Koujin Oono mini interview on G1 Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SydneyY, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mr. Koujin Oono developed Unicron toy for the 1986 Transformers the Movie as well as Fortress Maximus a year later. Unfortunately the Unicron toy was not released, but in this brief interview he talks about what it could have been.
    Apologies in advance for bad grammar.

Thanks goes to our Masabon for his contribution :) 

Disclaimer: The original of this interview was published in Generations 2011 vol.2. The reason I provide this translation is solely to help non-Japanese fans who are unable to read this insightful interview in the book they have purchased. Hope you'll enjoy.

Koujin Oono on G1 Unicron

- Tell us how this project (1986 Unicron toy) started - was it originally meant to be the movie merchandise?
    Oono: Yes. Unicron's character illustration was sent to us along with Rodimus and the others.
    - What was your first impression?
    Oono: I was surprised with his sphere shape at first, then worried about how I should treat the ring of the planet mode.
    - There was "Microman" Ryusei (Meteor) Robo* a few years earlier, which transformed from robot to a sphere. Were you conscious of it?
    Oono: Of course. I observed how my senior developed the toy, and it was my favourite subject. I couldn't help but be remindful of it.
    - At the beginning of the development, what size did you assume the toy to be?
    Oono: I made a mechanism prototype of about 10cm (3.9 inch) in diameter at first, and made another one after being told it should be much bigger at a presentation. I wish I was made aware of the size and price range (of each TFTM toy), but at that time I went ahead and made them all in the same size just to see how they would look. So the Wheelie I initially made was deluxe size.
    - I understand there were some prototypes (of G1 Unicron toy), but how many were there in fact? Was there a plan of releasing multiple types?
    Oono: I recall I made a deluxe size mechanism proto, actual size mechanism proto, a final proto and about 3 copies of it. Also, I was going to include a laser gun play at the early stage - the base turned into a laser gun, and Unicron in robot mode was to activate its light and sound gimmick when shot by a infra-red ray from the gun, but it was omitted from the final proto. The deluxe size proto had satellites with fine rings like the character illustration. There also might have been a styrene foam proto to show the appearance (of the toy).
    - You have mentioned a sound gimmick, please tell us more about it.
    Oono: The laser gun was omitted, but the light and sound gimmicks were still included, and Hasbro sent us sound samples. I was astounded - it was the voice of Orson Welles! The lines were "I am Unicron", "Attack planet Earth" and such. If we could actually release the toy, it would have been quite monumental. It is such a pity.
    - What prevented the release?
    Oono: I must say the price was the main reason. Because of the electronics, the production cost was expected to be severe, too. Although, considering that we were able to sell Fortress Maximus not long after, I do wonder what if....
    - What were your thoughts on the developments of Unicron toys in "Beast Wars Neo" and "Micron Legend (Armada)"?
    Oono: Frankly, I was happy! Because mine did not get to be released.... After all, Unicron has a very strong name value and character appeal. We need to continue to treat him well.
    - What do you think of the completed Micron Legend Unicron?
    Oono: I think it is very well done. Because of the different generation, it is very elaborate. The interactivity with Micron (Minicon) enriches the play. Also, I was amazed that the sphere product of Autobot side, Primus, was so well-made.

*Ryusei Robo toys were released in 1984 and the moulds were reused for Transformers (Beast Wars and Kissplay) and "Majin Eiyuu Den Wataru" series.
    Eggbird - Transformers Beast Wars II - TFW2005
    Eggbot - Transformers Beast Wars II - TFW2005
    Eggleo - Transformers Beast Wars II - TFW2005

• News Credit News Credit x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Encore G1 Unicron. Please.

3. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    So why not release now? People pay 600$ for TFs....

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    that was very cool to read thanks for posting it up.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Seeing one of the prototypes in person was a very cool experience. I would buy one of these things in a heartbeat if I ever had the chance.

6. sideways2

sideways2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would definetly buy exactly this Prototype if they would release it now.
    Hey everybody seriously listen: If we may tell our need for this Toy together we can convince them of releasing the ORIGINAL UNICRON.
    So lets start collecting names.
    I´m in.
    1. sideways2
    2. ...
    3. ...
    4. ..

7. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    If they had the tooling for this toy, I'm sure they would have released it. But it was only a prototype. They'd have to put a TON of money into it to make them.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In other words, way too much money to invest in a niche product.

9. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not only would I pay a ridiculous amount of money for this toy, but I would also smash my 2010 Unicron just to prove my loyalty to it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  10. Puffinator

Puffinator Banned

Sounds like a great way to get some momentum on it. I say we build a giant Unicron that has a crushing mechanism in it's mouth that can eat and chew the other ones up. That would make quite the statement.

11. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

If you painted that thing black and white, it'd be an Orson Welles figure. I love it

12. Puffinator

Puffinator Banned

Optional sled included of course.

13. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think that it will ever happen due to cost, but you can add my name to the list of those that would buy the Generation One Unicron toy. The Generation One movie collection just isn't complete without a Generation One Unicron. And this is coming from someone that has the Armada Unicron and the 2010 Unicron.

14. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Sounds like those were custom recorded phrases from Orson, dont recall the Earth one in the film..

15. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Reissue. Now. Rip out the electronics. Screw that, just give me a Fort Max sized Unicron.

AER YEW LISSSENINEGGG!?!????

16. gothsaurus

gothsaurus Evil Overlord of Doom

Ebay:
    I wish they'd post those phrases from Orson Welles, or included them as a bonus on the Movie Bluray or something. Very cool.

17. Shockwave69

Shockwave69 Supreme Leader

as am i

18. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they should only reissue it if it comes with a bag of Findus frozen peas and the Orson Welles voice chip ;-)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    That was a cool interview to read. I'd love it if they were able to release it as an encore or something but I just can't ever see them doing it.

20. TheG1Bumblebee

TheG1Bumblebee Bumble Kid

pls release it in encore line!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.