Modifying MP Megatron could be outlawed in Michigan

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Keith Prime, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    Heads up to MP-05 owners in Michgain, I saw a story on my local CBS News that removing the orange tips on toy guns to look real could be outlawed in Michigan (link goes to the first story I could find online). & though I don't own one, I do know MP Megatron has such an orange safety piece & know that some owners at least try to remove the orange tip, so he looks better.

*edit* another story about the same, this one posted a couple days ago: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/02/20/toy-guns-becoming-a-criminal-offense/ (this isn't my CBS, but could be the source of the story I saw)

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, because if there's one thing gang members are known for, it's obeying the law.

3. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's modifying a toy gun and using said toy gun to commit crimes that they are prosecuting. I doubt any DA with a brain would go after a bunch of people collecting transforming toy robots that just happen to turn into guns.

Just don't use your MP Megatron to hold up 7/11 and you'll be fine.

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well my MP Megatron never HAD his orange tip so, I can't really go about removing it, really whats this means is The Michigan Airsoft Group, will just have to be doubly sure to have our orange tips on when the police inevitably decide to detain us all at gunpoint agian without calling into dispatch to find out we advised them where we were going to be.

whoa! I sound a tad bitter.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Well that falls on the dumbass that was pointing it the Cop. Sounds like Natural Selection to me.

Seriously they have nothing better to do, if it's a Toy Gun, or a real one Cops have to take it from the stand point that lives are in danger and act appropriately. In the end it's on the mouth breather that threatening people. Oh I can't use that Cap Gun? OK, it's just as easy to get a real one in my old neighborhood.

6. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Until these gang members start painting the tips of their real guns orange and then a law enforcement officer gets shot......

7. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Yes, that is the purpose, but both stories linked to (& what I saw on TV) are talking about merely making the modification a crime.

The proposed law (according to at least the quoted article) actually makes that illegal, too. Why it isn't already is beyond me.

8. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

For the sake of being nitpicky...wouldn't 'modifying' MP Megs mean adding the orange plug? ;) 

9. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    They would never be able to enforce this.

It's ridiculous to have the orange tip in the first place...I'm tired of the government trying to play big brother.

If you point a realistic looking toy at a cop, you're going to get shot plain and simple...and rightfully so.

Survival of the fittest. If you're dumb enough to point a realistic looking gun at a law enforcement officer in the first place, then you deserve to be removed from the food chain.

10. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    What I read (just the stories) talks about making the gun look "more realistic". Adding orange probably wouldn't fall into that... But who WANTS MP-05 to have that orange tip? @_@

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:

Thank You

12. JR3X

JR3X Well-Known Member

lol, good 1!!

13. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm surprised nobody's hit on the idea of doing up real guns to look like toy guns.

Heck - sure, the PAINTING of guns to make them look like toys is illegal. But what about reshelling a real gun inside of a plastic toy you can buy on store shelves?

(And THIS is where I see how moronic toy gun laws are. If there's more restrictions on TOY guns than on REAL guns, the system's failing somewhere.)

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

As karma would have it, being nitpicky and all, I jacked up what I meant to write. Shoulda been wouldn't. :D  So according to the law you couldn't add the orange plug... Never mind. :confused2 

(Original smartass comment has been edited to be properly smartass.)

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This goes to my theory about how stupid people are.

So you decide to point a real looking toy gun at a cop who has a real gun? Unless you are trying to do suicide by cop, your a freaking idiot.

You know who makes me sicker? The people who protect the gang member in that case and say the cop shouldn't have shot.

16. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Its not just the government playing Big Brother. I'm sure you know we have a lot of fucking stupid people living amongst us. Its not just the ones who would point a toy gun at an officer, or those who would paint the tip orange, or those who would remove the orange tip. There are those fucking idiots out there who choose to ignore the situation as it is and cry foul about someone getting shot because they were holding a "toy gun." They don't give any reasoning toward the fact that it may have been hard for the cop to tell if it was real or not. They don't care if the cop was traumatized that he had just shot a kid. They don't care. They just cry foul, propose exaggerated scenarios and there's enough of these fucking morons that our government couldn't just ignore them. So.....to solve this problem, they made a fucking stupid law.....to appease stupid fucking people.

17. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    You know what I miss about America. Or maybe I miss about America. Not sure since I didn't live in the 60s. But back in the day, it seemed that you did what was right by the masses and let the dumb suffer.

Seems like today, you do what is right by the dumb, and have the masses suffer.

18. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Here's why this law is dumb: It only adds a penalty if you use a toy gun in the commission of a crime...but the crime itself is already a punishable offense. Just like laws that add more penalties to crimes committed with real weapons it's only objective is to make a political show.

So, in short, if you don't plan on holding someone up with your Megatron you've got nothing to worry about.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Even if you're pointing nerf Classics Megatron at a cop...WTF are you doing pointing anything (other than maybe your middle finger :thumb ) at a cop for?!? For the sake of little kids outside playing, sure, whatevs...but if you're a teenager or older and doing something that stupid, where's the outcry over how f*cking dumb people are?

20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Because even stupid fucking people can find loopholes in the law, twist it just enough to win a frivolous lawsuit after making it appear as if it wasn't.

Silenced by those crying about their freedom of speech to say the most stupid fucking things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.