If only because it's an optional variant of a must-have mold: A-

Attached Files:

2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    One of the few BH figs I really want, along with Voyager Op.

3. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

This is absolutely revolting...Thank Primus for the Masterpiece line.

4. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    I don't think this line will be for me, but the review is great! Thanks for sharing!

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not keen on how the hood has the marbling, but the canopy is pristine white. Makes it look like an afterthought.

6. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    I think this guy is completely AWESOME, I see no reason behind all the hate. They just look like "deployed weapons" versions that can retract all the spikes and junk any time they want, and they also just look really cool.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    The remolding on this one is pretty fantastic.

8. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

*Adds BH Wheeljack to "Buy On Site" list*

9. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great. Cant wait to find him along with the rest of the Beast Hunters!

10. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

can we get a shot with the prid Wheeljack

11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    that's neat, but i still like the clean car better.

12. Syn3sthesia

Syn3sthesia Well-Known Member

Horrible.

13. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Not as horrible as I was expecting but I'm still not feeling the PRiD-to-BH redesigns in general. Wheeljack is a great mold (I have two of the PRiDs, Dead End, and will happily pick up AM Wildrider) but those spiky bits seem superfluous and kinda ruin the aerodynamic and sleek design of the mold. BH WJ's weapon is ridiculously oversized and just unwieldy too. I'm sure he's a fun toy but I personally don't see the need for this version of the character.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The post-apocalypse/Mad Max aesthetic is actually kinda cool, especially with the "battle damage" effect they managed to get in the plastic (though weird how clean the bot mode ended up). It'd go great with DotM Megatron, PCC Destructicons, maybe the DotM Wreckers, etc.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh. Not worth the $15+ if you already have Wheeljack.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I was planning on skipping this guy, but these in-hand pics have me rather tempted to pick him up when he's available around here. Helps that I passed up on his previous Deluxe. Though I'm kind of curious to see who, or how, they'll choose to repaint this figure in the future. A Hot Rod/Rodimus deco would look pretty cool, imho. Though the Tron pose has me wanting to see this mold in black and blue.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The wings sell it for me. All he needs is all that clean white dirtied up like the rest.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm, I like the look of it more than I thought I would. Originally I was going to pass on this one but now I think I'll pick it up eventually.

19. Razorbeak7

Razorbeak7 But look, a computer!

Cool! I love the wings/jetpack.

20. Seeker7

Seeker7 Well-Known Member

I see a custom Rodimus coming on