How much will Pacific Rim hurt TF4

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by harrismonkey, Dec 13, 2012.

1. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So there's a trailer out now for Pacific Rim.

Pacific Rim Official Trailer - In UK Cinemas July 12 - YouTube

Watching it I'm suddenly wondering if it might hurt TF4.

I know they come out a year apart and that it isn't truly a movie about transforming robots.

But it is a movie about Giant F-ing robots fighting (which has been one of the big selling points of Bay's movies).

The only reason this might hurt TF4 is that pretty much all of Guillermo Del Torro's movies have been a good deal smarter and better put together than Bay's TF movies (as well as most of Bay's filmography).

If it ends up being a much better giant robot movie than Bay's have been will it raise the bar and hurt Bay's film (unless he happens to deliver a much better movie than he has so far- I'm expecting more of the same)? So far there's been very little competition in the giant robot genre to compare against TF. So by simply making a giant f-ing robot movie he's cleaned house because nobody else is. (I know there's more to TF than just this)

PS, don't take this the wrong way, even though I know it will be awful, I'm still very much looking forward to TF4.

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well if the Pacific Rim outshines TF4 (which it most likely will) this might be the opportunity to rethink the Bay movies and *GASP* actually attempt to make them good instead of being mindless dribble.

3. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

/thread.

4. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :banghead:  Why do i come here

5. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^

above

6. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    Giant alien monsters coming from a dimensional portal at the bottom of the ocean? It's like Godzilla meets Lovecraft...

Also, that computer sounds EXACTLY like GLADOS from Portal.

7. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TF4 can't get hurt because its going to be bad either way.

8. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ..I know :D 

Maybe it is :D  :D  :D ... or not

9. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Maybe it will have a positive influence on Bay and we will get a scene where Trypticon attacks Tokyo.

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I'm not worried about it.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If they were both coming out in the same month of the same year then I'd say there was good chance of Pacific Rim stealing some of Transformers 4 box office. With them being that far apart I think people will just add to the list of films giving people more of what they want that Transformers.

At least in the US I think Transformers 4 biggest problem is going to be franchise fatigue. It's really hard capture the attention of ticket buyers in the US if you keep doing the same things over and over without the hook of a story across several films or compelling characters to keep people coming back.

I guess the real question is how does Captain America 2 on April 4th, Spiderman 2 on May 2nd, Planet of the Apes 2 on May 23rd, X-Men Days of Future past on July 18th, and The Hobbit There and Back Again on July 18th hit Transformers 4? Plus all the animated kids movies that could draw away some of the target demographic.

12. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ....I honestly don't want to see bay creating live action Dinosaur robots...

The egg sack sparklings- with more screentime explainable

Female Tf's- They lay the Energon Eggs cmon now

Animal Tf's... well maybe Animals are just a common thing intergalactically, but explaing a robo dinosaur is kinda hard.

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Actually now that I think about it, if it were Voltron than maybe.

14. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I think any "worry" (or "anticipation") as to the effect it'll have on TF4 is premature at this point. They're in the same basic genre of film, and come out an entire year apart. There's gonna' be no direct competition for box office domination. Yes, Pacific Rim will most likely destroy TF4 critically, but that's not really a high hurdle to overcome. :lol 

For those wondering if Pacific Rim will "force" Bay to increase the quality of TF4, why don't you ask yourself this first:

Did Iron Man, WALL-E and The Dark Knight appear to have any discernible impact on the way Bay made RotF? Did Avatar, Harry Potter and Inception seem to cause Bay to rethink his strategy for DotM? They might've had an influence on a surface level ("I'll make the action and robots 10X more awesome!!1!"), but considering that his tried-and-true formula still turned in $830+ million and $1.123 billion for RotF and DotM, respectively, I don't foresee Pacific Rim - or even Avengers - having a positive impact on the quality of TF4. Unfortunate as that may be. I, for one, would LOVE for this to make Bay rethink the way he makes his Transformers movies ("What's that? I DON'T have to have racism and sexism in my Transformers movies to make them awesome?!"), or all of his movies in general. Plus, this is all assuming that Pacific Rim ends up being a super-amazing quality movie from every facet, which it may or may not end up being.

Either way, there's no chance in hell that this will somehow coerce Bay to say "Hmm, maybe I should really focus on the script this time around and see if I can make a tight, coherent story that doesn't cater to balls and dick jokes." At best, I can see Bay coming out with a statement or an interview that says something along the lines of this: "Pacific Rim looks f**king awesome, but del Toro is mistaken if he thinks he can out-giant f**king robot me!TF4 is going to be twice as bombastic and is going to have way more giant robots!"

Now that^ is definitely the real question.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It will have *no* effect whatsoever. Bay has his own style and methodology when it comes to making movies, and it'll take a major flop at the box office to make him change that. Why fix what isn't broken? (from his perspective)

16. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Don't know don't care, all I know is that Pacific Rim will be a tousand time more awesome than TF4.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Not at all.

18. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Somewhere between "Very little" and "Not at all".

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    All I see there is Godzilla vs. Voltron.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Then why the hell are you concerned.