Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Masking off wheels

Reply Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
IRONHIDE'S DRIVER
Collection Count: Five and counting!
Masking off wheels

I'd like to know what secrets to success the community could offer for masking off wheels. I tried using the soldering iron on the pin method , but it actually warped the wheel permanently without even touching the plastic.

I'm using testors spray paint, so I want the wheel wells to be painted as well, without getting paint on the wheel.

I thought about using a small plastic sandwich bag to wrap around the wheel versus using tape. Any suggestions or ideas?

"There'll be no more Hail Megatrons from you!"
NEST SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Prototype Black
Satomiblood's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Eleventy Billion
OP: since you've started a number of threads in Radicons GD in recent weeks, it may be best to link you to our Tutorials forum, which you can subscribe to like any other. I would answer your question, but I think it's important for members to familiarize themselves with the knowledge this section has to offer.

Subscribe: Tutorials and How Tos - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

There is also a Table of Contents sticky at the top of said forum with links to handy tutorials: Table of Contents
Satomiblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
IRONHIDE'S DRIVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomiblood View Post
OP: since you've started a number of threads in Radicons GD in recent weeks, it may be best to link you to our Tutorials forum, which you can subscribe to like any other. I would answer your question, but I think it's important for members to familiarize themselves with the knowledge this section has to offer.

Subscribe: Tutorials and How Tos - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

There is also a Table of Contents sticky at the top of said forum with links to handy tutorials: Table of Contents

I do search the forums, but your answer is a load of crap. If you don't want to help, just say so. I imagine if the situation was reversed, you would be doing the same thing that I am.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
is not insane. Really!
Insane Galvatron's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many to count.
News Credits: 7
Send a message via AIM to Insane Galvatron Send a message via MSN to Insane Galvatron Send a message via Yahoo to Insane Galvatron Send a message via Skype™ to Insane Galvatron
You must have either an entirely too hot soldering iron, or plastic wheels that are way too thin. The wheels shouldn't warp just from the radiant heat of the iron before you even get to the pin.

Click my sig to buy my Botcon stuff!
Insane Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Vehicon
Collection Count: I lost count a long time ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEST SOLDIER View Post
I do search the forums, but your answer is a load of crap. If you don't want to help, just say so. I imagine if the situation was reversed, you would be doing the same thing that I am.
That was a little harsh... attitude like that won't win over much help.

As for your question, masking tape. Plain and simple. strip of masking tape around the edge/sides and then cover the front of the wheel.

I have also used silly putty. Cheap, stretchable and reusable.

Transformers Legends ally code: 102850205
My Feedback: AutobotSDG
My customs Facebook page: Toy Garage Customs
AutobotSDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
ThyVipera
thyvipera's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: not many, they're all in pieces
yea, i'd suggest masking tape as well. mask the entire wheel, then use an x-acto knife and cut the tape around the wheel rim, then remove the tape covering the rim...then you can paint
thyvipera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Prototype Black
Satomiblood's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Eleventy Billion
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEST SOLDIER View Post
I think my willingness to help new and veteran customizers alike has been quite apparent in recent years. I have members in the Radicons community that can vouch for me in that regard, but if that's what you have to say to someone that's simply trying to guide you in the right direction (the tone of my previous post notwithstanding), then perhaps I should just stop trying to help entirely.
Satomiblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
IRONHIDE'S DRIVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyvipera View Post
yea, i'd suggest masking tape as well. mask the entire wheel, then use an x-acto knife and cut the tape around the wheel rim, then remove the tape covering the rim...then you can paint
Thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
IRONHIDE'S DRIVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomiblood View Post
I think my willingness to help new and veteran customizers alike has been quite apparent in recent years. I have members in the Radicons community that can vouch for me in that regard, but if that's what you have to say to someone that's simply trying to guide you in the right direction (the tone of my previous post notwithstanding), then perhaps I should just stop trying to help entirely.
I understand trying to guide someone in the right direction; Look, I'm not trying to bug anyone, I ask for help because I respect you guys for the work you do and the experience that you have.

That said, telling me that you wont give me the answer is like saying" Hey, I don't have time to help, or I don't want to help".

Perhaps my response was rude, but your answer wasn't any better, either.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
I give you: RoboCop 2!

Superquad7's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 11
Send a message via MSN to Superquad7 Send a message via Skype™ to Superquad7
Certainly check out the Tutorials section, especially since a lot of work goes into maintaining it.

Also, certainly post a thread and ask a question if you can't find your answer in the Tutorials section or by using the search function.

NEST, I didn't take Sblood's answer to you as being harsh at all, especially since yo're relatively new here (Oct 2011). Regardless, after reviewing this thread, I think you've gotten quite a bit of good answers to assist you with your project as well as some directions with our Tutorials.

I wish you well on your project, and I hope you keep us posted on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot Burnout View Post
BEHOLD: Superquad7; friend of the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught24 View Post
I love it when Quaddy enters a thread like this. Cause he tells it like it is not with force, but with hilarious images and wisdom.
Superquad7 is online now   Reply With Quote