By Generation: Laserbeak (Booster x10) Glowing Eyes Modification

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by royalestel, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalestel

royalestel Member

love the Transformers toys, I mean, take the Booster x10 toy (AKA Laserbeak). Very posable, has 14 points of articulation and just looks cool! It would be even cooler if he had glowing red eyes and no sissy "feathers".

Mashup an LED throwie and "Booster x10" and you get a great, menacing, Laserbeak, just in time for Halloween.

What you'll need:
    "Booster x10" transformer toy (now being sold in a two-pack at Wal-mart). $5-$9
    LED --Blood Red (scavenged mine from a free Target gift card.) $0.00
    Microswitch (I scavenged mine from an old fax machine. You can probably find one in an inkjet old printer) $0.00
    CR 2016 Lithium Battery $3
    Multimeter (Optional)
    Jumper Wires (Also scavenged from a free Wii Target gift card). $0.00

Tools:
    Small Phillips screwdriver
    Scotch Tape
    Soldering Iron
    Exacto Knife
    Superglue

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 1Old-Schoolify
    Remove the wings and cut off the extra feathers. The original Laserbeak didn't have them, so we'll remove them to help give this a more old-school feel. Replace the wings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 2Blind Him
    Very carefully cut out Laserbeak's eyes with the exacto knife. This might take some patient, repeated scoring with the blade

step 3Insert LED
    Test the LED with the battery. Solder the jumper wires to the LED. Then put a drop of glue inside Laserbeak's head and stuff the LED inside.

[​IMG]

step 4Cut Him
    Very carefully cut out the square "button" on Laserbeak's back until the microswitch fits in snugly. Test the microswitch with a multimeter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 5Trim the Fat Off
    Insert the battery and fold Laserbeak's legs in. See how we're going to need to trim some plastic away? Carefully sand or cut away the areas on the legs and tail that interfere with the transformation sequence.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 6Solder the Switch
    Solder one jumper wire to the microswitch and put the microswitch in it's place. Make sure the microswitch is in sideways, with the leads pointing towards the wings.

[​IMG]

step 7Tape the Wire
    Tape the other jumper wire (the one not soldered to the microswitch) to the battery and insert the battery. Test the circuit by pushing the microswitch button. If your LED does not light up, swap battery polarity (i.e. flip the battery over and tape the jumper wire to the other side of the battery).

[​IMG]

step 8Show it Off!
    Finished Laserbeak - Take pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.