Beast Machines Battle Unicorn Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone remember this guy here?

[​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Battle Unicorn appears like a Samurai warrior in heavy armour. He wears a helmet with pike on top, has thick upper arms and legs, and pointed boots on his feet. A very nice job as far as detailing goes, including the slightly melanchonic look on his face. His weapon also fits very nicely with that image, a big axe with the horse tail on the bottom, almost turning it into a pike. So look-wise there is absolutely no cause to complain and the detailing on both the body and the weapon also look quite good.

Battle Unicorn is also quite posable, though there is one tiny flaw here: The construction of his robot torso is thus that some poses, especially when it involves moving the legs, cause him to split open, as the connections holding the torso together aren't the most solid in the world. Also, there is a tiny hole right under his ribcage (or where a human's ribcage would be), allowing you to see right through him. So all in all a very nice robot, but with some problems regarding construction. Still, very nice.

Alternate Mode: There are very few unique alternate modes in the long history of the Transformers, both in the area of vehicles as well as beasts. Among the beast Transformers, though, the only other horse-Transformer I know of is the Japanese Mach Kick and Battle Unicorn takes it one step further as well. He's not only a horse, he's a unicorn (as you might have guessed from his name). The only unicorn in Transformer history. For that alone he gets some bonus points for originality.

The unicorn itself is pretty posable as well. All four legs move and it can lower the head in order to charge horn-first at enemies. You need to be a bit careful during posing, as the horn, the crest, and the tail are all connected (they become the pike/axe in robot mode) and under certain circumstances can cause the body to become contorted or pop open. If you transform it carefully, though, that shouldn't happen. So bottom line: A nicely-made, very unique beast mode with no obvious flaws. Nicely done.

Remarks: Beast Machines, like most other Transformers series, featured a lot of toys that never appeared in the TV series. Battle Unicorn is one of those. He's also the Transformer that I have a lot of trouble writing the name of, as I usually end up with Battle UniCRON instead of UniCORN. I guess there are more world-devourers around in our world than unicorns (don't tell Professor Princess!). Anyway, Battle Unicorn is certainly not a revolution as far as Transformers go, but he is definitely one of the better figures in the Beast Machines line, has a very unique alternate mode, and except for some stability problems when it comes to his torso, no flaws. So a solid recommendation for all Beast-fans.

Rating: B+

2. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually became quite fond of BM figures lately. Some figures from that line are quite uinique in terms of appearance: hammerstrik, thrust, long horn, etc.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Beast Machines is wholey under-rated, mostly the toyline, though. A lot of great and interesting moulds in that line, and the contrast between the Maximal's style and the Vehicle style is great. Almost to the point where they don't even look like they're from the same line.

4. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I started watching Beast Machines one day on my computer and my girlfriend looked over and asked "What's that?"

We ended up watching the whole series together (I'd introduced her to Beast Wars, she liked it too, so she knew the starting Maximal cast), and we were both kinda interested in the differences between the toys and the on-screen counterparts, and saw this guy's name in the TFU.info listing... she said "Oooh, Unicorn!" I said "Hey, he looks pretty cool!" Wonder if I can find one somewhere...

5. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's on clearance at BBTS, try your luck there. ;-)

6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Not a bad figure. I just bought one a couple of months ago myself.

7. honcho

honcho BW Megatron Completionist

Ebay:
    Battle Unicorn rocks. I like his Universe repaint, Magna Stampede, 'cause he looks like a zebra. A Zebracorn. :D 

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have it. Love it.

9. LoneAndorian

LoneAndorian Enthusiastic Choir Boy

I loved TFs as a young kid, and last year, I started collecting them, instead of buying them as toys. THis guy was one of the first ones I picked up. Very nice. I kept the box too ( as I do with all my new TFs). I had a lot of BW figures, as my childhood occured while that show was popular ( I honestly didn't know that Beast Wars figs were Transformers at that age). When Beast Machines came out, I wanted to get those toys too, but only got a few. Most that I have now were aquired opened, second hand. THis guy I oredered off of BBTS MIB though. Great purchase ( he's been on sale for about a year now), and a great figure!

10. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I came in to make fun...
    Turns out it really is a unicorn...
    Really does look pretty cool...
    I'm sorry...
    That is all.

11. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Unic??n:
    [​IMG]
    :D 

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    THIS! Neat little guy: Badass Beast mode, a quite meh Robot mode. Love the usage of clear plastics which complements each other well. :D 

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Never noticed you responded to my post. I ended up getting him from BBTS for about $5, I think. He's quite the neat little guy!

14. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great to hear. Have fun with him. :thumbs2: 

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I found that his Repaint 'Universe Magna-Stampede' fits together a bit better personally the groin stays pegged better on mine.

I also like the white color more.

The Battle Unicorn mold has always seemed to look like 'The Trojan Horse' to me with the Unicorn mode being like that or like a medievil period Charger (armored horse).

I think it's quite fun to have Battle Unicorn in robot mode sitting on Mach-Kick's Beast mode it seems right somehow... almost like the Junkions do only with Horses.

I think there's also a slight suggestion of a chess piece and a Greek helm in his design too.

He's never really looked especially Japanese to me though more European either 1, or 2 thousand years or so ago.

I agree about Beast Machines Basics - I like some of them a lot too Mirage, Cycle-drone, Tank-Drone (Stockade), even Scavenger.

In many ways I prefer them to ROTF scouts.