Transformers Prime Deluxe Knock Out

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    TFW Transformers Prime Knock Out Gallery - click here for lots of pics!

So, Knock Out. He's one of those toys who took a little flack early on for some bad initial promo photos, and yes, while he is not on the same level as some of the other Prime toys (such as his wavemate the Vehicon) he is actually far from being a terrible toy, and is quite fun to play about with.

[​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Knock Out Car

We'll start in the logical spot with his car mode. The two-tone red and maroon look attracted some criticism based on the fact that it is a lot more pronounced than in the show, and while that may be true, it doesn't actually ruin the look of the toy at all, and makes the car mode a lot more interesting than it would otherwise with solid red plastic.

Looking at the car mode on its own merits then, it is a very nice car, sleek and sporty (just how Knock Out likes his alt modes). The maroon breaks out the red plastic nicely, and the silver gradient on the door - while not the detail shown in the show or indeed even on the promotional images - is still a nice feature. There are two hardpoints at the rear of the car for 5mm posts, which Knock Out's weapon can attach to, or any other 5mm weapon / accessory if you are so inclined.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Knock Out Robot Mode - According to the Instructions...

Now, on to the robot mode. This is how the instructions tell you to put the robot mode. It's a decent robot mode, if not particularly show accurate. The arms have a good range of mobility, although they look a bit weird with the elbow joints on the outside and all.

Good thing that the instructions were misprinted then, eh? They leave out a couple of steps which give you a much more accurate robot mode:

[​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Knock Out Robot Mode - Properly transformed

What the instructions miss out is the way that the chest panels can actually fold upwards and "hook" over the central section. There are grooves in them so they lock into place, meaning this was clearly the intention. The robot mode arms likewise can flip around for a more accurate look to the animation.

Transformed this way, you have a much more show accurate looking Decepticon. He's still not perfect, but it is a big improvement to the look.

In this form, the arms do lose a little poseability, because the windows on the doors tend to catch on the arms. But you still have an excellent range of movement in the arms, exceptional poseability in the legs (the feet are very well articulated in their own right and help with holding a lot of wide stances and one-legged poses). There's no waist articulation, because of the transformation, and the head - while ball jointed - is a bit limited because of the space it sits in. The shoulders also sometimes like to pop out of position.

[​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Knock Out Staff Weapon

Knock Out's weapon is the awesome little staff he used in his first appearance. It makes a welcome appearance here on the toy, welcome as it is a break from the usual trend of guns and the occasional sword. He can hold it single handed or two handed, and generally looks excellent with it in hand. The staff can break down into two smaller "spike" weapons. One of them looks a little like the shield generator Knock Out used in Operation Bumblebee. The other looks more like a sai in this form. With a little ingenuity, you can tuck this into Knock Out's arm and get a reasonably representation of the arm mounted drill he popped out in his first appearance. It doesn't lock into anything, but it can stick in there fairly securely.

[​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Knock Out Drill Arm Fanmode

Overall, Knock Out is not as impressive as the Vehicon, nor does he quite hit the same heights as some of the other great toys in the Transformers Prime line. He is far from terrible though, and is quite fun to play about with. He's got great poseability and decent accuracy to the character on the show, plus a good and unusual weapon. He's worth picking up to bolster the ranks of your Transformers Prime Decepticons, and he'll go great alongside the upcoming Breakdown. I personally like the little guy, he has a ton of personality, and goes great with the other Transformers Prime Decepticons.

[​IMG]
    Knock Out: "You know, as future leader of the Decepticons, you'll need a reliable first lieutenant..."

[​IMG]
    Knock Out: "Get 'em"

Check out more pictures in our gallery!

2. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    he's nice I can't wait to buy him and vehicon.

3. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    So he's the ultimate salesman? Unsurprising, he has the voice for it.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    nice last pic with the Vehicons! waiting for T.tomy's version

5. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    i actually love how knockout looks
    i know vehicon has more attention but for some reason KO really appeals to me
    and dont care if he is really small
    he looks really cool in both modes
    its a shame the character is a little "odd"
    XD

6. Some_Gamer_Dude

Some_Gamer_Dude Active Member

Damn that's awkward looking, like Cliffjumper and Bumblebee.

7. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. :thumb 

8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Other than those ugly ports on the sides of his alt mode I love him!:thumb 

9. Omegatron Prime

Omegatron Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really need this guy, needed it a like a week ago tbh but I'm not quick enough because kapow toys have got them in stock twice and missed him both times! Anyone heard of a uk release date?

10. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That does look much better (when transformed properly). I wonder if he'll be re-paint friendly. I really hate his paint scheme. It looks like he should be easy to do, but I don't know:/

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Enh...Not a fan...The arms looks like the worst the TFP line has put out taking the crown. Guess Ill have to see more, but dont care for it now

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Edit nevermind...

That's not voyager screamer, is it?

13. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cause' thats the deluxe...righht?

14. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep...and jeeesh...hes a small lil guy too then

Only comes up to the con symbol...jeeesh

15. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Wow - he actually does look like a pretty good toy.

16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    That's deluxe SS from the 2-pack with Bumblebee.

17. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Two things:

1: WOW he's tiny.

2: ... Hasbro is just kinda obsessed with including weapons the figure doesn't have in the boxart, huh?

18. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I am just not seeing this the way everyone else seems to. It looks cheap - very cheap and nasty. The paint looks unfinished or missing something, the transformation is too simple in some parts and not enough in others. The size is inadequate and the figure looks so lacking in detail compared to the Starscream he is pictured with it is almost as if they don't come from the same show.

I am not a hater of the series, I have a whole shelf of Prime on display but this KO is more like a KO than I like.

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That purple looks so freaking horrible.

20. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

i like knock out, i think he has a good looking mold but his deco sucks. The maroon and the red don't flatter each other at all, and the silver gradient looks awful. Its supposed to begin under the grill and fade into the door in a flame like pattern. Not to mention he has silver details that run beneath the door from the front tire to the rear tire.

and black tinted windows, damnit.

I swear when I first saw him a couple weeks ago I wasn't sure if he was what to expect on shelves or if it was a stolen piece with unfinished paints.

I really like these prime figures but damnit.....i am really going to need to refine my painting skills to make a lot of these figures shine....or shell out the cash to make someone else do it for me.